Janelle2002

Illegal Immigrant Identification Card: New York City Vows New Immigration Policy Will Fight Fraud

41 posts in this topic

rtx14le8.jpg?itok=IYKBjvSc
Then-mayoral candidate Bill de Blasio (front, third from right) speaks at a rally for immigration reform outside City Hall in New York on Oct. 23, 2013. New York City will provide free identification cards to immigrants starting in January 2015. Reuters

Illegal immigrants living in the most populous city in the United States will soon be able to obtain identification cards needed to access government services and other benefits. New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio announced the criteria for the municipal ID card Friday while reassuring the public that the program would protect against identification fraud.

ADVERTISEMENT

“A great deal of analysis and care went into ensuring our IDNYC card is strong on privacy and security, while providing access to as many people as possible,” said de Blasio said in a press release. “We want New Yorkers to feel proud to carry this card in their wallet, but also to feel confident knowing that their information is safe and secure."

The identification cards will be available starting in January 2015. Nisha Agarwal, the city's commissioner of immigrant affairs, said City Hall sought feedback from advocates, focus groups, residents and immigrants while designing the card system. “We are going to continue to develop the program, working with businesses and our community partners to make new benefits available to cardholders as the program grows," Agarwal said. "Today’s announcement underscores our commitment to delivering to New Yorkers the best possible and most robust municipal ID card program in the country.”

De Blasio announced in July that the city would give photo identification cards to illegal immigrants. The program will remain free through Dec. 31, 2015. The cards expire after five years and the minimum age to apply is 14 years old. Conservatives have slammed the mayor for giving free "perks" to illegal immigrants.

To prevent fraud, applicants must present proof of identity, including foreign passports and birth certificates, and New York City residency. The cards will be printed on polycarbonate card stock and will include an embedded hologram, the applicant's signature and a secondary, black and white "ghost" photo of the applicant.

Government officials hope they will soon be able to keep better track of who lives in New York City under the ID program. Roughly half of all New York City residents over the age of 16 don't have state driver's licenses.

New York City is home to more than 500,000 immigrants without legal status.

http://www.ibtimes.com/illegal-immigrant-identification-card-new-york-city-vows-new-immigration-policy-will-1736415

giving id cards to people who snuck across the border, used fake ids, social securities or passports is a sure free way to fight fraud. :rofl:

They have had these in my hometown for several years. In fact, they are available to all residents, regardless of immigration status. I know several people who have them who are citizens. The rationale for the cards was so that it would allow those people out of status (yes, not just "people who snuck across the border" -- also available to K1 people prior to AOS) and those who have unlawful presence to get bank accounts more easily. Lack of banking options made these people easy pickings for muggings and burglary, because they often had cash on their persons or stored at home. The police were concerned about this, and supported an ID card for this purpose. Local banks agreed to accept the cards as proof of identity. Banks get new customers, and attendant crimes went down (I have heard). In order to incentivize everyone to get a card -- including legal residents and citizens -- some merchants offered discounts, and there were a few other minor perks. Upshot is that people including people here legally like the card, as do cops, and the merchants who get more business.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: Timeline

They have had these in my hometown for several years. In fact, they are available to all residents, regardless of immigration status. I know several people who have them who are citizens. The rationale for the cards was so that it would allow those people out of status (yes, not just "people who snuck across the border" -- also available to K1 people prior to AOS) and those who have unlawful presence to get bank accounts more easily. Lack of banking options made these people easy pickings for muggings and burglary, because they often had cash on their persons or stored at home. The police were concerned about this, and supported an ID card for this purpose. Local banks agreed to accept the cards as proof of identity. Banks get new customers, and attendant crimes went down (I have heard). In order to incentivize everyone to get a card -- including legal residents and citizens -- some merchants offered discounts, and there were a few other minor perks. Upshot is that people including people here legally like the card, as do cops, and the merchants who get more business.

What are you saying? That these illegal immigrants are real, actual people? Get out of town...

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

These cards should be emblazoned on both sides in enormous letters:

"ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT"

lets make it even easier ...

simply brand "ILLEGAL" on the foreheads of those persons. when they obtain legal status ... give the person the name of the local Mary Kay cosmetic rep so the branded person can obtain cosmetics to cover the brand.

Edited by natty bumppo

When the economy collapses they will go away. Just printed another trillion today I believe.Notice your food bill lately? The dependants will be the first to go.

http://www.nationalaffairs.com/publications/detail/inflation-and-debt

Edited by Pinocchio Liberal

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

Like the song says.

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Actually it creates a data bank of contact info so if we ever get government will the balls to enforce the law we can go door knocking and pick them up.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I thought photo ID was racist?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I thought photo ID was racist?

Only at voting polls and during traffic stops.

Education is what you get from reading the small print. Experience is what you get from not reading it.

The Liberal mind is where logic goes to die!

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

or:

"Criminal Foreign Alien"

Entering the US illegally is now a cool thing. Especially in New York and California.

Way more cool to enter through Washington state especially since there aren't any impediments. 427 miles of unimpeded vacation access. At least on the southern border there are some fences, barbwire, and landmines.

Edited by Torete

Filed: Other Timeline

Way more cool to enter through Washington state especially since there aren't any impediments. 427 miles of unimpeded vacation access. At least on the southern border there are some fences, barbwire, and landmines.

Good idea. Just boat in and walk into the White House. oh, Washington State. Well, Washington DC is the place that's currently welcoming

Edited by ExExpat