dsldesch

Let's blow up the USCIS...on social media

66 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I agree. Personal social media is not a soapbox or open forum IMO.

They also want to make videos... Videos have your faces in them, USCIS have pictures of you and can easily find out who you are if they want to. Even if I were at the TSC there's no way I would put my face in a video speaking against USCIS when the fate of my relationship is basically in their hands right now.

Shaun (USA) & Stephanie (Canada)

● First met online: 2008
● First visit (and first date): August 2009
● Engaged: January 1st 2014
● I-129F sent: April 15th 2015
● NOA1: April 22nd 2015

● NOA2: May 27th 2015

● NVC Received: July 1st 2015

● Consulate Received: July 8th 2015

● Packet 3 Sent: July 13th 2015

● Packet 4 Received: August 18th 2015

● Interview Date: October 2nd 2015 - APPROVED!

Visa Received: October 9th 2015

Border Crossed: October 15th 2015

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

They also want to make videos... Videos have your faces in them, USCIS have pictures of you and can easily find out who you are if they want to. Even if I were at the TSC there's no way I would put my face in a video speaking against USCIS when the fate of my relationship is basically in their hands right now.

I agree. That's just asking for trouble.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You keep in mind that my sharply-worded comments on yelp.com recently took down a muffin store

Sheldon

Were there illegally dumping the muffin bottoms?

http://www.seinfeldscripts.com/TheMuffinTops.htm

The content available on a site dedicated to bringing folks to America should not be promoting racial discord, euro-supremacy, discrimination based on religion , exclusion of groups from immigration based on where they were born, disenfranchisement of voters rights based on how they might vote.

horsey-change.jpg?w=336&h=265

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

It is not a right to bring a spouse or a fiancee to the USA. It's a privilege.

It may be a privilege, but as the US citizen petitioner that pays the same USCIS fees and same taxes... is it fair that I am expected to wait an extra 6 months for approval in Texas compared to California for exactly the same petition??

Our K-1 journey:

3/2/2015- Petition sent Fedex overnight

3/3/2015- Petition received (NOA1 according to USCIS website)

3/5/2015- Paper NOA1 notice date

9/1/2015- NOA2!! (182 days)

9/4/2015- sent to NVC

9/17/2015- finally got through to NVC and case number assigned

9/24/2015-Status changed to "in transit"

9/29/2015-Dublin Embassy Received

9/29/2015-Packet 3 Received

10/7/2015- Medical scheduled

10/7/2015- Packet 3/readiness sent (Dublin Embassy needs medical complete before readiness is sent)

10/8/2015- Interview scheduled for Oct 29

10/29/2015- Interview, approved! (241 days)

11/9/2015- Visa in hand

12/30/2015- Planned US entry

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Right vs privelege is very interesting in our country. I would argue that as soon as the language of law is complex enough that the average education level american cannot understand, at that point only the priveleged can access the law. A lawyer at this point would be required. A lower income, with less access to the justice system american would not have the same access to pursuit of happiness as a wealthier one. As the law is basically a promise to level the playing field for all humans, and create a system of justice for all, it would seem we have failed, at least currently. There is no point in rule of law unless all humans can access it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Right vs privelege is very interesting in our country. I would argue that as soon as the language of law is complex enough that the average education level american cannot understand, at that point only the priveleged can access the law. A lawyer at this point would be required. A lower income, with less access to the justice system american would not have the same access to pursuit of happiness as a wealthier one. As the law is basically a promise to level the playing field for all humans, and create a system of justice for all, it would seem we have failed, at least currently. There is no point in rule of law unless all humans can access it.

How does that tie into this? What rule of law are we trying to access? This isn't about money. You are speaking about social inequality (PRIVILEGE) which is far different from the privileges afforded to each American. We are all still allowed to pursue happiness. Of course some have it easier...

Edited by Shauneg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Dsldesch, go for it man! Building awareness won't hurt. Sure, some xenophobes will critical - but those are deaf ears - ignore them. Who knows, you might make an impact and you might not. Does that mean you shouldn't try? At the least, it can help you feel occupied. It can help make you feel heard. And if your efforts get to the USCIS or management, then even if you see no result, at least you get to let them know how this delay has affected you and other's lives.

