TBoneTX

Gone with the Rant

3,020 posts in this topic

My husband was trying to figure out what he would have done differently in life if he'd grown up with money. He figures he still would have been military, so I suggested he would have been an officer instead, he agreed he likely would have since getting a degree wouldn't have seemed like such an insurmountable proposition.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

ya, my mother's family had money, but my mother went through it before i got outta high school. My father and step-mother not have money either, but hey.. Even I thought to work my way through college, I didn't want to do it.

seeing 'that' pattern from my Mom, I knew I'd never be able to get to college, unless I chased after a service academy. It was that weird, but I was happy to get out of that county. Mostly, I don't get back there, except to visit with Dad and hang out at my farm (which I lease out to others, anyway).

I had a glimpse of money as a child, divorce changed all that. Gutter? I dunno, mostly I lived a sheltered life until after my first divorce. A hard climb up - but it's a good proof that anyone can be upwardly mobile. Double for Steve-O ! Look at him now !!!

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Thanks but...

Yeah look at me now.....

If I started a family earlier, I can retire now and rest. The only reason I still work is for the wife and kids.

I never knew what it was like to have a mom growing up.

My father, never once met my teachers, never asked me about my plans for college, and till this day, has only a vague idea of what I did, what I do.

I remember when I was about 13. One summer, I was operating a buttoning machine in a sweat shop. I made maybe 50-100 bucks a week. My father would take all of the money. I remember asking him, to give me 10 dollars to buy a fishing pole. He answer was; "it doesn't cost money to feed you?". So the next week, I asked my boss if he could pay me 10 dollars in cash, he did. I got my fishing pole.

As a child, my father took me fishing once. As an adult, I took him fishing.....exactly once.

I started to see a little money when I was 32-33.....I leased an Acura. When my father saw that car, he said; "what do you need a car like that for?"

And when he saw my first Benz, he said; "that car is definitely going to get stolen".

There's more, but another time. I'll start pitying myself again.....

Timeline

Let it Go, Gyrene! quick - dig out the drawing paper, sit down with Liz, and get some work done before her bedtime.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Let it Go, Gyrene! quick - dig out the drawing paper, sit down with Liz, and get some work done before her bedtime.

I'm still in the office. Found something important to go over....

Timeline

uh oh. you get maudlin, you gonna drop and gimme 40 ! [20 ain't enough]

in other news, my mood is fairly decent since school started and my houseguests took over .... Still gotta finish up writing the divorce decree, but that's 4 or 5 hours throughout this week. Not worried about what's her face or any hope of reconciliation.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Well, what exactly is "money"? I grew up for the most part (except the first few years) upper middle class and sometimes I think it would be easier if I hadn't been. There were so many expectations, requirements, and constant pressure to perform that I think not living up to those created permanent issues, at least for me. My hair was never allowed to look "working class" and I found as I went into adulthood that I just had no frame of reference to appreciate or really understand anyone outside of my little bubble.

I've never had to work for anything and never well, nor could I. My upbringing has made me figuratively allergic to self support. , it is even a major blow that I inherited like 1/2 to 1/3 of what I thought I would. Hits my standard of living hard.

*shrugs* A fair number of peers have ended up much more worse off. They went to the best schools, got fancy cars, and now they can't even survive nearing 30.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

This is why I don't want to put pressure on the kiddo, or spoil her. Tough thing to do.

As long as you are doing your best, I think it will all be ok.

Speaking of doing their best, after the previous triumph of spinach, I got the little one to eat kale, actual green beans, and happily eat some broccoli.

Mind you, I never ate any of those until I was 21 and lived off of pasta in my childhood.

Edited by N-o-l-a

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Hubs grew up in Alabama. At one point he was homeless because his dad was a jerk and kicked him out, and he didnt want to live in another state with his mom and her boyfriend. He worked during high school to pay for his little s10 all on his own. He joined the military to get out of Alabama and do something with his life. Which he did. I'm proud of him. He's younger than me and makes three times my salary.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss