jaimelee

Language Barriers?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I would just like to hear everyones experiences when it comes to finding a job without being 100% fluent in speaking and understanding English.

My husband is feeling pretty down right now because we found him a stable job where he wouldn't have to speak English at all and it was at a local restaurant where he would play piano (a repertoire that the restaurant owner wanted and he worked on for months) and last night was his first performance, unfortunately the owner of the restaurant turned down his piano, disrespected my husband and insulted his musical abilities. My husband got frustrated and said he would no longer be playing for the restaurant. So now we are back at step 1…

I would say my husband is at maybe a 40 - 50% speaking and understanding English. I helped him out with his resume and want to send it out to a few places, however, he's really nervous about an interview and if employers will be willing to speak more slowly or reiterate with easier words. I understand each employer is different but does anyone have any experience in this? He really wants to do something where he is speaking English and we are working on his English, he's in classes which he attends 2x per week, plus we try to speak English as much as possible and my family always speaks English with him.

Thank you!

(10.04.2014) AOS Package Sent

(10.08.2014) NOA-1 e-mail & text messages received
(10.14.2014) NOA-1 hard copy received in mail

(10.20.2014) Biometrics appointment notice received in mail

(10.29.2014) RFE received

(10.30.2014) Biometrics appointment

(11.03.2014) USCIS Local Office appointment

(11.13.2014) Sent RFE response

(12.19.2014) EAD/AP Approved, card being produced

(12.24.2014) EAD/AP Official approval notice received in mail

(12.29.2014) EAD/AP sent to address

(12.30.2014) EAD/AP received in the mail

(01.20.2015) Potential interview waiver notice received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

I guess it depends what kind of job he wants. He's from Chile so he speaks Spanish, right?! Perhaps it's a better idea to take a less qualified job where he doesn't speak English but then attend his classes and practice it at home with you and your parents? Once he's more fluent in English, he can look for another job.

In my previous profession, I often hired non-native speakers as maids and for washing up dishes in the kitchen as those are jobs that have limited guest/client contact and don't really require native language skills. Good luck! ?

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Timeline

I guess it depends what kind of job he wants. He's from Chile so he speaks Spanish, right?! Perhaps it's a better idea to take a less qualified job where he doesn't speak English but then attend his classes and practice it at home with you and your parents? Once he's more fluent in English, he can look for another job.

In my previous profession, I often hired non-native speakers as maids and for washing up dishes in the kitchen as those are jobs that have limited guest/client contact and don't really require native language skills. Good luck! ?

Thank you for your reply. Yeah he doesn't really want a job that would have to do with cleaning or anything a normal non-native speaker would do. Thats why I am kind of wondering if anyone who does speak only about half of the language has had any luck getting a job or how and interview has worked for that kind of person.

He would much rather promote himself and play occasionally in different venues and events, or his artistry than take said job. My mother believes his english is enough and has sent him a job teaching piano which he would love to do and his qualified to do, I'm just wondering like I said if anyones had any experience in getting a job speaking english even with limited English skills.

Thanks for the luck!

Edited by Jaime<3Marco

Filed: Timeline

If there is one thing I wish people had told me about before I started my job search in the US, it would have been to not look at my foreign language skills as a disadvantage. It pays off to actually make it your special skill!

I was extremely worried about finding a job despite not speaking perfect English when I moved to the US. I tried really hard to hide the fact that I'm a non-native speaker (I struggle when talking to people, and I make some obvious mistakes in emails, too). It didn't help me at all because I put myself under too much pressure and all my job applications sounded stiff and awkward.

But then I started searching for jobs on LinkedIn and Craigslist that had "German" (my first language) as keyword in them -- and I found lots of jobs where international companies were searching for people with certain foreign language skills! Many employers give bonus points for applicants that are fluent in another language. And there's a surprisingly big variety of jobs where such skills are extremely valuable - translation, customer support, language testing, quality control, retail, hospitality, transport, etc. For many of those jobs it's not a big deal if your English isn't perfect as long as you can communicate with other people in the team.

