Howeetest D

What is considered working, while on K1 Visa

29 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

anything you do to earn money is working even baby sitting / all has to be delcared on your husband's income taxes

earning such as doing nails at home for money means quarterly you file and pay estimated taxes / since you are not yet able to work, don't.

online work is the easiest to track, forget it

I know this time is boring but look to getting driving license and learning your way around

Stay safe

Things will work out

and welcome to US

Hi! Working in the manor you're describing is a grey area. I believe most of the people responding NO for sure have your best intentions in mind. If you don't need to risk it, don't. But I arrived in the US in October and continued working for my Canadian company online from home. I only missed two working days in the move... so yes, I'm working from home. I consulted 2 immigration lawyers and my company's lawyers before ultimately deciding to take this risk. I asked after my K1 interview about it. It's a grey area. I have certain circumstances that help though- I still have my Canadian physical address and all my bank accounts, etc. My payroll goes into my Canadian account, in Canadian dollars. Nothing changed as far as my personal info goes in Canada. My company is global but has NO presence in the US. There's more, but I think you get it. In a nutshell, I have not taken any job away from a USC. Yes, it's a loophole. Yes, others have done it. And most importantly, yes, I filled out my paperwork honestly and am prepared to tell the truth when questioned.

There is also some forgiveness if you admit to working illegally- I've linked it before and I think it was Boiler that mentioned it... if you look through my post history you can find it. Still... it's a risk.

I've mentioned all this before and have promised to update in the future what happens.

2015-03-07: Got engaged (L)

2015-03-30: Sent I-129F to Dallas lockbox

2015-04-14: NOA1 Packet received, sent to CSC

2015-05-07: NOA2 Approved!

2015-06-15: Received Packet 3 by mail

2015-06-17: Sent Packet 3 to Consulate

2015-07-14: Received Packet 4

2015-08-10: Medical in Toronto

2015-08-16: Received medical envelope

2015-08-24: Montreal interview- APPROVED!

2015-08-27: Visa arrives at Loomis location

2015-08-28: Visa in hand!

2015-09-17: Entered USA

2015-10-23: Married!

2016-01-11: Sent AOS Package I-485, I-765, I-131

2016-01-21: NOA1 Package received

2016-02-19: Biometrics

2016-04-01: AOS interview- APPROVED!

2016-04-07: 2 yr cond green card in hand

2018-03-12: sent ROC

2018-03-19: NOA date, 2018-03-24 letter rec'd

2018-05-18: Biometrics appt waived

2019-06-04 New biometrics letter received

2019-06-10 Biometrics

2019-06-18 ROC Approved
2019-06-25 10 year Green Card in hand

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

anything you do to earn money is working even baby sitting / all has to be delcared on your husband's income taxes

earning such as doing nails at home for money means quarterly you file and pay estimated taxes / since you are not yet able to work, don't.

online work is the easiest to track, forget it

I know this time is boring but look to getting driving license and learning your way around

Stay safe

Things will work out

and welcome to US

She has no legal status in the US and can't get a driver's license. She has not filed for AOS.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Hi! Working in the manor you're describing is a grey area. I believe most of the people responding NO for sure have your best intentions in mind. If you don't need to risk it, don't. But I arrived in the US in October and continued working for my Canadian company online from home. I only missed two working days in the move... so yes, I'm working from home. I consulted 2 immigration lawyers and my company's lawyers before ultimately deciding to take this risk. I asked after my K1 interview about it. It's a grey area. I have certain circumstances that help though- I still have my Canadian physical address and all my bank accounts, etc. My payroll goes into my Canadian account, in Canadian dollars. Nothing changed as far as my personal info goes in Canada. My company is global but has NO presence in the US. There's more, but I think you get it. In a nutshell, I have not taken any job away from a USC. Yes, it's a loophole. Yes, others have done it. And most importantly, yes, I filled out my paperwork honestly and am prepared to tell the truth when questioned.

There is also some forgiveness if you admit to working illegally- I've linked it before and I think it was Boiler that mentioned it... if you look through my post history you can find it. Still... it's a risk.

I've mentioned all this before and have promised to update in the future what happens.

Yours is a very different situation, No I9 being the biggie.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

She has no legal status in the US and can't get a driver's license. She has not filed for AOS.

I think it varies from state to state, but here in Ohio I'm able to get a driver's license. I need to take the written and practical but I've passed the eye tests. I only have my SSN and am filing my OAS on Monday.

