Mikey500

New here, advice please

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello everyone. I've been reading a lot of stuff on here and it seems like a very jundgement free zone so I feel comfortable asking this question here. My fiancee is from Ukraine and we met on an international dating site, not a marriage broker. We talked for a few months and I decided I'd take a trip to go see her. I stayed for 2 weeks and we had a geat time. I stayed in a hotel the whole time and towards the end of that trip I booked another flight to go out there a few months later. The second time I stayed with her at her apartment for a week then we flew to Lviv for my last week. It was her birthday the 4th day or so I was there and we went out with her aunt and uncle and we had a great time. She seems to be closer to her aunt than either of her parents, talks to her a few times a day and she calls her sister. So we decided to get married and I've never met her parents. She doesn't seem to care if I meet them or not. And it's not like she's not close to them because she goes to visit them most Saturdays and stays the night then goes back home on Sunday. When I ask about meeting them and what they think about her moving to another country she says that they trust her judgement and that's about it. I've seen pictures of her parents and her brother but that's all. And she tells me that I did meet her aunt and she's more her mom than her actual mom.

We've been together about a year now. We talk on Skye every day except when she goe's to her parents because they live in a small village outside of town and their internet is only good enough to message on skype. I'm leaving to see her again tomorrow and we plan on staying in Kiev for a few days, going to Poltava for a few days, which is where she lives, then going back to Lviv for the remainder. We are gonna meet with her aunt and uncle again while I'm there for a picnic. Her Aunt seems like an amazing person, though we can't really communicate much, but she started learning English from my Fiancee who is an English teacher right after we met so we can talk together the next time. There is nothing else that raises even a yelow flag in my book but I'm not sure why she's not wanting to intruduce me to her parents. Yes, I did meet her aunt but that's still not meeting her parents. My fiancee is a great girl, she talks to my mom on skype every other Sunday and is really great in all areas but this whole parent thing really bothers me. I'm not too familiar with Ukrainian culture so I don't understand the differences in most things, though she tries to tell me but it's so different from American culture that sometimes I just dont undestand how it can be that way. Like their version of facebook, no one puts pictures of family like chidren or spouses on them because thats considered private. That's the complete opposite of how it is here.

I'm sorry for the long version but I'd really appreciate some insight into this. I plan on sitting her down when I get there and telling her how her not introducing me to her parents makes me feel and try to get to the bottom of this but again, I'd really like some insight from others that have more experience than me.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** moving from Off Topic to Ukraine Regional forum as question is specific to that culture ******

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

• I am agree with it sounds fishy not to introduce her parents to you especially that she moving out from the country but then maybe she is ashamed or embarrassed from where she come from or her parents or maybe she is hiding a secret like being married or something I would definitely confront her and ask to see her parents you never know best luck

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello everyone. I've been reading a lot of stuff on here and it seems like a very jundgement free zone so I feel comfortable asking this question here. My fiancee is from Ukraine and we met on an international dating site, not a marriage broker. We talked for a few months and I decided I'd take a trip to go see her. I stayed for 2 weeks and we had a geat time. I stayed in a hotel the whole time and towards the end of that trip I booked another flight to go out there a few months later. The second time I stayed with her at her apartment for a week then we flew to Lviv for my last week. It was her birthday the 4th day or so I was there and we went out with her aunt and uncle and we had a great time. She seems to be closer to her aunt than either of her parents, talks to her a few times a day and she calls her sister. So we decided to get married and I've never met her parents. She doesn't seem to care if I meet them or not. And it's not like she's not close to them because she goes to visit them most Saturdays and stays the night then goes back home on Sunday. When I ask about meeting them and what they think about her moving to another country she says that they trust her judgement and that's about it. I've seen pictures of her parents and her brother but that's all. And she tells me that I did meet her aunt and she's more her mom than her actual mom.

We've been together about a year now. We talk on Skye every day except when she goe's to her parents because they live in a small village outside of town and their internet is only good enough to message on skype. I'm leaving to see her again tomorrow and we plan on staying in Kiev for a few days, going to Poltava for a few days, which is where she lives, then going back to Lviv for the remainder. We are gonna meet with her aunt and uncle again while I'm there for a picnic. Her Aunt seems like an amazing person, though we can't really communicate much, but she started learning English from my Fiancee who is an English teacher right after we met so we can talk together the next time. There is nothing else that raises even a yelow flag in my book but I'm not sure why she's not wanting to intruduce me to her parents. Yes, I did meet her aunt but that's still not meeting her parents. My fiancee is a great girl, she talks to my mom on skype every other Sunday and is really great in all areas but this whole parent thing really bothers me. I'm not too familiar with Ukrainian culture so I don't understand the differences in most things, though she tries to tell me but it's so different from American culture that sometimes I just dont undestand how it can be that way. Like their version of facebook, no one puts pictures of family like chidren or spouses on them because thats considered private. That's the complete opposite of how it is here.

