Dakine10

Texas veterinarian fired after allegedly killing cat with arrow and bragging about it on Facebook

74 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

####### is wrong with people? How does this person become a vet.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/texas-vet-fired-allegedly-killing-cat-arrow-article-1.2189471

'My first bow kill': Texas veterinarian fired after allegedly killing cat with arrow and bragging about it on Facebook (VIDEO)
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Published: Friday, April 17, 2015, 5:57 PM
Updated: Friday, April 17, 2015, 11:12 PM
cat-lady.jpgFACEBOOK Dr. Kristen Lindsey, a Texas veterinarian, was fired after she posed holding a dead cat by an arrow through its head. It has sparked a police investigation into possible charges.

A gruesome Facebook photo showing a Texas veterinarian posing with a cat killed by an arrow through its furry skull touched off a furious backlash that got the woman canned and opened a police investigation.

The image of Dr. Kristen Lindsey holding the dead orange and white cat is just “disgusting,” Austin County Sheriff Jack Brandes told the Daily News.

“My first bow kill,” is how Lindsey captioned her photo, complete with cat emojis, from an account that has since been deleted.

“The only good feral tomcat is one with an arrow through it’s (sic) head! Vet of the year award... gladly accepted.”

Upon seeing the inhumane social media post Friday morning, Brandes sent two deputies to Lindsey’s home to investigate whether such an act of animal cruelty really happened. Intentionally killing a cat, even a stray as Lindsay suggested, is against the law nationwide.

“This is not acceptable in our society. I don’t like it and I hope we don’t have to deal with this again,” Brandes added.

The Washington Animal Clinic in Brenham, Texas fired Lindsey within hours of the photo surfacing on social media and identified her on their Facebook page. The clinic used duct tape to delete her name from its streetfront sign.

“We are absolutely appalled, shocked, upset, and disgusted by the conduct,” a spokesperson for the clinic wrote in a statement. “We condemn it in the strongest possible manner.”

The clinic received more than 500 angry calls by noon, KBTX reported.

Their concern was mirrored by the Texas Veterinary Medical Association, which condemned the kill. The association noted that the veterinarian in question is not affiliated with them, and would have violated their oath to protect an animal’s health and welfare.

Lindsey obtained a license from the Texas State Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners in 2012, and has no history of disciplinary action, state records show.

article-vet-0417.jpgWASHINGTON-ANIMAL-CLINIC.COM The Washington Animal Clinic of Brenham, Texas, condemned Dr. Kristen Lindsey actions on their website.

The public’s outcry against the photo sparked vigilante Facebook pages calling for prosecution. The page "Justice For Tiger" already had 12,000 followers by Friday night.

"Tiger" is a missing orange Tabby, but it's unclear whether the pet was the dead cat. "Tiger" went missing Wednesday, according to the Facebook page.

Alley Cat Allies offered a $7,500 reward for evidence leading to the arrest and conviction of the cat killer.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

There is no nationwide law against killing feral cats. My personal rule is I don't shoot them if there is a house within 1/2 mile. I haven't shot one is quite a few years. They don't stick around after they see you.

Whats funny is these humane shelters kill millions of cats. Whats the big deal…..an arrow through the head or a shot of poison?

Plus that chick is hot (L)

Timeline

There is no nationwide law against killing feral cats. My personal rule is I don't shoot them if there is a house within 1/2 mile. I haven't shot one is quite a few years. They don't stick around after they see you.

Whats funny is these humane shelters kill millions of cats. Whats the big deal…..an arrow through the head or a shot of poison?

Plus that chick is hot (L)

Be careful with that kind of advice. It's been a criminal offense in all 50 states since 2008. Even though you don't know that, veterinarians should have that knowledge. Yeah people do it but they don't usually post pictures on the internet saying how awesome it makes them. The only reason she hasn't been charged is they are making sure the picture wasn't a hoax. She will be questioned and charged if/when they establish the crime actually occurred.

Either way, it appears to be this cat was not feral. She killed someones pet. And the fact that she go close enough to the cat to shoot an arrow should have alerted her to the fact that it probably was domestic.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Timeline

They should pull her license too. It's hard to believe someone could be that stupid to do it and post a picture. On second thought, it's not hard to believe. Read about the Aaron Hernandez murder case.

When you live in a shoot first, ask questions later culture - stupid is never far away.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Be careful with that kind of advice. It's been a criminal offense in all 50 states since 2008. Even though you don't know that, veterinarians should have that knowledge. Yeah people do it but they don't usually post pictures on the internet saying how awesome it makes them. The only reason she hasn't been charged is they are making sure the picture wasn't a hoax. She will be questioned and charged if/when they establish the crime actually occurred.

Either way, it appears to be this cat was not feral. She killed someones pet. And the fact that she go close enough to the cat to shoot an arrow should have alerted her to the fact that it probably was domestic.

You can shoot and kill feral cats or dogs in Texas, Especially if they endanger your wildlife

Timeline

It doesn't matter what the law is. She's a vet. Killing an animal in a cruel and inhumane way is a conflict of interest. She's screwed her career out of her own stupidity.

Arrow to the head is not cruel or inhumane. It is probably one of the most humane way to eliminate a animal

Edited by VOL

Timeline

You can shoot and kill feral cats or dogs in Texas, Especially if they endanger your wildlife

Exceptions to prosecution in Texas are if you have a reasonable fear of injury to a person or livestock. There is no specific differentiation to whether the animal is feral or not.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Timeline

Exceptions to prosecution in Texas are if you have a reasonable fear of injury to a person or livestock. There is no specific differentiation to whether the animal is feral or not.

Negative

Once they enter your property they can be shot

Timeline

Negative

Once they enter your property they can be shot

Not legally, unless the exception I mentioned applies. It's section 42.09 of the Texas penal code. Might want to take a look.

Maybe you used to get away with it. There's a difference between doing something and something being legal. She's not the first person who posted something stupid on the internet who's going to find that out.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Timeline

Not legally, unless the exception I mentioned applies. It's section 42.09 of the Texas penal code. Might want to take a look.

Maybe you used to get away with it. There's a difference between doing something and something being legal. She's not the first person who posted something stupid on the internet who's going to find that out.

Here is how the rules work in Texas. I live in the suburbs and have a house in a HOA area, I also have 40 acres in Aubrey Texas that is hunting land for ducks and some pigs and deer and coons.

If I have a animal enter my 40 acres I can shoot him at my discretion - Pig, coyote, dog, cat, praire dog, skunk . If they are a animal like deer or duck/goose where we have hunting season we can only kill outside of season if they are being a nuisance and eating crops. If I had farm animals then I of course you can shoot anything that can cause or is trying to injury to them.

My house is in a different city limits and if I have to shot a dog or cat to protect myself or animal then I will have to say I was protecting myself/property and not allowed to shoot a discharge a firearms within city limit. In my city if you have a more than 5 acres then you can hunt or shoot inside city limit.

Me I don't shoot strays or coyotes, etc. I do enjoy some duck hunting and dove hunting, I rather feed a deer than eat a deer. Now of days I am more into Bass Fishing..