29 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Oh and in case anyone hasn't said it, vaccinations are required before you go to the US, because in Australia, the K-1 visa is considered an immigrant visa.

No, they are not. As I said above already.

A K-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa. The interviews are conducted by the Immigrant Visa Unit(IVU) for ALL consulates, not just Australia. This is because even though the K-1 is non-immigrant, it is a special type and has immigrant intent. It is still non-immigrant though, no matter that it has immigrant intent, and you will enter the US as a non-immigrant visa K-1 holder.

9 FAM 41.108 N1.2 Medical Examination for Fiancé(e)s > http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87492.pdf

a. Since applicants for K visas are essentially intending immigrants, a complete medical examination is required in every case. (See 9 FAM 41.81 N4 (a)(1)). As nonimmigrant visa (NIV) applicants, fiancé(e) visa applicants technically are not subject to the INA 212(a)(1)(A)(ii) (8 U.S.C. 1182(a)(1)(A)(ii)) vaccination requirement. However, we (the Department of State) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) have agreed that medical exams for fiancé(e) visa applicants should include the vaccination assessment as a matter of expediency. Therefore, you should make every effort to encourage fiancé(e) visa applicants to meet the vaccination requirements before admission to the United States. Nevertheless, you may not refuse K-visa applicants for refusing to meet the vaccination requirements.

It is better to get them and have them marked off on the DS-3025 at the time of the K-1 though. See the link I already posted above.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

In our case, we even knew about the MRV fee because I did that much research. I have done research daily since first talking about getting the visa and still research daily. I tend to over research, if that is possible so I literally knew of all of the fees prior to doing any filing at all. We could have gotten married, as that was one of the options we weighed out, and then filed the spousal visa but again, I researched that as well. Basically this is a learning experience for many and not an easy process. One of the things we first heard is that this will be the biggest stress your relationship will likely go through and it has been. But at the end of the day love brings you together and no amount of stress or time apart is going to change that if you are truly supposed to be together. We were apart just under 7 months this time around before I made a visit to him. Basically our thoughts are no amount of money is too much, even for someone who lives paycheck to paycheck, if you want to be together. Good luck O.P. I really hope you guys the best.

This journey isn't easy...we went over many hurdles along the way... We are together now, 4 years going strong... It's never impossible, it is a matter of having the strength and love to conquer all things along the way! 

(K-1 Process)(I 601 Waiver Process)(AOS, EAD & AP)

June 13th 2015- Filed 1-129f

June 19th 2015- NOA1 Received!

July 21st 2015- NOA2 Received!

August 10th 2015- NVC Received!

August 17th 2015- Case # Received over phone!

August 21st 2015- Embassy in Sydney Received!

August 27th 2015- Packet 3 Received!

August 29th 2015- Police Fingerprinting Done!

September 1st 2015- Packet 4 Received!

September 15th 2015- Interview in Sydney!

September 18th 2015- Medical in Brisbane!

September 23rd 2015- Letter from Medical Received!

October 17th 2015- CEAC changed to refused 

October 17th - November 10th 2015- emails and phone calls placed to embassy to inquire on our case

November 12th 2015- Email from embassy confirming refusal with news that we qualify for a waiver!

November 18th 2015- Received package from embassy on our denial and waiver information

March 7th 2016- I-601 Waiver overnighted to lockbox

March 8th 2016- I-601 Waiver delivered to lockbox and received (According to Website)

March 12th 2016- I-601 Waiver received (Text and email message verifying)

November 2016- Sent inquiry on I-601 (Was told it was still in line, contact in 60 days if no decision made)

January 31st 2017- Called NCSC to talk to tier 2 officer. Was informed it was with an officer and a decision should be made in 15 days

February 9th 2017- USCIS updated our case to approved! (February 8th was the date listed) 

February 12th 2017- Received updated instructions

February 13th 2017- Received official approval letter in the mail/ Booked medical in Brisbane. 

February 20th 2017- Medical in Brisbane

February 27th 2017- Picked up Medical Packet

February 28th 2017- Second interview and immediate approval! 

March 6th, 2017- K-1 Visa Issued

March 16th 2017- He arrives home : POE LAX 

May 27th 2017- We are finally married! 

June 13th 2017- AOS, EAD and AP go out in the mail

June 19th 2017- NOA 1 for AOS, EAD and AP 

Vaccinations for the K-1 are NOT required for entry to the US. They are required for the AOS after entry.

They are NOT required for entry into the US for a K-1 visa holder. I posted the link above to cite my source.

They are certainly required in Canada for K-1; so maybe in Australia too. This seems to be country specific (in Canada, they won't release a "completed" medical without all vaccines...)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

They are certainly required in Canada for K-1; so maybe in Australia too. This seems to be country specific (in Canada, they won't release a "completed" medical without all vaccines...)