I'm sorry for the long version but I'd really appreciate some insight into this. I plan on sitting her down when I get there and telling her how her not introducing me to her parents makes me feel and try to get to the bottom of this but again, I'd really like some insight from others that have more experience than me.

Is there a big age difference? Are there some things in your past or present she might be concerned about them knowing? Just thoughts.

Edited by Team MicVic!

Filed: Timeline

What race are you ? I have lived in that part of the world for a long time.

I can tell you from the answer you give me. also what is the age difference ?

regarding not putting pictures of familes and children, even here people do it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Odd

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Well, this thig about her parents can be something weird and raise a yellow flag, but it might have very simple reasons behind it as well.

May be her parents don't support your relationship. For example, in the post-USSR countries some people, especially older ones, still consider americans as an ideological enemies. And many of them are extremely conservative in general, like in RUB there're plenty of cases when parents disown their grown up child when he/she opens up about being gay, for plenty of older people in RUB it's less shame to not have any children than to have a gay child. Her parents might dislike you just because you're US citizen or because you're going to take their daughter away to the US, across the ocean, and they barely will see her again. Or they hate the general idea of their daughter moving far away anywhere so she will not be able to visit them regulary to help when they'll get older.

They might even be against relationship started in the internet, some older people don't believe in such things. Like you know, me and my wife met online as well, but I had to talk to my parents few times before I could introduce Amy to them on the webcam because my parents didn't believe in internet relationships, they thought someone just trying to scam me for money. For them if you didn't meet each other on your job, dance floor, in the parc etc. in person like it was in their old times, it can not be real and there can be no feelings over internet before you spend time together in person. They got over it, but I had to put a lot of efforts to explain them how common in our days is to meet your girlfriend/boyfriend online.

Another variant, she may be ashamed of her parents by different reasons. They might have serious problems with alcohol (very common issue in small villages of RUB) or anything else she is ashamed of and don't want to bring into your relationship because she may be worried that it will make you feel disappointed or uncomfortable and will affect what you think about her.

In general, it is uncommon to not introduce your fiance(ee) to your parents when relationship getting to the level where you start to plan wedding, but it doesn't mean it's necessary a scam or anything bad. She might have serious reasons to avoid it thinking or knowing that you meeting them will cause some drama or will not be the most pleasant experience for everyone. Just some of my thoughts.

- Victor from Russia

Our timlines K1 visa - Citizenship (06.28.2011 - 08.01.2016)

K1 Visa Timeline (06.28.2011 - 04.07.2012)

• 06-28-2011: I-129F sent to Dallas
  • 07-05-2011: NOA1 (CSC)
  • 01-05-2012: NOA2 (184 days since NOA1)
  • 01-13-2012: NVC passed
  • 01-19-2012: Embassy received our case
  • 02-14-2012: Interview PASSED! :D K-1 Visa Approved! :D
  • 03-08-2012: POE
  • 04-07-2012: Wedding!

AOS/EAD Timeline (04.26.2012 - 12.13.2012)

• 04-26-2012: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago Lockbox
  • 05-02-2012: NOA1 (both I-485 and I-765)
  • 05-23-2012: Biometrics taken
  • 07-02-2012: Employment Authorization Issued (07-09-2012 - received in the mail)
  • 12-03-2012: Made Service Request for I-485, because case is beyond processing time
  • 12-07-2012: I-485 APPROVED! 219 days since NOA1. No interview/RFE
  • 12-13-2012: GreenCard in the mailbox, done with AOS!

Lifting of conditions Timeline (09.04.2014 - 01.14.2015)

• 09-04-2014: I-751 sent to CSC
  • 09-08-2014: NOA1
  • 11-10-2014: Biometrics taken
  • 01-07-2015: Approved! Only 122 days since NOA1. No interview/RFE
  • 01-14-2015: GreenCard in the mailbox

Citizenship Timeline (09.03.2015 - 01.08.2016)

- 09-03-2015: N-400 sent to Phoenix

- 09-10-2015: NOA1

- 10-08-2015: Biometrics taken

- 10-28-2015: Case is in line for an interview

- 11-02-2015: Letter with Naturalization Interview Appointment

- 12-07-2015: Interview passed

- 01-08-2016: Naturalization Oath Ceremony, I'm a US citizen now!

tTM3p3.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

As ukrainian, I would say it's kinda fishy and weird that your lady does not want you to meet her parents. We (ukrainians) usually present our beloved once to the parents, if the relationship gets serious.... just saying...

