vavaBB

Family support proof - Sam-sex K1 - India

9 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

At the risk of facing homophobia on a seemingly friendly forum, I would appreciate if you guys could help with the following concern.

I'm from India where homosexuality is frowned upon and criminalized. Our i129 petition is already approved and at the Mumbai consulate. I am planning to schedule the K1 interview for someday next month. I have read on some forums that K1s could get rejected due to cultural differences/ familial disagreement to the wedding etc. How true is this?

My family loves my fiance, and they're excited for me- despite societal backwardness in India. Should I be taking a letter from my mom/ sister/ brother in law stating that they have met my fiance and that they're happy with my decision? Should this be notarized?

I have photos to prove he has met my sister and brother in law; but nothing with my mom - except a few cards that he has sent to my mom. She, being Indian, hasn't even reciprocated with a courteous thank you card. LOL. Guilty.

What else can I carry with me to prove that my family is happy with our decision and is supportive?

:energy:

July 2012 - met through a dating app

Jan 2013 - Officially started dating. Moved in together

Oct 2013 - Because of VISA issues, I move back to India

Jan 2015 - John visits me in India. Engaged!

K1 timeline

I-129 Petition filed : March 5th 2015

I-129 NOA1 : March 12th 2015 (File sent to CSC )

I-129 NOA2 : April 6th 2015

NVC Recieved : April 23rd 2015 (got case number by calling NVC)

NVC Left : April 24th 2015 (according to CEAC status tracker - https://ceac.state.gov/ceacstattracker/status.aspx)

Consulate Recd : May 4th 2015

Biometrics Appointment (Mumbai VAC) : May 21st 2015

Interview Date (Mumbai CAC) : May 22nd 2015

VISA approval date: May 22nd 2015

Travel Date : 13th June 2015

POE Date: 14th June 2015 (Abu Dhabi)

AOS

I-485, I-765, I-131 Sent : July 1st 2015

USCIS NOA1 : July 6th 2015

Job Offer: Aug 12th 2015

USCIS Expedite Request for EAD : Aug 17th 2015

Submitted Proof for Expedite : Aug 19th 2015

Called Senator for Expedite help: Aug 20th 2014

I-765 Approved: Aug 24th 2015

I-765 Mailed: Aug 27th 2015

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Having not been in this situation myself, I will give you my what I would do answer. I would bring an affidavit or two from sisters/brothers/parents stating they met your fiance under such and such circumstances, and their evaluation of your relationship (ie you seem very happy together). I would also bring whatever pictures you have of the two of you together with family. I do not think there is anything else you can provide to really demonstrate your family approves; however, if the embassy has any questions or wants further proof they will specify what they need.

best of luck to you

Spoiler

Married December 19, 2014

I-130 Petition sent January 14, 2015
NOA1 date January 20, 2015 (NSC)

NOA2 date May 28, 2015 :dance::dance::dance:

Mailed to NVC June 4, 2015

NVC Received June 10, 2015

NVC Case Number Assigned June 23, 2015

NVC AoS Invoice via Mail June 24, 2015

NVC Selected Agent Over Phone June 30, 2015 (Unable to logon to CEAC)

NVC IV Invoice via email received July 1, 2015

NVC AoS/IV Package Mailed July 2, 2015

NVC AoS & IV Fee Paid Online (CEAC is working) July 6. 2015

NVC Document Scan Date July 6, 2015

NCV AoS & IV Fee marked as paid in CEAC July, 7 2015

NVC DS 260 Completed July 8, 2015

NVC CC July 30, 2015 (24 days after scan date, about 2 months post NOA2)

Interview Scheduled on August 26, 2015

Interview P4 Email Received August 27, 2015

Medical in Islamabad September 2, 2015

Interview Date September 22, 2015 CANCELLED (Embassy is Over scheduled) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Interview Scheduled on September 10, 2015

Interview Date October 14, 2015 APPROVED

Visa Issued October 16, 2015, 9 months start to finish

POE JFK October 26, 2015

GC in Hand Jan 8, 2016

RoC I-751 NOA1 August 31, 2017 (Vermont Service Center)

Biometrics October 2, 2017

I551 Stamp in Passport August 2, 2018

18 Month Extension Letter August 3, 2018

Applied for Naturalization N-400 Online July 30, 2018

Biometrics August 23, 2018

10 year GC is in production September 17, 2018

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Culturally "not the norm" relationships can be considered a red flag, but having family support definitely helps. While time spent together for the two of you is the most important, I think having letters and photos from family will help. Also, make sure you have talked about the potential issues you face as a same sex and inter-cultural couple, because the CO may ask about that.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I have read on some forums that K1s could get rejected due to cultural differences/ familial disagreement to the wedding etc. How true is this?

You'll be interviewing at the US Embassy, which follows US laws and "customs". Same sex marriages are allowed in the US>

My family loves my fiance, and they're excited for me- despite societal backwardness in India. Should I be taking a letter from my mom/ sister/ brother in law stating that they have met my fiance and that they're happy with my decision? Should this be notarized?

Won't help.

I have photos to prove he has met my sister and brother in law; but nothing with my mom - except a few cards that he has sent to my mom. She, being Indian, hasn't even reciprocated with a courteous thank you card.

Meeting Mom is not a requirement.

What else can I carry with me to prove that my family is happy with our decision and is supportive?

Your family's viewpoint is not a consideration, so any evidence of such will not affect the decision.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Remember that interviewers are going to know that a same sex relationship is going to be a cause of family strife in many cases. Address any questions confidently and calmly, do not over explain.

