CourMad

DS-260 confusion

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I was looking up some DS-260 sample forms and they are really confusing. my lawyer is getting me confused!

• petitioner, the petitioner on the DS-260 is the same one that filed the I-130? right? the US citizen?
  • I am also very confused regarding the address, so we put the address of my wife's mom on the I-130, but we really want to live in Seattle, I have a job offer there and my employer will book me an accommodation for 3 months until we find a house (unfortunately the address of the accommodation is not known yet) what should we fill in for the address you intend to live in (US address)? also the address where the mail the green card, what should we do? I am so confused.
  • so now our IV and AOS were invoiced, but we see only AOS as payable only and we paid it, how long do you think the case will take to be completed (NVC phase). we are assigned to the consulate in Frankfurt, Germany.

we are really excited and happy and grateful for your advise folks! you are really doing us a huge favor :)

thanks!

Yes, the petitioner is the same person that petitioned during the I-130 phase. In terms of your address, if I was in your circumstances I'd keep it at your mother-in-law's as your green card will get mailed there. If you put it as your temporary accommodation in Seattle (when known), there's a slight risk that it could get lost or fall into the wrong hands.

Did you complete your DS-261 yet?

Now chronicling my experience in handy blog format at

http://the-shipping-forecast.tumblr.com/

Timeline

Yes, the petitioner is the same person that petitioned during the I-130 phase. In terms of your address, if I was in your circumstances I'd keep it at your mother-in-law's as your green card will get mailed there. If you put it as your temporary accommodation in Seattle (when known), there's a slight risk that it could get lost or fall into the wrong hands.

Did you complete your DS-261 yet?

thanks for your reply. I did not fill out the DS-260 yet, but I was worried because my lawyer is a huge idiot and thinks that the petitioner on the DS-260 is someone else. I think I should fill the DS-260 by myself. do you have any idea how long it would take for the green card to be shipped?

Hi everyone,

I was looking up some DS-260 sample forms and they are really confusing. my lawyer is getting me confused!

• petitioner, the petitioner on the DS-260 is the same one that filed the I-130? right? the US citizen?
  • I am also very confused regarding the address, so we put the address of my wife's mom on the I-130, but we really want to live in Seattle, I have a job offer there and my employer will book me an accommodation for 3 months until we find a house (unfortunately the address of the accommodation is not known yet) what should we fill in for the address you intend to live in (US address)? also the address where the mail the green card, what should we do? I am so confused.
  • so now our IV and AOS were invoiced, but we see only AOS as payable only and we paid it, how long do you think the case will take to be completed (NVC phase). we are assigned to the consulate in Frankfurt, Germany.

we are really excited and happy and grateful for your advise folks! you are really doing us a huge favor :)

thanks!

1) yes the petitioner is always the same person.

2) but the address of your mother if that is a safe place to do so. The beneficiary can change it at interview or at the POE, or after entering the USA (online at the USCIS website) and finding a permanent home. Anytime the beneficiary moves in the USA they must notify the USCIS within 10 days of relocating and can do so via AR-11 or online. The USC must notify the USCIS with an I-865 within 30 days.

3) The IV is tied to the DS-261. Please spend some time reading this: http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

1) yes the petitioner is always the same person.

2) but the address of your mother if that is a safe place to do so. The beneficiary can change it at interview or at the POE, or after entering the USA (online at the USCIS website) and finding a permanent home. Anytime the beneficiary moves in the USA they must notify the USCIS within 10 days of relocating and can do so via AR-11 or online. The USC must notify the USCIS with an I-865 within 30 days.

3) The IV is tied to the DS-261. Please spend some time reading this: http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

thanks! :)

I did not need a DS-261 as we have a lawyer attached to the case

Then the IV and the AOS invoice should have happened at the same time.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

Then the IV and the AOS invoice should have happened at the same time.

they did happen at the same time, but only AOS is seen as payable online. I called and they said that it is a glitch in the system and it should be there in a couple of days.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

thanks for your reply. I did not fill out the DS-260 yet, but I was worried because my lawyer is a huge idiot and thinks that the petitioner on the DS-260 is someone else. I think I should fill the DS-260 by myself. do you have any idea how long it would take for the green card to be shipped?

if your lawyer is a "huge idiot" then why are you still using him/her? You are wasting your money, you can easily finish the process on your own just by doing a little research. 99% of the people on this site, including myself, have gone through the process form start to finish without the help of any attorney. As long as your case is straightforward there is no need to employ a lawyer.

if your lawyer is a "huge idiot" then why are you still using him/her? You are wasting your money, you can easily finish the process on your own just by doing a little research. 99% of the people on this site, including myself, have gone through the process form start to finish without the help of any attorney. As long as your case is straightforward there is no need to employ a lawyer.

likely to get the AOS and IV invoiced at the same time. Some people employ them just for that reason.

Timeline

likely to get the AOS and IV invoiced at the same time. Some people employ them just for that reason.

not to be mean or anything, but please don't start jumping into conclusions if you do not know the circumstances, we did not even know that if you have a lawyer you would get your AOS and IV invoiced at the same time :)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Slovenia
Timeline

She is speaking generally:)

N-400 Timeline
04/02/19 N-400 Submitted online
04/22/19 Biometrics
11/05/19 Interview (Approved)

ROC Timeline

Service Center: California

08/11/17 I-751 Packet delivered to USCIS

09/18/17 Biometrics Appointment

08/17/18 2nd extension letter (additional 6 months)

11/02/18 New card is being  produced (Approved)

NVC
11-04-2014 NVC case receive

05-20-2015 Visa received

10-06-2015 Time to kick back and let it fly

She is speaking generally:)

That I was. ;)

Could have used the word "possibly" instead of "likely" and it likely would have caused less offense though. My bad!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Slovenia
Timeline

Ups...was:)

N-400 Timeline
04/02/19 N-400 Submitted online
04/22/19 Biometrics
11/05/19 Interview (Approved)

ROC Timeline

Service Center: California

08/11/17 I-751 Packet delivered to USCIS

09/18/17 Biometrics Appointment

08/17/18 2nd extension letter (additional 6 months)

11/02/18 New card is being  produced (Approved)

NVC
11-04-2014 NVC case receive

05-20-2015 Visa received

10-06-2015 Time to kick back and let it fly

Timeline

no worries ;)

you really have no idea what it means to be stuck with a lawyer who you know more stuff than he/she does. the paralegal wanted to put my future US employer as my petitioner on the DS-260! she thinks it's an employment based petition :ranting:

I had to write them a very long wended email yesterday that the NVC does not require a letter from my current employer stating position, salary, #of working hours per week, etc., I also had to explain to them that the NVC does not need a scanned copy of every single page of my passport, and that the NVC does not require translations of the docs issued from the country where your interview will be taking place, that is not fun at all!

:cry:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.