Karee

'Unintelligent' blacks 'brainwashed' to choose street cred over success: Charles Barkley

147 posts in this topic

do I think he us being racist in his remarks? His remarks are racist, I think he is in his heart an egomaniac driven to make idiotic statements to keep the focus on himself. This is the man who said he would hire himself out to the Klan if given enough money. He has no cred himself

Seriously? I have never met a person in my lifetime ignorant enough to say that. Kinda sad, if indeed he did say that.

And so it seems he did...

http://charlesbarkleyquotes.blogspot.com/

http://barkleyquotes.com/quotes/1016

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/20130518barkley-bites-memorable-quotes-from-charles-barkley-during-his-time-phoenix-suns.html

Well, I've only been in four of those countries you mentioned, and I have seen some of the same things you have. But I think the root cause is not racism as we experience it here in the USA; rather, I believe it is a language barrier. People DO tend to hang out with similar people, for obvious reasons. Language is a biggie. Many Koreans and Japanese are "nose bleed" when it comes to speaking English. They are ashamaed that they can't speak it, so they tend to be very stand-offish if you try to engage with them, unless you know their language. I have been in situations where a (Korean) man wouldn't even acknowledge me when I was trying to ask him directions. But I threw out about all five words in Hangul I knew, and suddenly he was a fountain of information... most of which I could not understand. Obviously, the PI and Thailand don't have quite the same level of English speaking citizens as Korea and Japan (and perhaps less pride, IDK), so it's easier for us to mingle with them.

As for the bar thing, it's not just a black thing, trust me. Or at least it wasn't where I was. I remember getting away from military installations and seeing signs in front of bars saying that Americans are not welcome inside, do not enter. Yeah, there are always factions/regions who don't appreciate outsiders, but if you happen to get in good with one Korean, and can communicate with them, a lot of the "fear factor" drops away and fun can be had by all.

That's the thing. I know the basic greetings and phrases in Japanese, Chinese, and Korean since we go there more than anywhere else. Sometimes that would help. Others, not so much. I tell any person from different country, "your english is better than my whatever language I am trying to speak at the time." If I had to rate the three, I'd say wherever you'd find the most expats, you'd have more issues. Less Americans, the easier it is to get accepted. Yokosuka was full of military members, but I'd seen and heard of bars that would deny black service members but allow white ones passage. I'd tell my sailors you don't want to give them your business anyway.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Charles Barkley is a prime example of black people who so call "make it" and forget everything they went through to get there. It is easy to forget your struggles when you have so many people willing to "accept" you because of your social status and wealth. I don't disagree with everything he is saying but I totally disagree with how unsuccessful black people are is totally the fault of black people. The stats prove this is false when people without an associate degree are getting hired at a much higher rate than blacks with an associate's degree. And black student's with a B.S. still has the highest unemployment rate of all graduates. These stats are not very encouraging when people keep saying one of the keys to black people's success can very well be education but the educated ones cannot get employed.

Charles Barkley is a prime example of black people who so call "make it" and forget everything they went through to get there. It is easy to forget your struggles when you have so many people willing to "accept" you because of your social status and wealth. I don't disagree with everything he is saying but I totally disagree with how unsuccessful black people are is totally the fault of black people. The stats prove this is false when people without an associate degree are getting hired at a much higher rate than blacks with an associate's degree. And black student's with a B.S. still has the highest unemployment rate of all graduates. These stats are not very encouraging when people keep saying one of the keys to black people's success can very well be education but the educated ones cannot get employed.

Appears to be true here.

Education... not sure how I feel about that today. 20 years ago, it might have meant more. Nowadays, it seems without out it, you aren't eligible for the good jobs. So it's a discriminator. But in my recent job hunting, it hasn't seemed to help me land a job, either.

I would only argue that this ISN'T the only problem black people face. His choice of words should have been "one of the issues is" not "black people are the only issue."

Why is there such a strong call for nonconformity to our society amongst blacks?

Appears to be true here.

Education... not sure how I feel about that today. 20 years ago, it might have meant more. Nowadays, it seems without out it, you aren't eligible for the good jobs. So it's a discriminator. But in my recent job hunting, it hasn't seemed to help me land a job, either.

Yes, it seems you are not eligible without it but still hard to get a job with it. So why do so many people tell black people this is one of the main factors holding us back?

Why is there such a strong call for nonconformity to our society amongst blacks?

People in every group has some form of nonconformity, however, the problems amongst black people are pointed out more.

Yes, it seems you are not eligible without it but still hard to get a job with it. So why do so many people tell black people this is one of the main factors holding us back?

People in every group has some form of nonconformity, however, the problems amongst black people are pointed out more.

I haven't seen the level of non-conformity from any other demographic like I do with blacks. Most people from all demographics except blacks want to succeed in life. A very large amount of black people go out of their way not to conform and denounce those black folks that do. I'm curious as to why, because it doesn't make much sense to me.

I haven't seen the level of non-conformity from any other demographic like I do with blacks. Most people from all demographics except blacks want to succeed in life. A very large amount of black people go out of their way not to conform and denounce those black folks that do. I'm curious as to why, because it doesn't make much sense to me.

Very strong statement from someone that do not know "most" black people.

Very strong statement from someone that do not know "most" black people.

One does not need to know blacks to have a general consensus of the situation. It's very clear and happens often. If you don't want to answer the question, that's fine, I'll wait for Marvin.

There's a self-fulfilling prophecy at work.

A self fulfilling prophecy of shooting yourself in the foot is what doesn't make sense to me.

One does not need to know blacks to have a general consensus of the situation. It's very clear and happens often. If you don't want to answer the question, that's fine, I'll wait for Marvin.

A self fulfilling prophecy of shooting yourself in the foot is what doesn't make sense to me.

You are right. Not knowing at least 20 black people, watching Fox news, listening to radical Christian talk has clearly made you an expert of the situation. Please wait for Marvin. Maybe he has more patience to deal with your overgeneralized ideology.

You are right. Not knowing at least 20 black people, watching Fox news, listening to radical Christian talk has clearly made you an expert of the situation. Please wait for Marvin. Maybe he has more patience to deal with your overgeneralized ideology.

Or maybe he has a better sense of who is asking the question. :rolleyes:

Maybe. I think you are being too sensitive. Everyone wants you to think there is some heavy crisis amongst the black people when in fact every group has it's problems. Fear is the biggest creator of separation.

Other than that, I'm in a testy mood and your trolling is too early in the morning. Catch me after I drink my 4th cup of coffee. :ranting:

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

There is an internal logic to it and believe it or not it's quite common.

I'm actually studying psychology at the moment.

Not knowing at least 20 black people, watching Fox news, listening to radical Christian talk has clearly made you an expert of the situation.

That was a perfect description of you. :lol: