westcoast

Question re: 'intent' for K1

15 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I feel very prepared for the entire K1 and subsequent AOS process thanks to this forum, but have 2 related questions, which might be pedantic but have been nagging at me:

1) When you go for the K1 interview, are you allowed to say you want to move to the USA to be with your fiancee? Or are you not allowed to have intent to immigrate?

2) When you enter the US to be married and the plan is to adjust status after the wedding, your entrance on the K1 is then your move. If you're crossing the border with all your stuff on a K1 visa, is that allowed?

Thank you in advance!

Hi there,

I feel very prepared for the entire K1 and subsequent AOS process thanks to this forum, but have 2 related questions, which might be pedantic but have been nagging at me:

1) When you go for the K1 interview, are you allowed to say you want to move to the USA to be with your fiancee? Or are you not allowed to have intent to immigrate?

A k1 visa is for moving to the usa to marry your fiancé.

It is for immigrating.

Not sure what point of an interview you would state that, but all of us want or wanted to move to be with our loved ones.

Not quiet sure what you're worried about here.

2) When you enter the US to be married and the plan is to adjust status after the wedding, your entrance on the K1 is then your move. If you're crossing the border with all your stuff on a K1 visa, is that allowed?

Again you are moving to the usa to live. So yes you can bring stuff across the border. Edited by Cody and Daisy

My Name is Daisy, I am British, I say things bluntly and to the point.
London K1, A complete guide -- >http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/474161-london-k1-a-complete-guide/
I am Daisy the Beneficiary, These are my views!
U.K. k1 visa, approved 2014.

NOA1: 20/03/2014

NOA2: 11/04/2014 (22 days)

Interview: 09/07/2014 (111 days)

D.O.E 29/07/2014

Married 29/08/2014

AOS from K1/K3 Guide -->http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

AOS/EAD/AP Sent: 12/11/2014

Delivered at Chicago LB:15/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3): 17/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3) hardcopy: 24/11/2014(Notice date 20th)

Bio-metrics App letter: 28/11/2014(Notice date 21st)

Bio-metrics App Cleveland Ohio: 10/12/2014

EAD/AP:Approved/production 31/01/2015(update 2/2/1015) (80 days)

Combo Card: Mailed 5/2/2015

Combo Card: Delivered 6/2/2015AP

NOA: Approval Notice received 7/2/2015

Interview waiver letter: received 23/2/15 dated: 18/2/2015

Green Card: APPROVED 31/07/2015

(Remember, all my dates are British layout.. the proper layout!)

Hi there,

Thank you in advance!

1) K-1 is inherently for immigration. So yes, you can say that.

2) I don't understand your question. K-1 is a 1-time entry Visa.

ROC Timeline!

Service Center : California Service Center

NOA2017-09-01

Biometrics : 2017-09-28

ROC Approved 2019-01-17

AOS Timeline!

Marriage : 2015-01-10

AOS/EAD/AP NOA : 2015-01-20

Biometrics : 2015-02-17

EAD/AP Approved : 2015-03-17

NPIW : 2015-06-11

AOS Approved : 2015-11-24

K-1 Visa Timeline!

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Transferred? No

Consulate : Frankfurt, Germany

I-129F NOA1 : 2014-03-11

I-129F NOA2 : 2014-08-12

Consulate Received : 2014-09-15

Interview Date : 2014-11-13

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2014-11-15

US Entry : 2014-12-31

A k1 visa is for moving to the usa to marry your fiancé.

It is for immigrating.

Not sure what point of an interview you would state that, but all of us want or wanted to move to be with our loved ones.

Not quiet sure what you're worried about here.

Again you are moving to the usa to live. So yes you can bring stuff across the border.

That answers my question! Thanks. A lot of documentation I've read says "the K1 is to enter the US only to marry your fiancee". So wasn't sure if you weren't actually allowed to actually express the plan to permanently move there before the AOS interview.

Hi there,

Thank you in advance!

The K-1 visa is classified as a non-immigrant visa with the purpose of entering the US with the sole purpose of marrying the petitioner within 90 days of arrival and then filing for AOS. The K-1 allows for a single entry and you cannot leave the US and re-enter without the GC or advance parole (AP). So to answer your questions 1) Yes, you not only can say it, but you should have included a written statement stating that you intent to travel to the US and marry the petitioner within 90 days or arrival in the US and you sign this as does the petitione. 2) It not only allowed, but highly recommended as it will be awhile before you can leave the US and re-enter. You also do not need a round trip airline ticket as it is expected that you will marry within 90 days and file the AOS.

Dave

1) K-1 is inherently for immigration. So yes, you can say that.

2) I don't understand your question. K-1 is a 1-time entry Visa.

1) Thank you!

2) I know, but thought that it's ONLY for going to married and that maybe you're expected to come back to your home country after?

Now that I'm typing it out my question sounds silly but I just don't want to mess anything up :)

The K-1 visa is classified as a non-immigrant visa with the purpose of entering the US with the sole purpose of marrying the petitioner within 90 days of arrival and then filing for AOS. The K-1 allows for a single entry and you cannot leave the US and re-enter without the GC or advance parole (AP). So to answer your questions 1) Yes, you not only can say it, but you should have included a written statement stating that you intent to travel to the US and marry the petitioner within 90 days or arrival in the US and you sign this as does the petitione. 2) It not only allowed, but highly recommended as it will be awhile before you can leave the US and re-enter. You also do not need a round trip airline ticket as it is expected that you will marry within 90 days and file the AOS.

Dave

Thank you - was wondering about the round trip ticket as well. Appreciate it.