Once I put my foreign language skills in my title on LinkedIn, I kept getting messages from recruiters that needed people with foreign language skills. I've been offered jobs at Google, Apple, etc. just because of that! So, I don't think your husband has much to worry about. And once he finds a job, his English will probably rapidly improve, as well. Good luck to him with the job search!

Edited by MiniKoala

Timeline

If there is one thing I wish people had told me about before I started my job search in the US, it would have been to not look at my foreign language skills as a disadvantage. It pays off to actually make it your special skill!

I was extremely worried about finding a job despite not speaking perfect English when I moved to the US. I tried really hard to hide the fact that I'm a non-native speaker (I struggle when talking to people, and I make some obvious mistakes in emails, too). It didn't help me at all because I put myself under too much pressure and all my job applications sounded stiff and awkward.

But then I started searching for jobs on LinkedIn and Craigslist that had "German" (my first language) as keyword in them -- and I found lots of jobs where international companies were searching for people with certain foreign language skills! Many employers give bonus points for applicants that are fluent in another language. And there's a surprisingly big variety of jobs where such skills are extremely valuable - translation, customer support, language testing, quality control, retail, hospitality, transport, etc. For many of those jobs it's not a big deal if your English isn't perfect as long as you can communicate with other people in the team.

Once I put my foreign language skills in my title on LinkedIn, I kept getting messages from recruiters that needed people with foreign language skills. I've been offered jobs at Google, Apple, etc. just because of that! So, I don't think your husband has much to worry about. And once he finds a job, his English will probably rapidly improve, as well. Good luck to him with the job search!

Thank you so much! This is very uplifting and I have read this to him and he wanted to say thank you to you as well. I will keep all of this in mind. Do you think if I help him to make his resume or cover letters grammatically correct in English that doing so is kind of misleading? Did you do this when you put your resume up on Linkedin?

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

The language barrier is a problem for many immigrants. Most immigrants who have professional degrees often have to take non-skilled jobs.

For immigrants who want a home and food, then any job will do. There are engineers and lawyers working in non-skilled jobs so they can feed their families. They are slowly building their lives in the US.

Your husband may have to swallow his pride and take a paying job.

It's rare for someone who does not speak English well to simply continue his career after moving to the US.

Filed: Timeline

Thank you so much! This is very uplifting and I have read this to him and he wanted to say thank you to you as well. I will keep all of this in mind. Do you think if I help him to make his resume or cover letters grammatically correct in English that doing so is kind of misleading? Did you do this when you put your resume up on Linkedin?

Hey, I'm so glad to read that you found my words encouraging!

I don't think it's misleading if you have someone proofread your resume. I'm pretty sure everyone does that, even native speakers ;) I usually worked on my resume and cover letters quite a bit until I showed them to my husband. But I would not have wanted to put them online or send them out without him correcting my grammar first!

BTW, I basically started my career in the US. I had just graduated from University when I started the immigration process and didn't have any work experience. I don't have any exceptional qualifications other than my foreign language skills and my extreme ambition :lol: And yet I still managed to get a good job right away, and got an even better one 6 months later (I now work in Tech Support/Content Marketing/Translation :thumbs: ). Sure, it's not easy to find a decent job in the US, whether you're an immigrant or not, but it's definitely POSSIBLE. Having a good online portfolio, building a network (that was my least favorite part because I'm not very sociable,lol), and being clever about the whole job searching process all definitely help a lot!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: France
Timeline

Hello,

i live in Miami (Florida) and i can tell you a lot they don't speak english, only spanish and they work everywhere... I can tell you that speak spanish make him have more opportunity, here i see they work also in Walmart, target, .... restaurant, sometimes it is needed to speak spanish, so be confident, it is more easy when you speak spanish even if your english is not enough.

Also something else, he can improve his english and learn with " rosetta stone English " in the computer, there is different level and it is easy to learn, my husband put this in my computer.

Good evening.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Chile
Timeline

Hi! This is probably not very helpful, but I just wanted to say, we had the opposite situation, when I was living in Chile with sub-par Spanish, it was very difficult to find a job. I started out just working independently as an English teacher. I learned to enjoy the process of developing Spanish little by little and focused my energy on that. About a year in, I finally got a full-time job, also as an English teacher, but at a school where I needed to know Spanish. Eventually my Spanish rose to the occasion. But there is so much frustration along the way. You kinda feel like you're going back to being a small child, just having to learn the most basic things. I would encourage your husband to see this as part of the process, and also to push himself, not be afraid to make mistakes, and think that many Americans are probably just threatened by the fact that he DOES speak two languages––most of us only speak one!

That's not very practical advice. But hopefully he knows MANY of us have been there. And a year from now, his English will be amazing.

PS––I'm sure there's some parents out there who would pay a fortune for bilingual piano lessons... :goofy:

Sept 1, 2012: Married in Chile (USC living abroad)
Sept 17, 2012: I-130 mailed to USCIS
Sept 20, 2012: I-130 received at California Service Center
Sept 27, 2012: I-130 transferred to Missouri
October 8, 2012: NOA1 hard copy received
October 13, 2012: Transfer hard copy received
December 5, 2012: NOA2 email received (I-130 approved)
December 17, 2012: NVC says they've received the case
December 28, 2012: NVC case number assigned
December 31, 2012: NVC email with AOS bill and DS-3032 received
January 2, 2013: DS-3032 emailed to NVC
January 2, 2013: AOS bill paid online
January 2, 2013: Received cover sheet for AOS by email
January 10, 2013: Received email confirmation for DS-3032
January 11, 2013: Received email invoice for IV bill
January 15, 2013: Mailed AOS packet from Chile
January 16, 2013: Paid IV bill and received email cover sheet for IV packet
January 16, 2013: Mailed IV packet
January 31, 2013: Received checklist asking for original docs even though docs were original
February 1, 2013: Asked for supervisor review
February 14, 2013: Supervisor approved our docs, said packet was sent to the embassy
February 20, 2013: Got case complete email from NVC
March 4, 2013: Got original instructions from NVC by snail mail, good thing we didn't wait, haha
March 6, 2013: Received interview date and instructions from NVC by email
April 17, 2013: Interview - approved!

Lifting Conditions

March 26, 2015: Filed with CSC

April 7, 2015 (ish?): Received NOA

July 9, 2015: Original Biometrics Appt

August 3, 2015: Returning to Chile to live happily ever after there...

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

As an American, I can tell you this. First, even Americans do not speak perfect English, let alone write English perfectly. Keep in mind that fluency is really the ability to speak without thinking what words come next. That being said, it is expected that non-native English speakers will make mistakes. Thus, as an American, I can tell you that while in the U.S. I would come across people on a DAILY basis that have poor English and generally they can be understood. Pronunciation is always more important than grammar. Large vocabulary, understanding it, and using it in a sentence is the best thing to improve. Grammar is less important. In large cities it is hugely common to come across people that speak little to no English, as well as those with poor and better levels of English and they get jobs. I wouldn't worry too much about it. My wife is Chinese, majored in English, has a large number of English ability certificates, and her English is pretty good, but she thinks it is horrible and we never speak Chinese at home. We have known each other 8 years, married for 4 years, and she still makes the same mistakes, but it doesn't change my understanding. Living in China, I communicate with teachers, students, professionals, everyday and their English is what I would consider in the 25-50% range as you describe, and I have no problems understand them. I would not concern yourselves with this issue. HOWEVER, always intend to improve to speak and communicate more natively and naturally and fluently as time goes on.

TraumaDoc's point about English proficiency is dead on, some Americans don't even bother with paragraphs. LOL.

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Serbia
Timeline

TraumaDoc's point about English proficiency is dead on, some Americans don't even bother with paragraphs. LOL.

Well Happy Monday

Thank you for making me laugh .. this was spot on :)

But anyhow,

I have been living in US close to 20 years now. When I arrived to US my English was bad. I understood some, but my use of English was very, very limited, pronunciation was horrible and I wasn't able to venture into any deeper conversation then 'hi-bye, how are you doing - good and you?' ....

Over the past 20 years I can tell you that I only had two instances where I heard the 'go back to where you came from' but I would be lying if I didn't say that those comments had NOTHING to do with me. it was their own personal issue with whatever was going on in their day or life for that matter.

My mom frequently visits as well, and does not speak English. She is super cute when she continuously apologizes to store clerks or other by saying ' Sorry, no speak English" and the most common answer is something like "but thank you for trying ... you speak some English and we do not speak your language... or just simple 'that's ok (with a smile)...'

My point is, Americans are very forgiving if you genuinely show that you are trying. They have patience, they are willing to help and are just understanding.

Over the years I have finished college here, and went so far to owning my own business. Never did I ever felt less of a human or a level below just because my English skills were not up to par with a native speaker.

Smile on, fear off.. and all is good :)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I would just like to hear everyones experiences when it comes to finding a job without being 100% fluent in speaking and understanding English.

My husband is feeling pretty down right now because we found him a stable job where he wouldn't have to speak English at all and it was at a local restaurant where he would play piano (a repertoire that the restaurant owner wanted and he worked on for months) and last night was his first performance, unfortunately the owner of the restaurant turned down his piano, disrespected my husband and insulted his musical abilities. My husband got frustrated and said he would no longer be playing for the restaurant. So now we are back at step 1…

I would say my husband is at maybe a 40 - 50% speaking and understanding English. I helped him out with his resume and want to send it out to a few places, however, he's really nervous about an interview and if employers will be willing to speak more slowly or reiterate with easier words. I understand each employer is different but does anyone have any experience in this? He really wants to do something where he is speaking English and we are working on his English, he's in classes which he attends 2x per week, plus we try to speak English as much as possible and my family always speaks English with him.

Thank you!

Everything will be fine, what he needs is "CONFIDENCE!!!"

I am here in US about 6 months, not everyone can understand what I'm talking because my English is not fluent with asian slang, but I understand what everyone is talking (might say "pardon" when they talk too fast lol...)

Some direct sales called me & try to promote their products and services over the phone, end up they dropped off the line because they can't understand my English :P

From now on let him write everything in English by himself, is ok to have mistake from writing!

Speak only English at home, practice is important. My hubby bring me to Church all Sundays, and fellowship once a week so I'm able to communicate with others people, I can't speak that well is because my hubby love me so much, he able to understand my English and didn't spot my mistake for the past 5 years, that actually lead me have no improvement at all... in fact, try to talk to stranger more often can really improve his English speaking skills!

I have no problem in my job interview although I know the recruiter or hiring manager feel disappointed as my English is not up to their expectation, but I able to secured a job today, in my first job interview... (L)

Many office assistant, administrative job, data entry, or even Music and Spanish teacher jobs he can try to apply, many bilingual (English + Spanish) skills required too in the market, go search from Career builder, Indeed, Glassdoor (Monster is ok too but will have lot of insurance or MLM companies offers job that no base paid fully on commissions).

Good luck & keep up!!!

12.15.2009 - Meet through online games, he is my Hero star_smile.gif

02.14.2010 - Dating

12.22.2010 - First meet@London (My first white Christmas)

[Long.distance: Skype, Whatsapp, Messenger, eCard, eGifts]

12.29.2011 - He visit my parents@Kuala Lumpur

02.20.2013 - B2 Rejected crying.gif

06.19.2013 - K1 visa application documents mailed to John

12.20,2013 - Packet 3 received

05.20.2014 - Checklist and DS-230 sent

06.25.2014 - Packet 4 (Appointment letter) received

07.02.2014 - Medical Exam

07.11.2014 - Medical Exam result received

07.15.2014 - Final Interview

07.18.2014 - K1 visa secured

09.12.2014 - Landed Chicagoland

10.10.2014 - Married in Court House :content:

11.15.2014 - SSN with name changed obtained

12.08.2014 - AOS Files Sent

01.08.2015 - Bio Appointment

02.12.2015 - I-765 & I-131 approved!