Met in 2010 on a forum for a mutual interest. Became friends.
2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

June-September, 2013: Discussion about being together begins.

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

May 9, 2014: Petition mailed to USCIS

May 12, 2014: NOA1.
October 27, 2014: NOA2. (5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day after NOA1)
October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

November 18, 2014: NVC receives our case (22 days after NOA2)

December 17, 2014: NVC generates case number (50 days after NOA2)

December 19, 2014: Receive AOS bill, DS-261. Submit DS-261 (52 days after NOA2)

December 20, 2014: Pay AOS Fee

January 7, 2015: Receive, pay IV Fee

January 10, 2015: Complete DS-260

January 11, 2015: Send AOS package and Civil Documents
March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

May 6, 2015: Interview at Montréal APPROVED!

May 11, 2015: Visa in hand! One year less one day from NOA1.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

From what I've read on this forum about India and Pakistan is the CO does care about that stuff. Beneficiaries are often questioned about family matters and religious concerns to try to weed out fraudulent cases. While I would agree with your advice if the OP were from a low-risk country or even a high-risk one where homosexuality is more accepted, the OP is not from either one.

OP- I think all your ideas are good, but I don't think you need to get anything notorized.

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

My husband and I faced a similar situation as he is from Indonesia...a primarily Muslim country where homosexuals can be dragged from their homes and stoned to death in rural communities.

The big difference for us is that he had no siblings and both his parents were deceased. We met on Facebook almost a year before I requested the K-1. He tried to come to the USA to meet me, but without strong family or financial ties to Indonesia he was denied a Visa, so I flew to Indonesia a month or two later and stayed for one week. I started filling out the paperwork for the K-1 after I returned in December. Then, I went back to Indonesia for his K-1 interview in the following May, staying another week.

What we submitted for "evidence" of the relationship...which is really all the visa application requires...was copies of my plane tickets there the first time, numerous photos of us together, and a letter from each of us indicating our intent to marry. I think I had added him to my credit card - mostly because he didn't have one and I knew he'd need it to book travel back to the US - so I included a copy of the credit card statement with both our names.

The only awkward issue was the front security guard who was leery about letting me accompany him. My husband is quite a bit younger than me and she seemed confused by what I was doing there. She asked how old he was - I said 25. Then, she asked why I was accompanying him. Implying that since I wasn't a parent, I had no business there. I explained that I was the citizen who petitioned for his visa. She let me in.

The K-1 was really quite easy to get. The interviewer, a man, was very kind and smiling throughout the interview process. My husband was super-nervous because his previous attempts to get a tourist visa to visit me in the US had been denied, so he had bad feelings with the embassy overall. I remained silent as this was not for me...and, in fact, asked if I could be in the room during the interview as I didn't want to appear to be coaching. We were holding hands, smiling at each other, and behaving like a typical couple in love. The questions were basics like what he might do for work and where he would live. My husband also didn't have great English skills, so the interviewer asked him a number of questions in Bahasa Indonesian.The interviewer congratulated us and gave us the good news that the visa would be approved, but took three days to process, so we'd have to come back the following week for it (this was on a Thursday or Friday). My husband was so happy and excited, he invited the guy to the wedding...which I thought was hysterical.

Anyway, it all turned out fine and we didn't need a lot more than photos and our own testimony to support our story. I'm sure you'll be fine. The interviewer is an American citizen working for the Department of State and they have strict non-discrimination policies about these things. I would be shocked if you were required to supply additional supporting materials just because you're marrying someone of the same-sex.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Oi! As expected, great answers; but conflicting and confusing. :girlwerewolf2xn:

I guess I'll take letters from my mom, sister and brother in law... just to be safe.. I'll obviously also take photos that I have showing family support.

I'll also make sure to not over-explain and make it seem like there's more to the story..

Thank you all.

:energy:

July 2012 - met through a dating app

Jan 2013 - Officially started dating. Moved in together

Oct 2013 - Because of VISA issues, I move back to India

Jan 2015 - John visits me in India. Engaged!

K1 timeline

I-129 Petition filed : March 5th 2015

I-129 NOA1 : March 12th 2015 (File sent to CSC )

I-129 NOA2 : April 6th 2015

NVC Recieved : April 23rd 2015 (got case number by calling NVC)

NVC Left : April 24th 2015 (according to CEAC status tracker - https://ceac.state.gov/ceacstattracker/status.aspx)

Consulate Recd : May 4th 2015

Biometrics Appointment (Mumbai VAC) : May 21st 2015

Interview Date (Mumbai CAC) : May 22nd 2015

VISA approval date: May 22nd 2015

Travel Date : 13th June 2015

POE Date: 14th June 2015 (Abu Dhabi)

AOS

I-485, I-765, I-131 Sent : July 1st 2015

USCIS NOA1 : July 6th 2015

Job Offer: Aug 12th 2015

USCIS Expedite Request for EAD : Aug 17th 2015

Submitted Proof for Expedite : Aug 19th 2015

Called Senator for Expedite help: Aug 20th 2014

I-765 Approved: Aug 24th 2015

I-765 Mailed: Aug 27th 2015

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Since you have approval from your family and pics. I think you will not have a problem. when we first tried k1 visa, my husband ( at the time fiance) was denied his visa. the most cause of it.....his dad disapproved of the relationship even thou his mom, 1 brother and his sister approved and we had letters, but I never went and met my family in law because his dad flat out does not want to meet me. I wish you luck on your journey and I would not fret over it to much. I think you will be fine.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.