Trymester3

Should I buy my wife's plane ticket under married name or maiden name?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how to fly my wife back to the USA. She traveled to Japan under her maiden name, because that is the name that is in her passport. She left on November 9, 2014 and will probably be returning in late-March 2015. She was able to be gone for so long, because she has one of those work/travel cards that doesn't expire until September 2015. Since she has been gone, she received an approved I-485 saying that she has been granted permanent residence for a 2-year time period. The card will be arriving in 3 weeks. She didn't have to go through an interview.

My only concern is that when she returns to the USA, I don't want her to have any trouble getting into the country.

Should she return under her maiden name since that's what her passport says, or should she return under her married name, so that she doesn't get into any potential trouble with the custom agents? How should she go about coming back in?

Btw, she was gone for so long because one of her grandmothers passed away and then the other grandmother passed away.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how to fly my wife back to the USA. She traveled to Japan under her maiden name, because that is the name that is in her passport. She left on November 9, 2014 and will probably be returning in late-March 2015. She was able to be gone for so long, because she has one of those work/travel cards that doesn't expire until September 2015. Since she has been gone, she received an approved I-485 saying that she has been granted permanent residence for a 2-year time period. The card will be arriving in 3 weeks. She didn't have to go through an interview.

My only concern is that when she returns to the USA, I don't want her to have any trouble getting into the country.

Should she return under her maiden name since that's what her passport says, or should she return under her married name, so that she doesn't get into any potential trouble with the custom agents? How should she go about coming back in?

Btw, she was gone for so long because one of her grandmothers passed away and then the other grandmother passed away.

You can buy under either name. I did it for my wife and we never had any issues.

event.png

event.png

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths." (Proverbs 3, 5-6)

Best to buy it under her Passport name.

21 Aug 2013: I-129F Sent

11 Feb 2014: Visa APPROVED!

20 May 2014: Wedding!

--

31 Jul 2014: Mailed AOS Packet

12 Feb 2015: AOS Interview - Approved

--

22 Feb 2017: Mailed ROC Packet

08 Aug 2018: ROC Approved

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Totally agreed! She might not be able to board the plane, because airlines usually validate the boarding passes with the travel document (in this case passport).

Totally agreed! She might not be able to board the plane, because airlines usually validate the boarding passes with the travel document (in this case passport).

You can buy in either name. As any airline will check the passport as well as the document she will use to enter US. And this document would be in married name.

As I said we are travelling at least twice a year, and never had any problems to buy tickets on either of the names. Just have the Marriage Certificate with you and everything will be fine.

event.png

event.png

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths." (Proverbs 3, 5-6)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

You can buy in either name. As any airline will check the passport as well as the document she will use to enter US. And this document would be in married name.

As I said we are travelling at least twice a year, and never had any problems to buy tickets on either of the names. Just have the Marriage Certificate with you and everything will be fine.

That's good for you.

But why would someone risk their travel plans?

It is still up to the airline to decide if you are allowed to board or not. Chances are higher that you get to fly when your travel documents match your boarding pass.

I agree with other replies. You should buy it in the name that is on the passport

ROC
Service Center : Nebraska Service Center
Consulate : Manila, Philippines
Marriage (if applicable): 2014-05-20
I-130 Sent : 2014-10-06
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-10-09
I-130 RFE for NSO copy of marriage certificate: 2014-11-03
I-130 RFE Sent : 2014-11-18
I-130 Approved : 2014-12-07
NVC Received : 2014-12-23
NVC case number: 2015-02-04
Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2015-02-04
Pay AOS Bill : 2015-02-05
Submit DS-261 : 2015-02-05
Sent AOS Package : 2015-02-09
Sent IV Package : 2015-02-09
Scan date : 2015-02-10
Receive IV Bill : 2015-03-03
Pay IV Bill : 2015-03-06
Submit DS-260: 2015-3-12
Case Completed at NVC : 2015-03-20
Receive Instruction and Interview appointment letter: 2015-3-27
Medical complete: 2015-04-08
Interview Date : 2015-05-08
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2015-05-13

Date of US Entry : 2015-06-09

Date of Social Security card receive : 06-2015

Date of Green Card received 07-2015

Date of ROC FILE 05-19-2017

I-751 NOA Date 05-26-2017

http://jerryjja.wix.com/filipinasaswa?_ga=1.194674661.91538870.1441656248

Filed: Timeline

That's good for you.

But why would someone risk their travel plans?

It is still up to the airline to decide if you are allowed to board or not. Chances are higher that you get to fly when your travel documents match your boarding pass.

That's the point he was making ... passport has the maiden name and the visa for entry has the married name. So regardless of which name is on the boarding pass, only one of the two required travel documents will match. Bringing your marriage certificate will tie the two names together - it's not a novelty for the airlines to deal with. Purchasing the ticket with either the married name or the maiden name will work without any difficulty at all as long as the marriage certificate is available and the other travel documents are in order.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hello,

get ticket in passport name.

show EAD/AP combo card at a poe, along with a marriage certificate showing the 'married' name.

might need to show all at Narita immigration control point, and ask for supervisor if staff are dumbfounded.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

• 4 weeks later...

That's the point he was making ... passport has the maiden name and the visa for entry has the married name. So regardless of which name is on the boarding pass, only one of the two required travel documents will match. Bringing your marriage certificate will tie the two names together - it's not a novelty for the airlines to deal with. Purchasing the ticket with either the married name or the maiden name will work without any difficulty at all as long as the marriage certificate is available and the other travel documents are in order.

ALWAYS book with the last name on a passport! Period. We learned this the hard way: My wife was refused a boarding pass by US Airways. We had to rebook our Cancun trip and thus, the trip cost was doubled. When it comes to boarding a plane, it's up to the airlines to set out the rules. Marriage certificate might help a BCP officer to map a name change. We had all necessary documents with us and yet went through an awful experience of being turned away at the airport.

Edited by dalatian

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.