I don't know if your idea will make a difference or not, but you know what Dsldesch? Give 'em hell, man! Give 'em hell! (but not so much hell that you don't get your NOA2!!!)

Thank you, Amhara. You have been one of the sweetest people I've seen of this website, and while I haven't kept up with the general March 2015 filers thread, I truly am glad that you and the others there have been moving along swiftly. I hope that continues with ease and little stress.

I don't intend to simply be another angry voice. Frustration doesn't in general lead to social change, but if we don't step up and speak up, nothing's going to change. I don't think the risk in stirring up awareness and pushing for change is high enough to cause a petition to be denied that would otherwise be approved, so I'm certainly going to do everything I can. It might not be the biggest or most important battle, but all efforts at change must begin somewhere.

I love this site. Someone poses an idea and then gets pounced on. I really thought the point of this site was to be supportive to each other as we go through this road together. But, again I guess I was wrong. For example, when I first registered on this site after I sent off my i129f, I had a simple question which was related to wait times for nOA2 if both my fiance and I had no children, criminal records, etc. I had no clue about the process at that point, and immediately i received responses like, "it will have no effect", or "just get in line with rest of us", or "prepare for 11 months and be happy with 6." I was not trying to cut in front of anyone, just asking what to expect. That's why I rarely post anything because I may get flamed like the OP is. Geez.

Thank you for your words of support. I must admit, I was quite taken aback by the vehement nature of the majority of comments I received, but after thinking about them (and being more critical of myself than necessary), I realized that they're not worth my frustration as much as my pity. Resistance to change is hardwired into our humanity, and any push against the status quo--no matter what that may be--will be met with opposition. Furthermore, trying to speed the process demands a great deal of vulnerability, because I assume most binational couples have become complicit with their distance, and while we all long on a rational level to be with our loved ones at long last, on an unconscious level, finally living permanently with a fiance or spouse is a significant adjustment. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if those most resistant to any sort of activism to make the process more efficient have the most insecurity in their relationships, or else an end to the waiting wouldn't feel as terrifying. Of course, I don't think anyone would openly admit this (it demands much more vulnerability than our US culture condones), but somewhere beneath the surface, I'm sure this uncertainy plagues all of us--I know it's certainly something I've worried about myself. But I love my husband-to-be, and no matter how challenging it might be adjusting to our shared life when it happens, I know we'll make it through stronger than before.

I regret that your experience at this site has been so trying, but I do believe there are many genuinely good people here who sincerely care about supporting each other as we follow this road.

Change by the people is part of the foundation of the government so there is nothing wrong with seeking change but you will have to know which tree to approach before you bark. USCIS is just a branch .

I think you should do whatever pleases yourself including becoming an advocate for change. Be the voice I see on T V demanding change. Find your U S Senators & other reps where you can demand & monitor their actions. You will find the right direction which should lead you to Congress & lobbyists offices. They are all concentrated in a fairly small area of Washington for ease of travel once you go into action.

True as that might be, there is another viewpoint. It's a lot easier to pluck a few leaves and rattle a few branches than it is to chop down an entire tree and plant another in its place. Everything must start somewhere, and while USCIS might only be a branch, that doesn't mean it's not accessible as a place to raise awareness. Not all roads in politics end with Congress, especially when we're dealing squarely in the executive branch.

09/06/2013: Along Came a Relationship

04/16/2014: When Darren Met Harel (in person for the first time)

08/14/2014: The Proposal (but in Mexico, not Alaska)

02/27/2015: Flight of the Application

03/03/2015: Reception (Christopher NOA1an's latest masterpiece)

09/25/2015: 205 Days Later (NOA2)

05/11/20116: Engagement ended for familial reasons

I think it's important keep in mind that unfair or not, the waiting period it's unavoidable in TSC. And as other VJ members said before, it's a privilege bring your fiance or spouse to US, so that means our process are tied to their own rhythm. I really believe that USCIS don't care too much the complains about it because it's the usual thing in those service centers, one get better another get backlogged and viceversa, so its the endless vicious circle and I guess they don't worry too much about being "exposed" in social media because guess what, it's not new at all with all the immigration affairs that US face since long time ago.

If people get break down just for the waiting in TSC, just imagine those that get denied and have to do the K-1 process again or go to the spouse visa in TSC.