That's what I was saying. I'm pretty sure I've read medical reviews where people said if they didn't have any or all of the vaccinations required, they were given them then and there. While it might not say that the vaccinations are required for the K-1, they are required for the medical. I'll ask tomorrow, since I'll be going with my fiance to get his medical done, and I'll let everyone know.

Edited by Neopol

That's what I was saying. I'm pretty sure I've read medical reviews where people said if they didn't have any or all of the vaccinations required, they were given them then and there. While it might not say that the vaccinations are required for the K-1, they are required for the medical. I'll ask tomorrow, since I'll be going with my fiance to get his medical done, and I'll let everyone know.

That's a good idea because that will be good to know for the OP. And I don't like giving bad advice; I don't like the taste of my foot in my mouth! Lol!!

Signature coming soon...

Timeline

I wonder what happens when someone refuses to get vaccinations, since a K-1 visa cannot be denied for lack of vaccinations. They are not a requirement for a K-1 visa because it is a non-immigrant visa. They are not actually required until filing for AOS.

All that said, I think it is good for people to get all the required vaccinations before, or at the time of the K-1 medical. It cuts out the hassle of dealing with that and civil surgeons once in the US and needing to file for AOS. I think it would make it better if they required the vaccinations for K-1 visas too, and then all countries would have to give them at the medicals so it is the same for all across the boards.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

I wonder what happens when someone refuses to get vaccinations, since a K-1 visa cannot be denied for lack of vaccinations. They are not a requirement for a K-1 visa because it is a non-immigrant visa. They are not actually required until filing for AOS.

All that said, I think it is good for people to get all the required vaccinations before, or at the time of the K-1 medical. It cuts out the hassle of dealing with that and civil surgeons once in the US and needing to file for AOS. I think it would make it better if they required the vaccinations for K-1 visas too, and then all countries would have to give them at the medicals so it is the same for all across the boards.

I think I remember stories in the Canada forum where they were in AP until they could bring in a completed medical. If I'm not mistaken, the doctors will not release the medical without the vaccines, so it can't be brought to the interview.

Timeline

I find it strange that certain countries force the vaccinations for K-1 applicants. Besides the Foreign Affairs Manual, even the CDC's technical instructions for panel physicians state that they are not required for a K visa > http://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/exams/ti/panel/vaccination-panel-technical-instructions.html#status

Vaccination Documentation for Refugees and Non-Immigrant Applicants

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has determined that vaccination requirements do not apply to refugees and non-immigrants, such as V or K visa applicants, at the time of their initial admission to the United States. However, V and K visa holders in addition to refugees must meet the vaccination requirements when applying for adjustment of status or permanent resident status in the United States (one year or more after arrival). Therefore, for refugee applicants, panel physicians must complete a U.S. Department of State Vaccination Documentation Worksheet (DS-3025) if reliable documents are available.

I'll ask tomorrow, since I'll be going with my fiance to get his medical done, and I'll let everyone know.

Hope the medical went well...did you get an answer?!

ROC Window Opened: Thursday 7th December 2017

Posted Package: Friday 8th December

Package Received at USCIS: Monday 11th December

Check Cashed: Thursday 21 December

NOA Received: Wednesday 27 December

NOA Dated: Tuesday 12 December

Biometrics Letter Received: Saturday 13 January 2018

Biometrics Letter Notice Date: Friday 5 January

Biometrics Appointment: Wednesday 24 January

I-797 NOA I751 18 Months Extension Letter Received: 30 July (in an envelope from 'Potomac Service Center' Arlington VA)

I-797 NOA I751 18 Months Extension Letter Received: 08 August (in an envelope from 'Vermont Service Center' St Albans VT) different version!

On February 27, 2018, we received your Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, Receipt Number EAC xxxxxxx at your local office :unsure: ?!

On April 9, 2018, we received your Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, Receipt Number EAC xxxxxxx at your local office :unsure: ?!

N-400 Applied 7th December 2018

N400 Interview 11th July 2019. Ended up being a ROC combo interview

ROC Approved 11th July 2019 (a few hours after interview)

N-400 Approved 11th July (a few hours after interview)

Oath Ceremony 22nd July - I am now a US citizen!

I went through Philadelphia:

Thursday July 11: I had my Naturalization Interview

Thursday July 11: A few hours later updated to show Oath Ceremony will be Scheduled

Friday July 12: Oath Ceremony Notice was mailed

Monday July 22: Oath Ceremony

Wednesday July 24: Certificare of Naturalization was mailed

Timeline

Hey, it's the Aussie Fiance here.. sorry for slack reply, had quite a busy week so far. We actually got our interview date today! 6th of Oct! Such a relief..and surprisingly soon!

