daniellebh

USCIS IMMIGRATION FEE

15 posts in this topic

Hello. My fiance was approved to come to the United States four weeks ago on a K-1 fiance visa. We must pay the USCIS immigration fee for $165. I have tried sooo many times to pay this fee by entering his A number and DOS case id number EXACTLY as it is found on his paperwork. Every single time I receive an error message that his numbers have not been found in their system. What should I do? There is not an immigration office in my city and I am starting to get really worried about paying this fee seeing we are about to get married and apply for a green card.

No they do not. The fee is for producing the green card which your fiancé cannot get until he adjusts his status.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

From the USCIS website:

Exemptions

The following groups do not have to pay the USCIS Immigrant Fee:

• Children who enter the United States under the orphan or Hague adoption programs;
  • Iraqi and Afghan special immigrants;
  • Returning lawful permanent residents (SB-1s); and
  • K nonimmigrants.

The $165 fee is intended to cover the cost of producing and mailing out the actual, physical green card that is mailed to new immigrants after they enter the US for the first time on a valid immigrant visa. K-1 is technically a nonimmigrant visa - it's the adjustment of status process after the K-1 holder enters the US and marries that makes them an immigrant and triggers the production of the GC, not the K-1 visa. The cost of your fiance's actual, physical GC will be covered by the fees for the AOS process.

Incoming CR-1 visa holders have to pay the fee, i.e. spouses of US citizens, not fiances. Perhaps the person who gave you the form at your interview went onto autopilot for a moment and gave you the same spiel they'd give to a CR-1 entrant? It's happened to VJ members before, and those of them who have called USCIS to check have all been told that K-1 holders do not have to pay the $165 fee. Someone out there at the consulates isn't drinking enough coffee before their interviews :)

Eighteen years in the US and I still don't understand Velveeta, TV ads for prescription drugs, only getting 2 weeks paid vacation, or why anyone believes anything they see on Fox "News".

I think you're thinking of the DS160 fee...each embassy is a little different but I paid the fee online after completing the DS160

I think you're thinking of the DS160 fee...each embassy is a little different but I paid the fee online after completing the DS160

That would make sense, except that the DS-160 fee (I think the official term is "MRV fee" and it's $265 for a K-1) has to be paid before scheduling the interview, and the OP said that her fiance's K-1 had already been approved.

I'm sticking with my theory that there are a few COs out there who just aren't getting their morning caffeine.

Eighteen years in the US and I still don't understand Velveeta, TV ads for prescription drugs, only getting 2 weeks paid vacation, or why anyone believes anything they see on Fox "News".

Hello. My fiance was approved to come to the United States four weeks ago on a K-1 fiance visa. We must pay the USCIS immigration fee for $165. I have tried sooo many times to pay this fee by entering his A number and DOS case id number EXACTLY as it is found on his paperwork. Every single time I receive an error message that his numbers have not been found in their system. What should I do? There is not an immigration office in my city and I am starting to get really worried about paying this fee seeing we are about to get married and apply for a green card.

You don't pay this fee. Instead you get to pay $1070 once you are married and submit your I-485/I-765/I-131 AOS package.

See the following Link.

http://www.uscis.gov/i-129f

K1 Filing Fee is $340.00 at the time of filing the I-129F Application.

Met onilne 17 Jan 2012, via skype & yahoo IM

Married 4 Dec 2013

I-130 Filed 1/24/2014

I-130 NOA1 2/7/2014

I-130 NOA2 7/11/2014 Approved

I-130 Package Sent to NVC 7/31/2014

I-130 Package Received at NVC 8/4/2014

Case Uploaded 8/13/2014

Received Case # and Invoice # 8/15/2014

DS-261 Completed 8/27/2014

AOS Fee Paid and Cleared Bank 8/29/2014

AOS Package sent to NVC 8/30/2014

AOS Package Received at NVC 9/2/2014

IV Fee Email Received 9/27/2014

IV Fee Bill Payment Made 9/27/2014

COC for Malayisa Applied Online 9/27/2014

COC for Singapore Applied for at Local Office 9/29/2014, pick-up date 13 Oct 20

DS-260 Completed 10/2/2014

IV Fee's Mark as Paid by NVC 9/30/2014

IV Packet Sent to NVC on 16 Oct 2014

IV Packet Received at NVC 17 Oct 2014

See the following Link.

http://www.uscis.gov/i-129f

K1 Filing Fee is $340.00 at the time of filing the I-129F Application.

OP is reffering to the new immigrant fee not the I-129F fee.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

• 2 years later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline
On 11/15/2015 at 1:14 AM, waitingstill21 said:

How did you pay the fee online? My fiancée just filled out the form and submitted it, but we haven’t paid the fee yet. 

Timeline
9 hours ago, DaysNames15 said:

How did you pay the fee online? My fiancée just filled out the form and submitted it, but we haven’t paid the fee yet. 

Depends on the location of where you are, typically you will have a website from your local country's website and put the information you received after the ds160 to pay via credit card or banking information 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread from 2015 is now closed to further comment.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.