charmed2006

Am I pushing this too early?

61 posts in this topic

I though this thread was going to be about being in labor.

???

My Name is Daisy, I am British, I say things bluntly and to the point.
London K1, A complete guide -- >http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/474161-london-k1-a-complete-guide/
I am Daisy the Beneficiary, These are my views!
U.K. k1 visa, approved 2014.

NOA1: 20/03/2014

NOA2: 11/04/2014 (22 days)

Interview: 09/07/2014 (111 days)

D.O.E 29/07/2014

Married 29/08/2014

AOS from K1/K3 Guide -->http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

AOS/EAD/AP Sent: 12/11/2014

Delivered at Chicago LB:15/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3): 17/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3) hardcopy: 24/11/2014(Notice date 20th)

Bio-metrics App letter: 28/11/2014(Notice date 21st)

Bio-metrics App Cleveland Ohio: 10/12/2014

EAD/AP:Approved/production 31/01/2015(update 2/2/1015) (80 days)

Combo Card: Mailed 5/2/2015

Combo Card: Delivered 6/2/2015AP

NOA: Approval Notice received 7/2/2015

Interview waiver letter: received 23/2/15 dated: 18/2/2015

Green Card: APPROVED 31/07/2015

(Remember, all my dates are British layout.. the proper layout!)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

As others said, there is no point to attend interviews now. It's waste of time for the interviewer. Let other people have those jobs, your time will come too.

You said you will get married on March 28th. The EAD takes 60-90 days to be processed from the day you file for AOS. Even if you file right after your marriage, it will be the end of May or June by the time you get your EAD (Employment Authorization Document).

I haven't heard from you in awhile. I wonder if you felt the wrath of the mods. :rofl:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Although you can't work its great you are getting your resume out there and getting practice at applying for jobs, fingers crossed for you that they will have something for you when you are able to work, if not I'm sure someone else will, you seem to have a good attitude :)

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Its not a bad idea to look at how things work, here in the USA.,.,.,.,.especially the interview part.

The more you get out and explore the USA, the more informed you will be.

I think it is a good idea.

I interviewed for a job in mid-december, told them that I wouldn't have a work permit till around March. They are understanding and are keeping the job for me. If you're a worthwhile candidate for what you're doing, some employers will give you the time. What do you have to lose?

Timeline

I interviewed for a job in mid-december, told them that I wouldn't have a work permit till around March. They are understanding and are keeping the job for me. If you're a worthwhile candidate for what you're doing, some employers will give you the time. What do you have to lose?

This is all the advice someone needs.

Timeline

Actually it isn't.

Then what else? Be constructive and explain. Seems pretty simple. Interview if you want, let them know you are awaiting and still must apply for your work permit....if you're marketable and worht waiting for they will wait. What more is there than that? Really?

Edited by Shauneg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Then what else? Be constructive and explain. Seems pretty simple. Interview if you want, let them know you are awaiting and still must apply for your work permit....if you're marketable and worht waiting for they will wait. What more is there than that? Really?

I think the person you are questioning is just grumpy for whatever reason. The application form for most jobs will ask if you are authorized to work in the US anyway so they can decide to interview you or not. Or you can just be upfront about it. Personally, I don't think it is a waste of time to start the ball rolling before work authorization for many reasons I have already stated.

If some people feel upset that OP wants to interview early (which she is legally allowed to do), then so be it. That seems a bit petty to me, but each to their own.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thank you :) yes, I will be honest as not to waste the company's time :) And will still continue submitting applications :) Who knows, the next one would be my luck :)

A lot of people are stating you should not be interviewing yet. However, you certainly can, and you can also request an expedite of your EAD based on having a job offer, if you get one.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/453753-how-to-request-to-expedite-your-ead-based-on-a-job-offer/

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/495278-i-765-ead-expedite-successful-experience-with-job-offer/

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/517032-sharing-on-how-to-expedite-ead-based-on-job-offer/

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Great

I am now going to make a job offer to my wife and get my congressman involved

Thanks for the update...

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

Why? He can interview but not work. Nothing wrong if they are prepared to wait for his approval.

Do you think employers are in the habit of interviewing people who then say they cannot even work?

It is a waste of everyone's time unless work authorization is forthcoming inside of two weeks.

I actually can't believe people here think it's okay to show up for a job you cannot even take. If you first tell the employer that you are not yet authorized to work absolutely it's fine to then have an interview, but the obvious assumption by any employer interviewing somebody is that they are able to work, so you need to disclose first. Disclosing after is a huge potential waste of time. It could annoy them the same way I went through 2 rounds of interviews for a job once--I felt very good about it--and it turns out they never had the position anyway; they never got the contract and HR was just basically wasting time. Pissed me off hugely.

Thank you all for you inputs. Is TN visa even an option?

I do not have SSN yet. I am in the impression that I should apply after the wedding. Is that right?

SSN alone will not allow me to work. I need EAD. Right?

I am wondering if TN visa is an option, as I am a Canadian Citizen.

I had a TN visa, but it requires that you:

1) Work in a job specifically recognized in the TN category

2) Go back to the border and then apply for the TN in person on your way back in

I would find it highly suspect to see a person apply for that after already marrying and presumably looking to be permanent in the US.

As mentioned, a social security card is not equivalent to work authorization. Whoever said that was flatly, expressly, unequivocally wrong. My SSN even says on it "INS work authorization required". INS being the precursor to USCIS (I got it years back).

Edited by ExPatty

Good luck!

Timeline

This is all the OP ever asked and inquired upon....

"Is it illegal to attend this interview? I am going to tell them my visa status here on Monday. But just want to make sure I am not committing anything wrong here."

No it isn't illegal or wrong, but tell them upfront you don't have authorization yet. Everyone's else's advice on job fairs, waiting, and whatever else is nice, but it wasn't her question.

This discussion should be closed. The OP has their answers and everything else is bickering.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.