YandP

International Driver's License while going through AOS (merged)

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi everyone :)

I will appreciate your expertise on the following issue:

are you allowed to drive using your driver's license issued abroad while waiting for adjustment of status (from k-1)??? Anyone was going through this? Anyone from CT was going through this? :)

Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated :)

Filed: Timeline

are you allowed to drive using your driver's license issued abroad while waiting for adjustment of status (from k-1)??? Anyone was going through this? Anyone from CT was going through this?

I checked the DMV web-site and it ways:

"Connecticut permits a student or visitor to operate a motor vehicle in Connecticut for a period of up to one year with his or her foreign license."

but while waiting for AOS I am neither a student nor a visitor :oops:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello, I have a friend who just got here, she came here through K1, and she is driving using her driver's license from the philippines but she drives only when her husband is with her, i do not know if that matters though.

But to be sure, wait for someone else's comment :-)

I am the beneficiary. ?

AOS timeline from K1

08-25-2014 - Mailed i485 packet via USPS

08-27-2014 - Packet delivered and signed by S. Bush

09-10-2014 - Email and txt notification received ???

09-17-2014 - Notice of Action (hard copy) received in mail dated 09/10/2014

09-17-2014 - Case Status changed from Acceptance to Initial Review

09-26-2014 - Biometrics Appointment Letter received and is scheduled on 10/06/2014 ???

10-06-2014 - Biometrics is done successfully. ???

12-01-2014 - I-797C notice (interview appointment letter) received, the uscis letter postmark is the same date

as our interview appointment date 11-25-2014 ??? U N B E L I E V A B L E !!!!

12-08-2014 - Interview appointment re-scheduled on 01-09-2015 ??? RELIEVED AND GRATEFUL

12-12-2014 - Online status changed to "Testing & Interview".

01-09-2015 - Interview Appointment Date ???

01-09-2015 - AOS application APPROVED! Case Status changed to card production and Welcome Notice mailed. ???

01-15-2015 - Welcome Notice received. ???

01-16-2015 - New card was mailed ??????

01-16-2015 - Case status online updated to "card was picked up by the USPS", tracking number received.

01-17-2015 - Received notification from USCIS and USPS that the card has been delivered. But only to find out that it was not delivered in our mailbox.

01-17 to 01-19-2015 - Green Card Missing.

01-20-2015 Green Card received. The carrier found it! ??? and delivered it to us. So relieved and thankful. ???

THANK YOU VISAJOURNEY AND TO ITS MEMBERS! YOU ARE ALL PART OF OUR VISA JOURNEY. ???

If you're not a student or visitor then no.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Duplicate threads merged. Please do not make multiple threads for the same or similar topic.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I am sorry, i cant find how to delete one post :(

It's ok, I put them both together :)

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

are you allowed to drive using your driver's license issued abroad while waiting for adjustment of status (from k-1)??? Anyone was going through this? Anyone from CT was going through this? :)

Why wouldn't you get your license? This is one form of proof of address/residence for AOS.

Edited by Lorvin

I-751

NOA8/11/17

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

DMV site says how long new residents have to get a license.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

are you allowed to drive using your driver's license issued abroad while waiting for adjustment of status (from k-1)??? Anyone was going through this? Anyone from CT was going through this?

I checked the DMV web-site and it ways:

"Connecticut permits a student or visitor to operate a motor vehicle in Connecticut for a period of up to one year with his or her foreign license."

but while waiting for AOS I am neither a student nor a visitor :oops:

I don't know about K-1, but my (now ex-)husband came in on a CR-1, and we were first in CT for a year before relocating. He put off getting a CT license until 6 months after he arrived, despite me reminding him that as a resident, he really needed to get one. We happened to get pulled over one night in Killingworth coming home from seeing friends (tail light out, didn't know) while he was driving on his UK license. The cops didn't cite him for it, but reminded him he absolutely needed to get one ASAP (and I had to drive home). He was worried that he was going to fail the test, despite having driven in the UK for 20 years without a single ticket... :-/

Anyway, if you're worried about the CT test, don't. It's fairly easy. I did it as an adult (I had never gotten a driving license before in the US), and I wasn't required to parallel park or do a three point turn. The only "hard" thing I had to do was back into a parking space at the end of the test. Mostly it was turn right, turn left, merge into traffic. Make sure the car you're doing it in is in good condition (all lights working, up to date insurance) and trust yourself! I did it in Hamden and it was a breeze.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Depends on the state. You have to look at your state's DMV laws. What works in CT may not work in FL and what works in CA may not be the same in MT.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

For Connecticut, I believe it was somewhere between 30-60 days.

I don't know about the process during AOS, but because the license came from out of the country (there are a handful of countries they'll accept licenses from), my husband had to get a permit like a teenager and then hold that for 60 days before he could take a road test. During those 60 days he was not allowed to drive without a licensed driver in the vehicle with him. It was a pain, but we'd rather do stuff right than risk a ticket or issues during an accident.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I don't know about K-1, but my (now ex-)husband came in on a CR-1, and we were first in CT for a year before relocating. He put off getting a CT license until 6 months after he arrived, despite me reminding him that as a resident, he really needed to get one. We happened to get pulled over one night in Killingworth coming home from seeing friends (tail light out, didn't know) while he was driving on his UK license. The cops didn't cite him for it, but reminded him he absolutely needed to get one ASAP (and I had to drive home). He was worried that he was going to fail the test, despite having driven in the UK for 20 years without a single ticket... :-/

Anyway, if you're worried about the CT test, don't. It's fairly easy. I did it as an adult (I had never gotten a driving license before in the US), and I wasn't required to parallel park or do a three point turn. The only "hard" thing I had to do was back into a parking space at the end of the test. Mostly it was turn right, turn left, merge into traffic. Make sure the car you're doing it in is in good condition (all lights working, up to date insurance) and trust yourself! I did it in Hamden and it was a breeze.

It is super easy and so is the permit test. My husband easily passed both and they just made him drive around the block, not even parallel park.

I had to retake the written test in Minnesota (after not having to do that for a license transfer in 4 other states) and that was actually kind of hard as in unexpected that I'd have to memorize so many different speeds and stopping distances. With many other states, like Connecticut, the written test is common sense, but MN....ouch.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

It is super easy and so is the permit test. My husband easily passed both and they just made him drive around the block, not even parallel park.

I had to retake the written test in Minnesota (after not having to do that for a license transfer in 4 other states) and that was actually kind of hard as in unexpected that I'd have to memorize so many different speeds and stopping distances. With many other states, like Connecticut, the written test is common sense, but MN....ouch.

I think they don't make adults parallel park, from anecdotal evidence. When I took my test, I was corralled in a waiting area with a bunch of teenagers taking the road test as well. We were all comparing notes as we came back. Every one of them had to parallel park AND do a three-point turn. I was grateful for the break!

I had to take the written test out here in CA after moving, which was also harder than the CT test, but in doing so I learned that in many ways driving laws are way more permissive here, which totally explains the idiots on the road in LA.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.