I will think you could. It is pretty much a given that the purpose of getting a K-1 visa is to bring your fiancé to the USA to marry him or her and adjust status later . You are given 90 days to get married. there is nothing wrong with mention you want to be your Fiancée on a k-1 visa. That is what the K-1 visa is for. If it was a tourist or work visa that might be different. That could be consider fraud. Relax for your interview

Yes you can bring stuff with you

Edited by j&ana

ROC
Service Center : Nebraska Service Center
Consulate : Manila, Philippines
Marriage (if applicable): 2014-05-20
I-130 Sent : 2014-10-06
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-10-09
I-130 RFE for NSO copy of marriage certificate: 2014-11-03
I-130 RFE Sent : 2014-11-18
I-130 Approved : 2014-12-07
NVC Received : 2014-12-23
NVC case number: 2015-02-04
Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2015-02-04
Pay AOS Bill : 2015-02-05
Submit DS-261 : 2015-02-05
Sent AOS Package : 2015-02-09
Sent IV Package : 2015-02-09
Scan date : 2015-02-10
Receive IV Bill : 2015-03-03
Pay IV Bill : 2015-03-06
Submit DS-260: 2015-3-12
Case Completed at NVC : 2015-03-20
Receive Instruction and Interview appointment letter: 2015-3-27
Medical complete: 2015-04-08
Interview Date : 2015-05-08
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2015-05-13

Date of US Entry : 2015-06-09

Date of Social Security card receive : 06-2015

Date of Green Card received 07-2015

Date of ROC FILE 05-19-2017

I-751 NOA Date 05-26-2017

http://jerryjja.wix.com/filipinasaswa?_ga=1.194674661.91538870.1441656248

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

if you were to tell them you DON'T have intent to move here that would be a red flag. I am not sure what you are confused about. A k-1 is a non immigrant visa with the promise that you will travel to the US marry within 90 days WITH the intent to live here....Am I missing something?

if you were to tell them you DON'T have intent to move here that would be a red flag. I am not sure what you are confused about. A k-1 is a non immigrant visa with the promise that you will travel to the US marry within 90 days WITH the intent to live here....Am I missing something?

That's what I was asking, if you're allowed to have the intent to live in the US on a K1, or if you shouldn't express that until you apply to AOS. Pedantic question, as I said, but just something I wanted to clarify.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hi there,

That's the whole purpose, to marry and permanently reside in the US.

Again, that's the point.....to move to the US. Most bring their stuff when they move.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

OMG I am the petitioner and I was the only person signed the Intent letter when I filed my 1-29f would they return my application and have both of us sign?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

OMG I am the petitioner and I was the only person signed the Intent letter when I filed my 1-29f would they return my application and have both of us sign?

Maybe, or request one from your fiance. I'd get that in hand now.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

I have seen threads which basically advise to make sure you mention marrying your fiance as your first and foremost reason for moving to the US, typically in response to "why do you want to live in the US?" which might be what caused some confusion here.

This is something they might ask you. Why do you want to move to our country? Basically you dont want to say I want to move to the U.S for X, Y and Z... oh and to marry my fiance. Your first answer should always be "to marry them" and then I guess some people choose to elaborate on why the U.S is more convenient for them as a couple.

Hope that makes sense.

Immigration Timeline

June 2013: Met whilst working at a summer camp in Michigan 

K1

November 1st 2014: I-129f submitted for K1 visa

February 24th 2015: Visa in hand!

February 26th 2015: POE at Las Vegas airport, then onwards to Oregon! 

March 6th 2015: Marriage (with a "real" wedding to follow next year on 7/6/2016)

March 9th 2015: AOS, EAD & AP submitted

September 22nd 2015: Interview

January 14th 2016: Two year Green card received -phew!

ROC

August 8th 2017: 90 day window begins! ROC time!

September 28th 2017: Biometric Appointment in Portland, OR

March 5th 2018: Case received by local office

August 18th 2018: 18 month extension letter mailed

December 2018: Case moved to another office

February 2019: I was emailed that I was approved and my card was in production the same day of my N400 interview 😂

N400

August 8th 2018: Window opens to submit naturalization application

August 13th 2018: N400 Application submitted online 

August 14th 2018: NOA1

September 6th 2018: Biometrics

February 6th 2019: Interview Date! APPROVED!

February 6th 2019: I was asked to return later the same day for my Oath Ceremony! :dance:

❤️ Our Visa Journey is finally complete ❤️

I am the Beneficiary

I have seen threads which basically advise to make sure you mention marrying your fiance as your first and foremost reason for moving to the US, typically in response to "why do you want to live in the US?" which might be what caused some confusion here.

This is something they might ask you. Why do you want to move to our country? Basically you dont want to say I want to move to the U.S for X, Y and Z... oh and to marry my fiance. Your first answer should always be "to marry them" and then I guess some people choose to elaborate on why the U.S is more convenient for them as a couple.

Hope that makes sense.

Thank you - this is exactly what I was looking for!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

K-1 is a visa with the intention to immigrate, so the expectation is that you enter on K-1 then adjust status once married, so yes your reply should be you are moving to the US to marry as your sole reason. K-1 is a one entry visa, meaning unless you get Advanced Parole (you need to apply for that once in the US) then you are expected to not leave the US whatsoever until you receive your Green Card. If you leave the US with no Green Card or no Advance Parole, then you cannot enter on the K-1 visa again, meaning major problems. Purpose of K-1 is to enter America and marry then remain in America until you get Advance Parole or Green Card, both which take time to receive. So, whatever you need to bring to the US you need to bring the one time you enter on the K-1 visa. Anything else will need to wait until you can travel back with proper authorization to enter the US again, like Advance Parole or Green Card. K-1 visa will NOT get you back in to the US a second time if you decide to leave with no other visa or return permit.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.