Karee

'Unintelligent' blacks 'brainwashed' to choose street cred over success: Charles Barkley

147 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Never one to shy away from candid comments, former Auburn Tiger and NBA Hall of Famer Charles Barkley told Philadelphia radio hosts too many black people are caught up in a culture that's more concerned with street cred than intelligence.

Speaking on the radio show "Afternoons with Anthony Gargano and Rob Ellis," Barkley was asked his opinion on Seattle Seahawks Quarterback Russell Wilson, who was the subject of an article detailing allegations he wasn't "black enough."

Barkley fired back:

"We as black people are never going to be successful, not because of you white people, but because of other black people. When you are black, you have to deal with so much ####### in your life from other black people," Barkley said.

Barkley, a native of Leeds, said African Americans are too concerned with street cred than true success and that's holding the community back.

"For some reason we are brainwashed to think, if you're not a thug or an idiot, you're not black enough. If you go to school, make good grades, speak intelligent, and don't break the law, you're not a good black person. It's a dirty, dark secret in the black community.

"There are a lot of black people who are unintelligent, who don't have success. It's best to knock a successful black person down because they're intelligent, they speak well, they do well in school, and they're successful. It's just typical BS that goes on when you're black, man."

Source: http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2014/10/unintelligent_blacks_brainwash.html

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Charles Barkley is right on point here. This issue has been dogging blacks from the start. Jackie Robinson, the first black to play major league baseball

couldn't help himself. In spite of his success on the field he would steal bases every chance he got.

Edited by Dan and Judy

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

If you say so.

I just think its sad that a tabloid headline is used as a jumping off point for caustic and sensitive social issue.

Clearly there is no agenda behind the posting of this particular article and clearly there is no intent to stir the pot with certain posters.

IMO this article adds nothing substantial to anyone's understanding of race relations. Rather I believe it is intended merely to confirm preconceived prejudices.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

If you say so.

I just think its sad that a tabloid headline is used as a jumping off point for caustic and sensitive social issue.

Clearly there is no agenda behind the posting of this particular article and clearly there is no intent to stir the pot with certain posters.

IMO this article adds nothing substantial to anyone's understanding of race relations. Rather I believe it is intended merely to confirm preconceived prejudices.

Translation: You don't like what he has to say on the matter, so you dismiss it as a "tabloid headline" Thanks for your well thought out contribution to the subject, as usual.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Right, because you haven't weighed in on the content of the article at all. You merely stated an opinion inquiring about my reason for posting it. I have to ask, why comment on it at all, if you have no intention of addressing the content of the article?

Have you commented on it?

What Sir Charles is saying has been said many times here. I think even some of the mainstream black leaders have admitted this is an issue. Barkley is right on the money. Of course this is just one part of a very complicated issue.

I don't think anyone will argue it is not an issue even Marvin. I think it will become an issue if all blacks are painted this way, but certainly an issue with way too many of the youth.

The limo driver training me is a Black guy from Barbados. (Been here most of his life) Salt of the earth, fine family man, wish America was full of him. The kind of guy you just love to be around.

Last night we picked up a Limo of rich white people, with one AA woman and one Asian in the mix. 60 Year old white man and his family got so drunk they could barely function. Constant stream of F bombs non stop for 30 mins. Shouting Vulgar phrases non stop. Told the Black woman, you are finally in the back of the Limo where you belong Rosa Parks. They broke six glasses, we had to stop twice because they opened the emergency hatch. My trainer said it was the worst bunch ever. Then they did not tip. The Black woman (who was very hot) was the only person to apologize out of the whole bunch.

There is a moral to this story

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Whose preconceived prejudices? :huh:

Charles Barkley's? :unsure:

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

What Sir Charles is saying has been said many times here. I think even some of the mainstream black leaders have admitted this is an issue. Barkley is right on the money. Of course this is just one part of a very complicated issue.

I don't think anyone will argue it is not an issue even Marvin. I think it will become an issue if all blacks are painted this way, but certainly an issue with way too many of the youth.

The limo driver training me is a Black guy from Barbados. (Been here most of his life) Salt of the earth, fine family man, wish America was full of him. The kind of guy you just love to be around.

Last night we picked up a Limo of rich white people, with one AA woman and one Asian in the mix. 60 Year old white man and his family got so drunk they could barely function. Constant stream of F bombs non stop for 30 mins. Shouting Vulgar phrases non stop. Told the Black woman, you are finally in the back of the Limo where you belong Rosa Parks. They broke six glasses, we had to stop twice because they opened the emergency hatch. My trainer said it was the worst bunch ever. Then they did not tip. The Black woman (who was very hot) was the only person to apologize out of the whole bunch.

There is a moral to this story

I would only argue that this ISN'T the only problem black people face. His choice of words should have been "one of the issues is" not "black people are the only issue."

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

I would only argue that this ISN'T the only problem black people face. His choice of words should have been "one of the issues is" not "black people are the only issue."

which is exactly what I said. NB- "Of course this is just one part of a very complicated issue."

I don't know why this is so shocking, it has been openly talked about, by many black leaders. Hardly inflammatory. He could have done without the unintelligent part.

I am thinking we have discussed this in the past.