I don't know your girl, but perhaps there is an explanation....

1. maybe she is ashamed of her parents (if they are from village or so) - what is weird again....

2. her relationship with parents is not as good as she states

Any way, may be something out there, ,maybe not.......just have a sincere talk with your lady.

Hope your situation clears up! Have fun in Lviv :)

K-1 timeline:

11-07-2013 - I-129F form sent ---> 11-15-2013 - NOA1 - e-mail received, transferred to California Service Center.

11-20-2013 - Alien registration number changed.

11-22-2013 - NOA1 hardcopy (I-797C)

12-13-2013 - NOA2 approval notification ---> 12-20-2013 - NOA2 hardcopy

01-08-2014 - NVC recieved ---->01-09-2014 - NVC left

01-13-2014 - Consulate recieved ----> 01-14-2014 - E-mail from the Consulate

01-16-2014 - NVC letter hardcopy ----> 01-23-2014- Medical done

02-18-2014- Interview (Approved) ----> 02-20-2014- Visa issued ----> 02-24-2014- Visa in hand

03-02-2014- US entry --->03-20-2014 - Social Security Number recieved --->04-24-2014 - Wedding

AOS timeline:

05-13-2014 - AOS package sent ---> 05-21-2014- NOA1 - e-mail received

05-24-2014 - NOA1 hardcopy (I-797C)

06-03-2014 - Biometrics appointment letter (for June 13)

06-12-2014 - USCIS web status for RFE

06-13-2014 - Biometrics done

06-16-2014 - RFE hardcopy in mail ---> 06-18-2014 - RFE answer sent by mail ---> 06-20-2014 - RFE delivered

08-05-2014 - EAD/ AP - APPROVED!!!! ---> 08-13-2014 - EAD/AP card delivered

09-05-2014 - InfoPass due to RFE and SSN (RFE delievered June 23 to NBC).

10-17-2014 - SSN recieved on married name ---> 12-12-2014 - update on USCIS web (RFE received on June 23), the case could not be tracked

02-17-2015 - GC approved (no interview) ---> 02-26-2015 - GC RECEIVED

08-13-2016 - address change via web --->09-13-2016 - Address change via mail (web failed to change correctly) --->10-06-2016 - Address change of sponsor

ROC:

11-21-2016 - package sent to CSC ---> 11-22-2016 - package delivered to CSC ---> 11-25-2016 - check cashed--->11-28-2016- NOA1 (dated 11/22/16) --->12-20-2016 -Biometrics appointment

07-18-2017-address change-> 05-10-2018 - GC Approved

N-400:

02-15-18 - Applied -> 03-09-18 - Bio app-> 04-04-18-interview notice-> 05-09-18-interview->05-10-18 - approved -> 06-07-18 - Oath appt notice -> 06-27-18 - Oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I agree with pretty much everything that has been said so far, and have personally experienced many of the items Victor listed in his post. My wife's mother is not really happy with my wife's decision to come to the U.S., and she lets my wife know that fact very often, but Katya was quite up front about this from the start, and with that, I have met my now mother-in-law many times along with the rest of her family.

Based on your first post, it seems you have already asked her a few times about her parents, and she simply changed the subject. I think you need to push it a little more without sounding confrontational as you don't want to start a marriage with secrets, and let her know that you are supportive of her. Hopefully, it is not anything serious.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I didn't meet my wife's parents either, during our regular Skyping before our meeting and during out waiting for the visa. The opportunity for me to meet them in person hasn't surfaced after 5 years of marriage and life here in the US, but I regularly see them on Skype since she has moved here.

I'm neutral to your case on whether this is a red flag or not. But do find out why you can not meet them in person if you have the physical opportunity to do it.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Maybe remember that your relationship is with your fiancé and not with her parents. I think it is not too unusual in any society to have a logical reason for a situation such as yours, regarding your fiancé's parents. My view: Chill. Accept what you have with the woman you love. Trust her. You will have your answer soon enough. Good luck!

from Andrew

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.