tdier

afraid of losing my son.

15 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Question here. My husband filed for me and im here in the states 4 months now. Im actually going through a rough time. My husband doesnt want me to work and we barely can afford bills and stuff. I've come to find out he's cheating and he treats me like #######. Im so fed up right now and considering leaving but he threatens me saying i cant take our 1 yr old son. Im worried on what to do.. because im afraid he gets to keep him because im unemployed. Who can i contact for help in my situation and what r how long should he be responsible for me after coming here. I have nothing here and I'm scared of losing my son.

~~moved to effects of major family changes from general immigration~~

He can't take your son away without a court saying so, however your son cannot leave the USA without his consent.

please fill in your timeline or at the very least let us know how far along you are in the process? Do you have your green card?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It does happen, but the details matter, usually a US Court would not let a child leave its jurisdiction. Sounds like you meed a Shelter and a Divorce Lawyer.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

~~moved to effects of major family changes from general immigration~~

He can't take your son away without a court saying so, however your son cannot leave the USA without his consent.

please fill in your timeline or at the very least let us know how far along you are in the process? Do you have your green card?

I have my green card. I just want to know who i can contact for help

I'm not considering going back to my home country! I just wanna move out and take my son.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I have my green card. I just want to know who i can contact for help

I'm not considering going back to my home country! I just wanna move out and take my son.

You need an attorney that specializes in family law to determine custody. If custody has not been established he has full rights to your son, just like you do. Just because you are the mother does not automatically give you full custody of the child.

Edited by Pinkrlion

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

You need a divorce and family law lawyer. He has rights but so do you. You can leave the home (not leave the country), take your son, and file for divorce. Since you have your green card I also suggest taking anything that you may need for the removal of conditions if that is a factor.

Let the courts decide the custody but don't leave without your son.

You need an attorney that specializes in family law to determine custody. If custody has not been established he has full rights to your son, just like you do. Just because you are the mother does not automatically give you full custody of the child.

While this is true, it is up to the courts to decide custody and the child can remain with the mother should she choose to leave.

Edited to clarify!

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Timeline

OP you cannot walk away with the kid, he has rights too, if the marriage cant be

repaired & you are oppressed by him go to the courts, some states have limited

help in having someone low on funds file for divorce, with a kid involved it

will be more to it ,custody, child support, etc if you remove the child/deny him his

rights , you may lose custody...Some mates think they can own the other due to

a GC they cannot, if over have a famil try to mediate , but don't let matters get ugly

this is America that walking away with my baby don't work like in JA. Since Kramer

vs Kramer men are exercising their maternal rights on a large scale

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Question here. My husband filed for me and im here in the states 4 months now. Im actually going through a rough time. My husband doesnt want me to work and we barely can afford bills and stuff. I've come to find out he's cheating and he treats me like #######. Im so fed up right now and considering leaving but he threatens me saying i cant take our 1 yr old son. Im worried on what to do.. because im afraid he gets to keep him because im unemployed. Who can i contact for help in my situation and what r how long should he be responsible for me after coming here. I have nothing here and I'm scared of losing my son.

Catholic charities may be able to help you. Contact your nearest office.

"A million years if I could live,
A thousand lives if I could give,
I would spend it all again with you,
Don't forget where you belong,
Only with me you are strong,
Not even the gods above can break,
Baby what we have"

Speaking from a person with experience, if the man is mistreating you with any type of abuse, its only a matter of time that he will treat the child the same way. If that is the case, you need to take yourself and your child to the nearest shelter, and they can get you help to be on your own.

8/22/15 Received notice of interview "call in letter" for September 1st 8am

9/01/15 AOS Interview Houston-APPROVED!

9/01/15 Card in production, Welcome notice has been mailed

9/05/15 Welcome Notice Received

9/08/15 Greencard was mailed

9/10/15 GREENCARD RECEIVED!!!!!!!!

ROC

6/2/17 mailed I-751 to csc priority mail

7/1/17 I-751 returned rejected (multiple items)

7/3/17 I-751 mailed again with signature confirmation

7/6/17 second I-751 delivered and signed for by Daniel Manchaca

7/10/17  Check Cashed

7/10/17  NOA

7/22/17  Biometrics letter for 8/2/17

8/02/17 Biometrics appointment DONE

3/05/18 case moved to local office

8/25/18 Extension letter (18 months)

9/29/18 service request submitted

10/06/18 response to service request

10/11/18  approved. No RFE, no interview

10/16/18  approval letter received in the mail

10/19/18 greencard received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

It does happen, but the details matter, usually a US Court would not let a child leave its jurisdiction. Sounds like you meed a Shelter and a Divorce Lawyer.

i like your signature :)

Here is My TimeLine for my VisaJourney :

Note : This is a US.Citizen applying for relatives category

• Service Center : Vermont Service Center
  • Consulate : Morocco
  • Marriage (if applicable):
  • I-130 Sent : 2014-11-16
  • I-130 NOA1 : 2014-11-23
  • I-130 RFE : 2015-03-26
  • I-130 RFE Sent : 2015-03-30
  • I-130 Approved : 2015-04-16
  • NVC Received : 2015-05-04
  • Assigned Case Number : 2015-05-14
  • Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2015-05-19
  • Pay AOS Bill : 2015-05-29
  • Send AOS Package : 2015-05-27
  • Receive I-864 Package : 2015-05-14
  • Submit DS-261 : 2015-05-28 ( The website was down for almost 3 weeks , no one was able to log in )
  • Send IV Package : 2015-05-27
  • Checklist: 26 June 2015 [ Non-submission of DS 260] i was not able to submit it due to the website issue ]
  • Submit DS-260 05 July 2015
  • Case Completed 05 August 2015
  • Interview scheduled on 9/11/2015
  • Interview shceduled for 10/14/2015
  • Interview Status : Approved

Filed: Timeline

It is one thing to leave a child and another to deny a parent their rights. They are two different matters and independent of each other. Either parent is capable of denying a parent their rights. Please don't act like mothers are the only ones who keep children away from the other parent. In my personal experience, it's the other way around.

The word you're looking for btw is paternal right. Men do not have maternal rights. The other appropriate word is parental.

I do know the difference of both words I purposely said that because my brother was

given custody f his son & daughter at 5 & 3, now teens they call him " mo-dad" and he

gets Mothers day gifts and cards not just fathers day, nope she was not an addict

or abused them she just had no interest in the kids, she never paid the $45 wkly

support ever my brother did not want it anyway (I think he should have open a trust & have it

go there for their college days) She never give them anything, he allows the kids to go to

her parents to maintain cultural stuff from her side and the language, now grown up

almost the boy is in high school & the girl just started College .They are bilingual

because he allowed them to maintain relations with her family Mom has 2 more kids

approx. 9 & 11 yrs, that father have custody of those kids too. So I did say maternal in jest

Edited by Jawaree

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.