Patience it's the key in this process and I suggest you stop to following the posts or timeline of the people in CSC, that will only give you a negative emotional roller coaster that you don't need. Furthermore, all the problems, frustrations, etc, will be forgotten in a snap when your SO get into the country and even you will think that was worth it every minute of it.

Best regards.

event.png

Nov/28/2017 -- Mailed I- 751 ROC to USCIS Vermont Service Center via USPS.

Nov/30/2017 -- Package was delivered in USCIS Vermont Service Center via USPS.                                                                       

Dec/04/2017 --  Fee check cash out.  

Dec/07/2017 --  NOA 1 with December 01/2017 as the date.

Dec/23/2017 --  Biometrics letter dated December 15/2017 and appointment scheduled 01/02/2018 at 10 am. 

Jan/02/2018 --  Biometrics appointment at 10 am.      

Aug/11/2018 --  NOA 18 months extension letter dated Aug/06/2018   from Vermont Service Center.    

Feb/25/2018 -- Case received at local office (USCIS tracker- no letter not e-mail) 

Feb/27/2018 -- Case received at local office (USCIS tracker- no letter not e-mail) 

Jan/30/2019 -- Case Approved. New card is being produced (DHS- USCIS website & USCIS tracker)     

Feb/04/2019 --  Received  letter with Approval notice 1-797 (notice date Jan 30/2019).

Feb/05/2019 -- Green card in hand! 

Timeline

The whole problem is not so much that people are scared to make ripples or anything like that. The issue is that time differences between the what used to be 3 service centers and now just 2 flux back and forth historically. There is nothing inherently wrong with the Texas Center. If that were the case than I could see calling them out on it. Processing times flucuate based on a million different factors. TSC was shut down a number of times this winter due to weather being one example. There is no single cure or fix. In March they did start sending all petitions to CSC to help relieve the pressure, so the current backlog has already been acknowledged and that's exactly what anyone is going to say to us.

The have been numerous petitions and attempts to get articles in national newpapers concerning the subject. Many members here have been on conference calls with the head of USCIS and NVC at stated the issues that have plagued the system. They routinely hold town hall meetings across the country and invite people to come or sit in on telecons. It's not that everyone is scared to try or needs the pity of one man on the internet, they have just come to realize that at a certain point it becomes wasted energy as what can be has been done.

Timeline

I love this site. Someone poses an idea and then gets pounced on. I really thought the point of this site was to be supportive to each other as we go through this road together. But, again I guess I was wrong. For example, when I first registered on this site after I sent off my i129f, I had a simple question which was related to wait times for nOA2 if both my fiance and I had no children, criminal records, etc. I had no clue about the process at that point, and immediately i received responses like, "it will have no effect", or "just get in line with rest of us", or "prepare for 11 months and be happy with 6." I was not trying to cut in front of anyone, just asking what to expect. That's why I rarely post anything because I may get flamed like the OP is. Geez.

Sometimes people are curt and short with their answers. Most of the time people are just trying to be straight forward and not beat around the bush. There are a few times where people will spend a paragraph explaining and asking a question that has been asked and answered a thousand times and can be googled in about 10 seconds. Sometimes people want it all laid out at their feet and expect others to do the fact finding for them. I guess that can annoy some and they take it out on them, right or wrong.

Two of three answers you gave above seem spot on, are to the point, and I see no issue with them, but "just get in line with rest of us" is pretty rude. I think some people come here looking and think this is support forum and seek just that. While others, especially the majority of respondants are around to guide and inform and aren't worried about mincing words.

Edited by Shauneg

Agree'd with both of the above.

One main factor to them not being scared of what's said on social media. Even on the USCIS page for TSC it even says they're just now doing K1's from September of last year. It's kind of hard to scare someone with the truth when they post it on their own page. I'm very sure they're aware of all of this, and well bureaucracy has it's limits.

That being said, people also need to remember average doesn't mean latest date, it means average. There will be people who get theirs faster than the average time and those who get theirs much later than the average time, that's how they found the average date in the first place.

Edit: I guess the snippy responses is because there are some who are simply more patient than others and/or experienced a wait like this before. Comparing feelings and emotions on something that we can't control is where the snippyness comes from. People have also admitted in threads that they're rash simply because they're tired of seeing the same thing being asked.