02.23.2015 - Employment Authorization Card received

as1cHhSB0361800MTAwNDcxNGx8NTQ1MjgxbHxEY

as1cR2SoSf-1800MTAwMzVsfDQ1NTQ4MTlsc3xDb

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I can't speak that well is because my hubby love me so much, he able to understand my English and didn't spot my mistake for the past 5 years, that actually lead me have no improvement at all... in fact, try to talk to stranger more often can really improve his English speaking skills!

Very common. I have an acquaintance whose wife has been here for over 20 years and still does not pronounce his name correctly. I tried to help her with pronunciation, but she refused to try.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Very common. I have an acquaintance whose wife has been here for over 20 years and still does not pronounce his name correctly. I tried to help her with pronunciation, but she refused to try.

Most of the cases is because their partner love them, never give them stress and learn to be independent, just like what my hubby done for me, until I started my volunteering at Foodbank, I found that my hubby is the only one who can communicate with me in the US, so I force myself to learn from listen, speak and understand. :)

Immigrant who yet to get any offer, or have problem in English, can consider to be volunteering, many non-profit organizers here need volunteering, is a good time to build resume and learn "American Slang"..lol.

12.15.2009 - Meet through online games, he is my Hero star_smile.gif

02.14.2010 - Dating

12.22.2010 - First meet@London (My first white Christmas)

[Long.distance: Skype, Whatsapp, Messenger, eCard, eGifts]

12.29.2011 - He visit my parents@Kuala Lumpur

02.20.2013 - B2 Rejected crying.gif

06.19.2013 - K1 visa application documents mailed to John

12.20,2013 - Packet 3 received

05.20.2014 - Checklist and DS-230 sent

06.25.2014 - Packet 4 (Appointment letter) received

07.02.2014 - Medical Exam

07.11.2014 - Medical Exam result received

07.15.2014 - Final Interview

07.18.2014 - K1 visa secured

09.12.2014 - Landed Chicagoland

10.10.2014 - Married in Court House :content:

11.15.2014 - SSN with name changed obtained

12.08.2014 - AOS Files Sent

01.08.2015 - Bio Appointment

02.12.2015 - I-765 & I-131 approved!

02.23.2015 - Employment Authorization Card received

as1cHhSB0361800MTAwNDcxNGx8NTQ1MjgxbHxEY

as1cR2SoSf-1800MTAwMzVsfDQ1NTQ4MTlsc3xDb

The language barrier is a problem for many immigrants. Most immigrants who have professional degrees often have to take non-skilled jobs.

For immigrants who want a home and food, then any job will do. There are engineers and lawyers working in non-skilled jobs so they can feed their families. They are slowly building their lives in the US.

Your husband may have to swallow his pride and take a paying job.

It's rare for someone who does not speak English well to simply continue his career after moving to the US.

I have to disagree. a lot of company want someone that can speak different language. It is a beneficiary to them. With that said I am sure the company will want the individual to meet all of their other requirements

ROC
Service Center : Nebraska Service Center
Consulate : Manila, Philippines
Marriage (if applicable): 2014-05-20
I-130 Sent : 2014-10-06
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-10-09
I-130 RFE for NSO copy of marriage certificate: 2014-11-03
I-130 RFE Sent : 2014-11-18
I-130 Approved : 2014-12-07
NVC Received : 2014-12-23
NVC case number: 2015-02-04
Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2015-02-04
Pay AOS Bill : 2015-02-05
Submit DS-261 : 2015-02-05
Sent AOS Package : 2015-02-09
Sent IV Package : 2015-02-09
Scan date : 2015-02-10
Receive IV Bill : 2015-03-03
Pay IV Bill : 2015-03-06
Submit DS-260: 2015-3-12
Case Completed at NVC : 2015-03-20
Receive Instruction and Interview appointment letter: 2015-3-27
Medical complete: 2015-04-08
Interview Date : 2015-05-08
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2015-05-13

Date of US Entry : 2015-06-09

Date of Social Security card receive : 06-2015

Date of Green Card received 07-2015

Date of ROC FILE 05-19-2017

I-751 NOA Date 05-26-2017

http://jerryjja.wix.com/filipinasaswa?_ga=1.194674661.91538870.1441656248

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.