London2SFrancisco

Husband of a US Citizen on Green Card

40 posts in this topic

Thank you Nich-Nick.

Do you have answer to the question on stay of 6 months in segments within the year? Really appreciate your help.

Do the worksheet.

It asks questions like

During the past three years, I have not been out of the country for 18 months or more.

True or Not True?

There is no "six months in segments" analysis.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Actually CBP are the ones who would make a recommendation as to whether his green card be revoked or not. The final decision would be made by an immigration judge in that circumstance.

It does seem like he wants to have his cake and eat it too. A green card is for living in the US. If you aren't living in the US then you aren't entitled to a green card. At some point CBP may notice his pattern of behaviour and may move to have his green card revoked.

Hypnos - your comments are complete jokes. Do you think USCIS is so dumb that they would let him do this over a decade if there was no provision for it? Please comment only if you can help. Otherwise I request you to stay away. Thank you Hypnos.

To make you happy - yes he is enjoying the cake lol.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Hypnos - your comments are complete jokes. Do you think USCIS is so dumb that they would let him do this over a decade if there was no provision for it?

What is that provision?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

My father in law is a US green card holder and he stayed outside us for employment purposes. He has done that using form i-131.

Form i-131 can be used to gain permission to re-entry to US while keeping the green card active without staying within the US.

It is worth mentioning that he did enter the US almost once a year every year in the last 10 years but never stayed longer than 2 months at once.

USCIS approves such stay outside US via approving form I-131 and specifies a date by which he needs to return to US to keep the US green card active.

He would complete the form again and get another extension before he leaves US. USCIS has always given permission to leave US for two years, but only this time it was unusual and they extended only for 18 months.

An excerpt from USCIS website is below:

The purpose on the Form I-131 as described below:

• Educational purposes, such as semester abroad programs or academic research;
  • Employment purposes, such as overseas assignments, interviews, conferences, training, or meetings with clients; or
  • Humanitarian purposes, such as travel to obtain medical treatment, attend funeral services for a family member, or visit an ailing relative.
I hope it clears all confusion @ Hypnos and Aaron.
Hopefully, it will also help other fellow VJ ers.
Edited by London2SFrancisco

Timeline

Best of luck since you have this all figured out.

Why did you even bother asking people with years of experience navigating the immigration maze when you already have all the answers?

Perhaps you did not read my question carefully that i opened the thread for. Nich-Nick helped me with those while others either created confusion or provided unnecessary uneducated inputs.

Edited by London2SFrancisco

Timeline

No i never claimed that, not sure why are you trying to be personal...lol.

My father-in-law probably manages to satisfy all the 12 points mentioned in the article and probably that is why USCIS allowed him the permits for the last 10 years.

I have come across another person through personal network who has been doing that for the last 22 years.

I am not here to prove anything right or wrong. These are case by case basis scenarios.

I got help with my queries all the time here at VJ and this was a small effort to share my case so that others may get some help from it.

(Boiler also requested to add some details).

Timeline

The I 131 instruction form is quite educative about this situation. Applying for Citizenship which requires amongst other thing a full disclosure of past trips may not advisable, a legal consultation would be in order.

Please note most Immigration Lawyers are not that familiar with abandonment issues, make sure that whoever is consulted has at least tried a few.

Trying to remember the maven on this subject, I remember it is is a Father and Daughter team based in CA but for the life of me can not remember their names.

No i never claimed that, not sure why are you trying to be personal...lol.

My father-in-law probably manages to satisfy all the 12 points mentioned in the article and probably that is why USCIS allowed him the permits for the last 10 years.

I have come across another person through personal network who has been doing that for the last 22 years.

I am not here to prove anything right or wrong. These are case by case basis scenarios.

I got help with my queries all the time here at VJ and this was a small effort to share my case so that others may get some help from it.

(Boiler also requested to add some details).

He was issued the permit because he applied and paid the fee, no judgement would have been made.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

He has been doing that to keep his green card active while he is outside of US. However, next year he wishes to move to US permanently once he retires next year from his job. Then he will stay the 3 years and apply for his citizenship. That is the plan for now.

Timeline

Green Card = Legal Permanent Resident

Interested in seeing how this works through, do let us know.

Hi All,

This inquiry is for my father-in-law. My mother-in-law came to the US via Diversity visa program. Now she and her rest of the family are US citizens except my father-in-law. He has been taking permissions and extending green card for the last 10 years.

Question: Now that his wife (my mother-in-law) is a US citizen, will my father-in-law be considered as the husband of the US citizen and can apply for naturalization once he has stayed "3" years in the US instead of 5 years?

If so, will he need to apply for any special permission to get his green card application to the spouse of US citizen track from spouse of green card holder status?

Also, for a year to be counted in the US, i know he needs to stay at least 6 months. Can he stay 2 months, 2 months, 1 month and 1 month in 5 separate occasions within the year and get the year counted?

Thanks,

Appreciate all your help.

P.S. I hope this is the right section to put this, moderators please redirect the post if it belongs somewhere else.

If he apply based on her wife ( IR1) he will receive a green card and then Yes, he will wait 3 year for naturalization. Other path needs to wait for 5 years. Applying for inmediate relative visa is available inmediatly.

Edited by inloveVEN

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.