I wonder what happens when someone refuses to get vaccinations

Hope the medical went well...did you get an answer?!

So at my Medical on Monday, I did have to get 2 vaccinations. The doctor was super nice and helpful, we asked a couple of questions, and he explained if there is vaccinations/ boosters that are required and I didn't have them there, the medical doesn't move forward. He said you could submit a compassionate refusal form or something like that, I can't recall exactly what the name of the form was, but that would put the whole case on a different pile and probably extend your wait until your interview. So yeah, it would seem as far as the medical is concerned (in Brisbane anyway) vaccinations are necessary.

It's probably worth mentioning that it ended up costing us $505 in total for the medical and the 2 additional vaccines, which was kind of surprising as we were originally told that it would cost $485 for the medical, and those vaccinations aren't exactly cheap, we'll post the receipt in our pictures sometime soon if anyone is interested. I did ask if the vaccinations would be cheaper if I had of just gone to a normal GP first, and he said they're the same price everywhere, and it's likely that Medicare (our free health care) wouldn't have covered any costs as this is all a 'lifestyle choice'

Anyway, that was long winded, but I hope it helps =D

Justin.

Timeline

Hey, it's the Aussie Fiance here.. sorry for slack reply, had quite a busy week so far. We actually got our interview date today! 6th of Oct! Such a relief..and surprisingly soon!

So at my Medical on Monday, I did have to get 2 vaccinations. The doctor was super nice and helpful, we asked a couple of questions, and he explained if there is vaccinations/ boosters that are required and I didn't have them there, the medical doesn't move forward. He said you could submit a compassionate refusal form or something like that, I can't recall exactly what the name of the form was, but that would put the whole case on a different pile and probably extend your wait until your interview. So yeah, it would seem as far as the medical is concerned (in Brisbane anyway) vaccinations are necessary.

It's probably worth mentioning that it ended up costing us $505 in total for the medical and the 2 additional vaccines, which was kind of surprising as we were originally told that it would cost $485 for the medical, and those vaccinations aren't exactly cheap, we'll post the receipt in our pictures sometime soon if anyone is interested. I did ask if the vaccinations would be cheaper if I had of just gone to a normal GP first, and he said they're the same price everywhere, and it's likely that Medicare (our free health care) wouldn't have covered any costs as this is all a 'lifestyle choice'

Anyway, that was long winded, but I hope it helps =D

Justin.

Thank you for keeping us updated Justin! My fiancé has his medical tomorrow in Brisbane as well so hopefully the cost will be about the same.

Timeline

Thank you for keeping us updated Justin! My fiancé has his medical tomorrow in Brisbane as well so hopefully the cost will be about the same.

Yeah no worries. That's awesome news! It's a slightly uncomfortable process, but nothing to worry about. Hopefully he gets Dr Kable, he was a lovely guy. Got a call today saying my results were ready to be collected, and it was done on Monday, so it would seem they get it all sorted nice a quick.

Good luck to your fiancé! I'm sure it'll all go smoothly =)

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed at the medical it says you need an x-ray, is the x-ray compulsory ? And what exactly is the x-ray screening for?

K1-K2 VISA
FEBRUARY 2015 APPLIED FOR I-129F K1-K2
RECIEVED NOA1
AUGUST 2015 RECIEVED NOA2
SEPTEMBER 2015 SENT TO THE DEPARTMENT OF STATE
RECIEVED SYDNEY CASE NUMBER
CASE SENT TO THE SYDNEY EMBASSY
SEPTEMBER 2015 COMPLETED DS-160 K1-K2
OCTOBER 2015 MEDICAL COMPLETED
INTERVIEW - APPROVED
VISA ISSUED

DECEMBER 2015 ARRIVED INTO THE USA POA DALLAS TX 26TH DECEMBER
JANUARY 2016 MARRIED 29TH JANUARY
FEBRUARY 2016 SSN CARD RECIEVED

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS
MARCH 2016 SENT AOS PACKAGE K1-K2 21ST MARCH                                                       JUNE 2016 RECIEVED GREEN CARD K1-K2 11TH JUNE
ARRIVED AT THE CHICAGO LOCKBAG FACILITY 23RD MARCH

APRIL 2016 RECIEVED NOA 1 FOR AOS/EAD/AP 5TH APRIL
RECIEVED BIOMETRICS APPOINTMENTS 30TH APRIL
MAY 2016 BIOMETRICS TAKEN 10TH MAY

AP/EAD APPROVED K1 13TH MAY

COMBO CARD ARRIVED 21ST MAY

JUNE 2016 APPROVED AOS (NO INTERVIEW) K1-K2 3RD JUNE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.