stev

Montreal now only consulate processing K-1 in Canada

129 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey Everyone!

My fiancee lives in Calgary so we assumed the NVC would send our application to Vancouver, but ours was sent to Montreal. When she called the NVC she was first told that they were all being sent to Montreal now, but we hadn't seen anything on VJ and Van's website says they process k-1s so she called the NVC again the next day and was told to email both consulates. Today we received an email from the Montreal consulate confirming "The Montreal Consulate General is the only Canadian consulate processing immigrant visa applications and K1 visas." This is definitely an inconvenience for us as we had been planning on an interview closer to her home. We wanted to let everyone else know about the change so you can plan accordingly.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Well you may want to email Montreal first and see if that is the case.....as quite often NVC gives out the wrong info--not saying it is not true---but they do give out a lot of wrong info at times! The operator may have gotten it confused with the CR-1/IR-1....so best to email Mtl and find out what is the true story.......

Actually best to email Vancouver...as they often reply faster

Edited by Flames9_RN

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Wow that is nuts. NVC sent ours out 10 days before yours and we are at Vancouver. Maybe they routed yours incorrectly and see if you can get switched over? I know on the CEAC website, ours said it was sent to MTL, but our number is VAC and our packet 3 came from Vancouver.

K1 Vancouver

AOS

4/4/15- AOS/EAD/AP sent

4/6/15- Package received

4/9/15- NOA1- text/email

4/13/15- NOA1 hard copy EAD/AP (NOA1 dated 4/7)

4/14/15- NOA1 hard copy AOS (NOA1 dated 4/7)

4/17/15- Biometrics Letter received

4/29/15- Biometrics completed

6/23/15 (Day 77)- Service request

7/2/15 (Day 86)- Service request complete, email of approval of EAD (approved on June 30)

12/29/15- Interview

Timeline

Has happned many times before where it gets sent to the wrong consulate.....In ur email to Mtl--state u live in Calgary and request they send it to Van........

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Has happned many times before where it gets sent to the wrong consulate.....In ur email to Mtl--state u live in Calgary and request they send it to Van........

We emailed both consulates saying exactly that but received an email from mtl this morning saying they are the only one's processing k1s

That really sucks for people out West, airfare within Canada is so expensive. I saw a post a few days ago about no appointments being available in Montreal, I can only imagine how bad it will be if all the K-1 interviews are here now. :ranting:

Montreal is a beautiful city, hopefully your fiancée enjoys her stay.

''No matter how painful distance can be, not having you in my life would be worse''

August 16 2013: Started dating

July 6 2014: Got engaged! (L)

Timeline

Well taht sucks. I'll bet it increases CR-1/IR-1 wait times.

Met in 2010 on a forum for a mutual interest. Became friends.
2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

June-September, 2013: Discussion about being together begins.

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

May 9, 2014: Petition mailed to USCIS

May 12, 2014: NOA1.
October 27, 2014: NOA2. (5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day after NOA1)
October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

November 18, 2014: NVC receives our case (22 days after NOA2)

December 17, 2014: NVC generates case number (50 days after NOA2)

December 19, 2014: Receive AOS bill, DS-261. Submit DS-261 (52 days after NOA2)

December 20, 2014: Pay AOS Fee

January 7, 2015: Receive, pay IV Fee

January 10, 2015: Complete DS-260

January 11, 2015: Send AOS package and Civil Documents
March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

May 6, 2015: Interview at Montréal APPROVED!

May 11, 2015: Visa in hand! One year less one day from NOA1.

Timeline

This whole process sucks. It sucked yesterday when I knew K1 visa's were issued in Vancouver and it really sucks now that K1's are going to be coming out of Montreal. I live in Victoria and its going to cost me about 1,500 to get to Montreal for the CR1 visa interview of half an hour :( and if there were few appointment times for CR1 what will it be like with all the K1's there too? Bad for both groups. On a happier note....maybe they will switch out and the CR1's will be done in Vancouver!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just when you think they have changed up things as much as they can in one year...BOOM! <_< Let's just create a grand old backlog in Montreal now, shall we?

ROC

01/18/2017   Sent in I-751

01/26/2017   Check cashed

01/28/2017   Received NOA dated 01/20/2017

02/16/2017   Biometrics done

10/24/2017   Traveled to Minneapolis for I551 stamp

02/26/2018     Case received by Field Office - S. Paul

05/012018     Case transferred to another USCIS office for processing 

N-400

02/02/2018    Filed N-400 online

02/05/2018    NOA online - NOA letter 02/09/2018

02/21/2018     Biometrics walk-in

You should be going to Vancouver. What is your case number start with? VAC or MTL?

I would think the Vancouver consulate would say they no longer process fiancé visas if they didn't.

http://vancouver.usconsulate.gov/mobile/visas/fiance-visas.html

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Yes, we assumed that as well but both the NVC and the montreal consulate confirmed that Vancouver no longer processes K1 visas.

Our case number starts with MTL and to reiterate, we did try and have it transferred to Vancouver based on my Calgary residence.

Unfortunately this adds a great cost to all those applicants out West and hopefully it is just a temporary change.

We will be sure to update everyone if we receive any more information about this!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

oh no.. this is not happening :(

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS  (CSC) FROM K1 VISA

06.23.17 - Application sent

06.26.17 - Received

06.29.17 - NOA

07.10.17 - Biomentrics Notice (via Post mail)

07.17.17 - Biometrics schedule

09.16.17 - 10 year GC received

CITIZENSHIP (N400)

02.26.2020 - Online Application

02.27.2020 - NOA

03.16.2020 - Biometrics Appointment

03.06.2020 - Biometrics Completed (Walk in)

There is no news on the Vancouver consulate website either. I'm thinking someone answering emails from Montreal is new and doesn't have the right information and Stev's case was mis-directed in the first place to Montreal but time will reveal all! It will definitely be a pain to travel all the way out east as I too am in Calgary. The funny part is that I will be in Montreal next week for a meeting and it would have been a blessing to be able to do the interview there if it is true that all k-1 visas are done there now.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.