Yours is a very different situation, No I9 being the biggie.

No I9? What's that?

2015-03-07: Got engaged (L)

2015-03-30: Sent I-129F to Dallas lockbox

2015-04-14: NOA1 Packet received, sent to CSC

2015-05-07: NOA2 Approved!

2015-06-15: Received Packet 3 by mail

2015-06-17: Sent Packet 3 to Consulate

2015-07-14: Received Packet 4

2015-08-10: Medical in Toronto

2015-08-16: Received medical envelope

2015-08-24: Montreal interview- APPROVED!

2015-08-27: Visa arrives at Loomis location

2015-08-28: Visa in hand!

2015-09-17: Entered USA

2015-10-23: Married!

2016-01-11: Sent AOS Package I-485, I-765, I-131

2016-01-21: NOA1 Package received

2016-02-19: Biometrics

2016-04-01: AOS interview- APPROVED!

2016-04-07: 2 yr cond green card in hand

2018-03-12: sent ROC

2018-03-19: NOA date, 2018-03-24 letter rec'd

2018-05-18: Biometrics appt waived

2019-06-04 New biometrics letter received

2019-06-10 Biometrics

2019-06-18 ROC Approved
2019-06-25 10 year Green Card in hand

Timeline

Illegals in CO can get DL's, but there are only a few places that process them and they are heavily backlogged. Scam on Craigslist selling bookings. which is quite funny if you think about it.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

I9 is a form new employees complete.

Timeline

I think it varies from state to state, but here in Ohio I'm able to get a driver's license. I need to take the written and practical but I've passed the eye tests. I only have my SSN and am filing my OAS on Monday.

No I9? What's that?

Most states require you to have legal status in the US.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Has not been above freezing for more than a month where I am.

It's ok - that's what hotboxes are designed to do. Grow stuff in winter time when it's super cold !

But I digress -

Doesn't it seem a bit loose-y goose-y that the adjustment of status plus ead/ap hasn't been filed yet? I wonder what the encumbrance is, really !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

14F outside and blowing like hell, what heat would you suggest?

Agree on the filing, you would have thought that would be a matter of focus.

Timeline

Yeah that is very strange. Can't be lack of money because then they wouldn't even have made it passed K1 stage... Unless they're above affidavit of support for K1 but not AOS? Or one of those silly reasons where the USC doesn't want to commit to AOS until they see the relationship will work out? Well knowing they are keeping the non usc out of status during that time...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Most states require you to have legal status in the US.

Michigan only required a SSN and I94 for a DL along with proof of Michigan residency, so the I94 acted as the legal status. The kicker is that the DL was only valid until the I94 expired. We had to go back once she got her GC (we could have used her EAD, but the GC came two months after the EAD, so we waited for that).

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline

​ I94 shows legal status.

Yeah that is very strange. Can't be lack of money because then they wouldn't even have made it passed K1 stage... Unless they're above affidavit of support for K1 but not AOS? Or one of those silly reasons where the USC doesn't want to commit to AOS until they see the relationship will work out? Well knowing they are keeping the non usc out of status during that time...

Most K1 interviews look at the 125% anyways, but there are a weird number of people here who meet the I-134 and I-864 requirements but simply have no actual money. One of the fun things about it, it looks at annual income, not net income, so someone could make say 30k a year, only need to make 19k, but blow 90% of that money. There was one person here who had a fiance that had like 18 court creditor records, and the CO asked them if they still wanted to marry the USC because she didn't know about his finances, she said yes and she was approved. While he had all these court cases with creditors chasing him, he met the yearly requirement. Who knows how much money he actually had on hand.

At no point though do they make sure you actually have the money on hand to AOS, they're just going to assume the people don't suck with money.

There's been a couple of people here recently who went through the K1 process then said they couldn't afford the AOS fee, weirdly enough they're people who have been on VJ long enough to know to save while waiting for the K1 process or before you start the process, but there are a lot of people who blow their money when they come into the country, their SO spends more money on them when they come in, spend more money on the wedding than planned, then are up a creek when they realize that they blew all their money and can't afford to save 1090$ish for AOSing.

Could also be a case of them having a cosponsor for K1, but not having the same cosponsor for AOS or something causing them to change their mind.

An unexpected job loss.

Unexpected financial hit.

Poor money management.

If the issue isn't money based, I'd say it's a red flag. There's been a few people here, who essentially had a USC spouse refuse to let them work and AOS just to keep them at home and dependent. =[

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.