Huggybear1980

travelling on a Cruise...pls help...Started as K1 Visa, got AP/EAD card and the I-551 temporary green card

13 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi VJ member's,

Me and my USC husband will be travelling on a cruise for our wedding anniversary via Carnival going to Western carribean for 5 days its still a few months from now but I noticed that the expiry date on my EAD/ AP is a week away from our travel date...so I may need to renew it (ap/ead card) but my question is how long will it take for the card renewal if I renew it and if I only need my ap card and the green card and my passport of course when I leave and enter the US or do I need anything else aside from this things?

I just wanna get ready before our travel time...I called USCIS and advise to file renewal at least within 120 days before the AP expiration but cant give me timeframe delivery of renewal card and the customer service said its only the AP and the conditional permanent resident card needed since its just a 5 day trip...

Does anyone had the same situation as mine? Any experiences or advise would be appreciated...just apprehensive I have enough time to do renewal but I just wanna make sure that I don't have to do or nbring any kind of documents aside form the green card and the AP card on the 5 day cruise...

Thanks

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K1 Process to Working and Traveling During US Immigration Forum~

~Similar topics are often discussed at this forum, past K1~

(mod hat off)

Your timeline indicates that you have your Green Card (I-551). Did you receive your 2-year Conditional Green Card (it is not "temporary")? If that is true, you no longer need to use a EAD/AP combo card, it is superseded by your Green Card.

For international travel: You will need for 2-year Conditional Green Card, and your valid Phil. passport. Be sure that since you are still a Phil. citizen that you do not need a visitor/tourist visa to visit at any of the other countries ports-of-call on your cruise.

:time:(update)

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Edited by Pitaya

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

I don't understand. Your timeline says you received your green card on November 23, 2015. Is this accurate? If so, you don't need EAD/AP anymore because everything is based on your GC.

BTW, are you going on the Triumph? I went two years ago and it was an awesome trip! It was to Progresso and Cozumel. I am hoping that my husband and I can go on that cruise soon after he gets his GC!

Edited by Amhara

Signature coming soon...

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

One other item that you may need for international travel if the name on your passport is different than the name on your Conditional Green Card, is to consider bringing a copy of your Marriage Certificate. :idea:

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

AP combo card? don't need it anymore,

as

you already have a green card,

which

trumps that AP combo card thingie.

Enjoy yer trip ! Don't let him live at the buffet, though - he'll get fat and gassy !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Chinook and I went on an Alasks cruise when Chinook had her conditional green card and her Philippines passport.

Even though the Alaska cruise had a stop in Canada, it is called a "closed loop" cruise because it departs from and returns to a U.S. port. She did not need a Canadian visitor's visa.

Chinook's cruise ticket was in her maiden name because that was the name on her Philippines passport. She also brought along our marriage certificate, but was not asked to show it.

Before we purchased the cruise tickets, I verified with the cruise line's customer service people that Chinook would be allowed to board the ship with the documents I listed above, and that she would not need a Canadian visitor's visa. I strongly recommend verifying this with the cruise line. We even took a copy of the email from the cruise line with us.

Upon returning to the U.S., the officials at the dock did not look at anyone's passport or green card.

We love cruising. Have a wonderful cruise...!

Timeline

Thanks, its kind of confusing coz the first uscis agent i asked said its only the conditional green card i needed but then when i called back to check again the other agent said renew the combo ap/ead card...r u also saying that i dont need to renew the combo card anymore since i have the conditional green card with me? That make me think since its also a work permit card so i dont need to renew it anymore right?

I don't understand. Your timeline says you received your green card on November 23, 2015. Is this accurate? If so, you don't need EAD/AP anymore because everything is based on your GC.

BTW, are you going on the Triumph? I went two years ago and it was an awesome trip! It was to Progresso and Cozumel. I am hoping that my husband and I can go on that cruise soon after he gets his GC!

Timeline

Yes im holding the conditional 2 yr green card with the combo ead/ap card...2 agents give me 2 different advise via us is so im just confused reading on the reply frim u guys if i get it correctly since i have the conditional green card i dont even have to renew the combo card anymore right? Coz im working here in Texas too so i dont have to renew it anymore... Yes we are going to Triumph too my in laws love to on cruise every year and this is our first time travelling with them and they are the one who booked the trip and said we're gonna enjoy it. We are so excited? Thanks.

Timeline

Thanks, at least i know what to expect now when its time to go cruising...i just wanna make sure we are doing things right. I appreciate it guys, thanks again?

Timeline

One other item that you may need for international travel if the name on your passport is different than the name on your Conditional Green Card, is to consider bringing a copy of your Marriage Certificate. :idea:

Yes i will definitely bring the marriage certificate with me, thanks again? Appreciate it.

AP combo card? don't need it anymore,

as

you already have a green card,

which

trumps that AP combo card thingie.

Enjoy yer trip ! Don't let him live at the buffet, though - he'll get fat and gassy !

Thanks, yes my in laws say the same thing unlimited food and drinks but alcohol is expensive on board?

Did you check with the cruise line to find out whether you need any visitor's visas?

If you don't have all of the requirements, they will not allow you to board the ship.

Edited by Tahoma

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Yes im holding the conditional 2 yr green card with the combo ead/ap card...2 agents give me 2 different advise via us is so im just confused reading on the reply frim u guys if i get it correctly since i have the conditional green card i dont even have to renew the combo card anymore right? Coz im working here in Texas too so i dont have to renew it anymore... Yes we are going to Triumph too my in laws love to on cruise every year and this is our first time travelling with them and they are the one who booked the trip and said we're gonna enjoy it. We are so excited? Thanks.

You are a lawful permanent resident of the US. Permanent residents(green card holders) do not require work authorization and travel documents(unless you need to be out of the US for a long period of time and need a re-entry permit).

You do not need to renew the EAD and AP. You can work, travel abroad and re-enter the US because you are a permanent resident and hold a green card. The EAD/AP were only needed while you were waiting to get your green card approved.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I am not sure what the USCIS agent was responding to, or if they didn't realize you already had your GC in hand. You can frame the EAD/AP now as it is useless once the GC is received. You are good for re-entry from your cruise, but as others have stated, check the visa requirements associate with your cruise and ports-of-calls, and keep your marriage certificate with you.

Otherwise, enjoy your honeymoon!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.