Karee

'Unintelligent' blacks 'brainwashed' to choose street cred over success: Charles Barkley

147 posts in this topic

which is exactly what I said. NB- "Of course this is just one part of a very complicated issue."

I don't know why this is so shocking, it has been openly talked about, by many black leaders. Hardly inflammatory. He could have done without the unintelligent part.

I am thinking we have discussed this in the past.

We have. The problem with successful black men and women that do this, is they leave that part out. They call themselves "The New Black". And they speak as if there's no real struggle. Black youth need to know that hard work and education is the key, but they need to be aware there will be some roadblocks you will have to endure due to your skin color. That's just the facts of life. "There is always going to be an overreaction to you, be it positive or negative."

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I would only argue that this ISN'T the only problem black people face. His choice of words should have been "one of the issues is" not "black people are the only issue."

The choice of words is a big part of what's wrong with it.

I understand the argument he's making but I don't think its profound or says anything that hasn't been expressed better by others.

As I say, I think there's an agenda in posting this and the choice of words in it has a lot to do with that.

The choice of words is a big part of what's wrong with it.

I understand the argument he's making but I don't think its profound or says anything that hasn't been expressed better by others.

As I say, I think there's an agenda in posting this and the choice of words in it has a lot to do with that.

It's not. But who says something is almost as impactful as what was said. Because he's black he's allowed to say this. If he was white, the outcome would have been completely different.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Timeline

It's not. But who says something is almost as impactful as what was said. Because he's black he's allowed to say this. If he was white, the outcome would have been completely different.

I think race politics is such a charged issue that using sensationalist and loaded language is always going to be problematic. Very often it reveals a person's biases.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I agree.

Isn't Charles the one who got hell for talking about the positive aspects of the different races?

Filed: Other Timeline

I agree.

Isn't Charles the one who got hell for talking about the positive aspects of the different races?

There is only one race. We all belong to the human race. That being said, there are no differences, positive or negative to discuss. There are regional variations that are due to geographical differences that people have adapted to. People who live in the Andes or Himalayas have an adaption to the low oxygen available. That's nothing to do with them being from a different race, it is simply an adaption to the local conditions. Any physical difference you can name is an adaption, not a difference in 'race'. Perhaps if people were better at understanding this, there would be less acrimony based on visual cues, but probably not.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
there are no differences, positive or negative to discuss.

Fine...don't discuss them then. We can count on you to abstain from the discussion of racial differences?

Filed: Other Timeline

Fine...don't discuss them then. We can count on you to abstain from the discussion of racial differences?

I will continue to point out that it's a discussion based on a false premise and point out what that false premise is and why. Do you have a problem with that?

Timeline

You're the only one who seems to be getting charged up about it. Everyone else is just discussing the reality of the situation. Your bias seems to be not to mention anything that could possibly hurt anyone else's feelings - whether it's true or not.

I guess it must be all the loaded and hyper-emotional language I've used thus far in the thread. Clearly, I am irrational and cannot control my emotions :rolleyes:

Perhaps you would like to try that again?

If you say so.

I just think its sad that a tabloid headline is used as a jumping off point for caustic and sensitive social issue.

Clearly there is no agenda behind the posting of this particular article and clearly there is no intent to stir the pot with certain posters.

IMO this article adds nothing substantial to anyone's understanding of race relations. Rather I believe it is intended merely to confirm preconceived prejudices.

Since your opinion is that the OP is inflammatory and isn't substantial, we all look forward to your not participating in the thread.

Barkley fired back:

"We as black people are never going to be successful, not because of you white people, but because of other black people. When you are black, you have to deal with so much ####### in your life from other black people," Barkley said.

Well, there have been more and more successful black people as time goes on. Sad that it has taken so long, but it can only get better as we move forward. And not just in the arena of sports, but other careers.

There is only one race. We all belong to the human race. That being said, there are no differences, positive or negative to discuss. There are regional variations that are due to geographical differences that people have adapted to. People who live in the Andes or Himalayas have an adaption to the low oxygen available. That's nothing to do with them being from a different race, it is simply an adaption to the local conditions. Any physical difference you can name is an adaption, not a difference in 'race'. Perhaps if people were better at understanding this, there would be less acrimony based on visual cues, but probably not.

So much poo in one post. Wow