Mureta

Marrying in fiance's country after visa has been approved

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

Hello,

quick question, if my fiance's visa is approved, can we get married in the home country before entry to US and also remarry in the US withing the 90 days rule?

we have already wedding plans and have made bookings as we hoped to celebrate with the family before we started our lives in the US.

Does that affect us in any way?

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes it does. K1 is to marry in the usa only. To marry before hand would be fraud. Have a party that's fine but no wedding

Edited by Transborderwife

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

If you are married when you enter the US then he/she is no longer your fiancé and cannot use a fiancé (K-1) visa to enter the US.

Have a celebration, do everything but DO NOT get legally married.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

Yes it does. K1 is to marry in the usa only. To marry before hand would be fraud. Have a party that's fine but no wedding

lets say we have the whole wedding ceremony ( bridal entourage included) without actually signing anything..

would that still be fraud?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Agreed, don't push it, have your party and then get married after coming here.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

lets say we have the whole wedding ceremony ( bridal entourage included) without actually signing anything..

would that still be fraud?

People have been denied for having a party that was viewed as a wedding. Do not hold any ceremony that even remotely looks like a wedding.

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hello,

quick question, if my fiance's visa is approved, can we get married in the home country before entry to US

Yes you can

and also remarry in the US withing the 90 days rule?

Yes you can.....but then you'd be committing visa fraud and could risk deportation and permanent ban from the US. Your call.

we have already wedding plans and have made bookings as we hoped to celebrate with the family before we started our lives in the US.

Why did you do this? Yes you can marry there. Then the beneficiary stays in their country while you two then file for a CR-1 Spousal Visa, spend that money, wait about a year, and then can come to the US. Your call.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.