10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline

Okay so before reading forward I do not want any judgement or trolls! Thank you! :thumbs:

So my husband and I have been waiting since 2013 to get an appointment for him with the consulate and we have had several delays. We finally got our case closed in March right around the same time he decided to try weed _-_ either way I read that being around the second hand smoke of it too much will cause it to show up (would've also been nice so he wouldn't have lived with his brother who always did it). Whatever not the point. He didn't admit to using it until we went to the medical exam and by then it was too late to do anything. He was found ineligible and told to return in exactly 1 year for a new medical so April 7 2016. He was also recommended by the medical place to find an anti program that could test him randomly 3-6 times for 1 year and e mail the results to them. Okay now what exactly do we do besides this? I've heard that 6-8 weeks before the date for the exam that I should try and schedule a consulate interview. I know I will have to take updates AOS forms and taxes as well as my civil documents (they gave my my Marriage Certificate but kept the Birth Certificate, not sure why). Anyone have this happen to them? I feel so lost and not sure what to do. I also don't want to lose my case and have to start over because of the 1 year period.

Also no links to other stories. The reason I posted is because many other cases are outdated because the ban is no longer 3 years but 1. The cases I read were all mostly more than 5 years ago. I want to know if the process has changed or what people have learned during their similar experience that was recent.

Edited by VallieRhi

It's exactly as you've been told, he is ineligible to receive a visa at this time. There is no way around it.

Clean drug tests for a year and then a clean medical (at which they may well test him again given the prior admission) is the only thing you can do.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Timeline

It's exactly as you've been told, he is ineligible to receive a visa at this time. There is no way around it.

Clean drug tests for a year and then a clean medical (at which they may well test him again given the prior admission) is the only thing you can do.

I'm not looking for a way around it. I just want to know what happens when he goes back to take the medical and it shows up negative this time (it better if he's not dumb). I've heard of others who don't receive any notice notice for a while. I just want to know if the consulate will schedule an appointment for me or if I have to call and do it I'm lost on the process since I don't know many who have done this part. Or do I make the appointment with the consulate before hand and go to the medical exam and then to the appointment or what are the steps more or less.

I clearly know he is ineligible for a year I did not need that to be clarified as I wrote it out. What I want clarified is do I have to keep in contact with NVC so I don't lose my case (since I know if you don't for a year you have to start over) or does it remain okay or what. I'm truly lost and confused and rather be safe than sorry and get information now than later when the year is almost over.

Thank you!

Timeline

Also I want others in my situation or that will (hopefully not) be in my situation to know what to do because I know how worrisome it can be not to know exactly what steps to take. Okay 1st steps find a program and explain situation and have them note when person started and that when random drug test occur they were random not planned and in our case e mail them to the medical place. Okay got those parts clear BUT before the year is reached what do we do. I've heard 6-8 weeks call consulate to make appointment for interview and before going to interview go to redo medical exam and then attend interview but is that correct?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The only thing that has changed is that it is one year and not three.

I have seen a number of threads about this, so they are out there. Jamaica for some reason generates quite a few.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

The only thing that has changed is that it is one year and not three.

I have seen a number of threads about this, so they are out there. Jamaica for some reason generates quite a few.

Thank you! Hopefully checking out those will help me

• 4 months later...
Filed: Other Country: Mexico
Timeline

hi mi husband is in the same situation but he went for his interview on dec 2014 and the blue paper that the officer gave him said that he needs to come back on nov 2015 for a new medical exam it does not say anything about interview so I called the consulado but the first time they said that we needs to do the medical then one the consulado recives it then we can schedule an appointment but I called last week and they told me that we need to wait until nov to see if they have approval to reschedule an app so I don't know if he has to go first to the medical or wait for app so I called the clinic and they said that he needs to go and do the medical then they will give us the steps so we decided to go 2 of nov to do the medical to see what they say so we might have to schedule an app. after the medical but I also red that if it was a year ago ur first app yo have to do another one . so we are waiting to see what happens

hope this helps u I know its very frustraiting to have to look for similar cases in always looking on internet but i haven't found nothing new

• 4 months later...
Timeline

hi mi husband is in the same situation but he went for his interview on dec 2014 and the blue paper that the officer gave him said that he needs to come back on nov 2015 for a new medical exam it does not say anything about interview so I called the consulado but the first time they said that we needs to do the medical then one the consulado recives it then we can schedule an appointment but I called last week and they told me that we need to wait until nov to see if they have approval to reschedule an app so I don't know if he has to go first to the medical or wait for app so I called the clinic and they said that he needs to go and do the medical then they will give us the steps so we decided to go 2 of nov to do the medical to see what they say so we might have to schedule an app. after the medical but I also red that if it was a year ago ur first app yo have to do another one . so we are waiting to see what happens

hope this helps u I know its very frustraiting to have to look for similar cases in always looking on internet but i haven't found nothing new

Hi can I know what happened with your situation?

Hi can I know what happened with your situation?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

My fiancé was given a one year ban for admitting to past marijuana use. You can email the embassy and ask for the eligibility date. That is the date he will be able to start over again .... new medical.

I'm not sure if you repeat the steps of paying the visa fee again, scheduling another interview, and then scheduling another medical exam.

We will hopefully be at that point very soon and I can let you know how it works. I have a feeling every embassy is a little bit different.

Good Luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.