Jump to content

Proof of Relationship - how much?

9 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

My wife and I have been married for over 5 years and have been living in Colombia since then (a year before that in Argentina). Plus we have a 2 1/2 year old daughter. We're living in Colombia until I get a job in the US and/or my wife gets the visa. We just got our NVC Welcome letter and...

The NVC asks for:

1. Financial Documents

Affidavit of Support

IRS Tax Transcript

Federal Income Tax Return

Form W2

Evidence of Income

Proof of Relationship

Proof of US Status

SS Earnings Report

Proof of Assets

2. Supporting Documents

Birth certificates

Marriage certificate

Petitioner Documents

Photocopy of valid passport


Police Certificates



How much of this do I actually need to send? First of all, I haven't had any income in the US since I left over six years ago, so I haven't filed taxes, which I assume that one of my parents could be the "Agent". But Proof of Relationship? Should I send a couple of photos? A hundred? A thousand? Exaggerating here... but do I need to be worrying about getting a bunch of docs together? Will they even look at everything?

Thanks for your advice!


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd send all those things, and as mentioned above, you need to file back taxes or provide a letter of why you were legally (according to IRS rules) not required to file taxes during that time. But earning $ abroad doesn't mean you don't have to file, and you'll need tax transcripts during this process.

As for pictures, they're supporting evidence. It sounds like you have tons of other proof together, so I'd send just a handful of photos from across the time you've been together (make sure some are recent).

And be sure to read the forms closely and send originals only if specifically asked to do so...otherwise you may never get them back, and then it's a hassle to replace them.

K1 Visa Process AOS Process

Mar 18 2013: I-129F mailed to CSC Nov 15 2013: I-485 with EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox

Sept 19 2013: Interview - Approved!! Jan 25 2014: EAD/AP Card Received

Oct 6 2013: POE - Chicago O'Hare June 2 2014: Permanent Resident Card Received!

Oct 27 2013: Wedding!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You will most likely need a joint sponsor. The choice of agent is referring to who you will like for the Nvc to contact regarding the petition. So yes if you want the parents to be. However it is probably best if you being the petitioner choose yourself as the agent and when you call ( you will need to call) NVcC to get your case and invoice number you can give them both yours and your spouse e-mail

As some one mention proof of relations is if you use a joint sponsor and they have others in the household and the house hold member is filing out the I-864a.They would need to prove their relationship to the joint sponsor.

As far as your relationship it seems like you and your spouse have been together for quite a while so you should have no trouble proving that when it is time for your interview

For the NVC just send in the require civil documents needed from your spouse

Service Center : Nebraska Service Center
Consulate : Manila, Philippines
Marriage (if applicable): 2014-05-20
I-130 Sent : 2014-10-06
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-10-09
I-130 RFE for NSO copy of marriage certificate: 2014-11-03
I-130 RFE Sent : 2014-11-18
I-130 Approved : 2014-12-07
NVC Received : 2014-12-23
NVC case number: 2015-02-04
Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2015-02-04
Pay AOS Bill : 2015-02-05
Submit DS-261 : 2015-02-05
Sent AOS Package : 2015-02-09
Sent IV Package : 2015-02-09
Scan date : 2015-02-10
Receive IV Bill : 2015-03-03
Pay IV Bill : 2015-03-06
Submit DS-260: 2015-3-12
Case Completed at NVC : 2015-03-20
Receive Instruction and Interview appointment letter: 2015-3-27
Medical complete: 2015-04-08
Interview Date : 2015-05-08
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2015-05-13

Date of US Entry : 2015-06-09

Date of Social Security card receive : 06-2015

Date of Green Card received 07-2015

Date of ROC FILE 05-19-2017

 I-751 NOA Date 05-26-2017



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, I'm returning to this post now with new, more specific questions.

I'm finally at the point of filing back taxes for the last 5 years that I've been away from the US. But my tax attorney said that it'll take between 4-6 months to receive a response (maybe even up to a year). If I wait for this, then my wife can't get her VISA for another year!

I did find this other post that talks about providing some sort of written document that says I didn't need to pay taxes during those years because I didn't make any money (all income in Colombia was made under my wife's name, so I didn't -legally- make anything).


My question is... how can I move on with this process? My wife and I are ready to move to the US, but this is our only hold up. Ideas? What do I submit for financial history with my I-864? And likewise, for my father/mother as a join sponsor?

Thank you for your help!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I did some research on VisaJourney and on the Internet and found other people who have had relatively similar issues. This person had the same issue in 2011:


And after discovering this page by TurboTax, I found that if we jointly make under US$20,300 a year or as single individual, $10,150, we don't legally have to file taxes. This is good news!


In the end I will prepare the letter from the VJ post above and submit my i-864 immediately.

Any other thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you made no income you weren't required to file taxes.

There is an earning threshold to filing taxes and if you make under it you're not required to file. You simply write a letter and copy the relevant info from the IRS website. So you're correct that you do't need to file taxes.

Do you have a joint sponsor however?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.