Good example is there was a guy who asked what a question meant on the I-129F. It was obvious, and what not but he simply over looked into it and got himself confused. First response was "..." then second was me explaining it and to make sure he doesn't over analyze these papers and what not.

Another good example is there was a girl who said that "people can't handle waiting a whole year without their spouse! Why would USCIS do this!?" in which my response was, shoot military people do it all the time. I was a year without my spouse when I was married, my sister was multiple years without her spouse. You gotta do what you gotta do.

But some people just don't grasp that we can all feel differently about a situation we're all placed in. Just because we're in the same boat doesn't mean we have to agree, doesn't mean that we're all wrong either because we can't change each others feelings on the topic because all of us think our response is the most rational. =]

Edited by Ash.1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Timeline

It may be a privilege, but as the US citizen petitioner that pays the same USCIS fees and same taxes... is it fair that I am expected to wait an extra 6 months for approval in Texas compared to California for exactly the same petition??

I don't think there is any thought as to your expectations by USCIS. There certainly isn't anything that resembles fairness to many but I also don't think that is part of the process either.

Many of us waited longer than we thought we would when we began but had to accept that we chose the timing realizing we were in for a difficult time due to lack of info & experience.

Timeline

Thank you, Amhara. You have been one of the sweetest people I've seen of this website, and while I haven't kept up with the general March 2015 filers thread, I truly am glad that you and the others there have been moving along swiftly. I hope that continues with ease and little stress.

I don't intend to simply be another angry voice. Frustration doesn't in general lead to social change, but if we don't step up and speak up, nothing's going to change. I don't think the risk in stirring up awareness and pushing for change is high enough to cause a petition to be denied that would otherwise be approved, so I'm certainly going to do everything I can. It might not be the biggest or most important battle, but all efforts at change must begin somewhere.

Thank you for your words of support. I must admit, I was quite taken aback by the vehement nature of the majority of comments I received, but after thinking about them (and being more critical of myself than necessary), I realized that they're not worth my frustration as much as my pity. Resistance to change is hardwired into our humanity, and any push against the status quo--no matter what that may be--will be met with opposition. Furthermore, trying to speed the process demands a great deal of vulnerability, because I assume most binational couples have become complicit with their distance, and while we all long on a rational level to be with our loved ones at long last, on an unconscious level, finally living permanently with a fiance or spouse is a significant adjustment. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if those most resistant to any sort of activism to make the process more efficient have the most insecurity in their relationships, or else an end to the waiting wouldn't feel as terrifying. Of course, I don't think anyone would openly admit this (it demands much more vulnerability than our US culture condones), but somewhere beneath the surface, I'm sure this uncertainy plagues all of us--I know it's certainly something I've worried about myself. But I love my husband-to-be, and no matter how challenging it might be adjusting to our shared life when it happens, I know we'll make it through stronger than before.

I regret that your experience at this site has been so trying, but I do believe there are many genuinely good people here who sincerely care about supporting each other as we follow this road.

True as that might be, there is another viewpoint. It's a lot easier to pluck a few leaves and rattle a few branches than it is to chop down an entire tree and plant another in its place. Everything must start somewhere, and while USCIS might only be a branch, that doesn't mean it's not accessible as a place to raise awareness. Not all roads in politics end with Congress, especially when we're dealing squarely in the executive branch.

If its simply easier for you then the result will equal the effort I suppose. I just don't remember seeing USCIS directing immigration policy nor are the people there voted into office but there is nothing wrong with you wanting to deal directly with them

Since branches are your quest start directly with USCIS in their own offices by making Info Pass appointment. They have a branch office or it may be known as a leaf office, in your area I hope.

USCIS is a JOKE. We all paid the same fees but due to luck some people get approved in a matter of weeks VS a matter of months. I honestly don't think that they care about us. We are just numbers in the system and the govt employees don't really give a continental. It is what it is - a government deparment. The fact that everything is done in paperwork and not online tells you how flawed the system is. The fact that mail takes months to move from one department to another is another indication of how ridiculous the system is.

I doubt anything will change soon because the people who handle the petitions and paperwork know that they are basically "untouchable" and immigrants are afraid of rocking the boat.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.