Jimmyzr1

Divorced 10 yr green card holder wants to bring son to US

16 posts in this topic

Ok, my question is, can a divorced recent 10 year green card holder bring her minor son to the US and will it take very long?

Wow, my soon to be ex was hoping it would be less time than that. Her friend told her that it should take 3 years. She's trying to get me to stay around but she causes me too much stress and I don't want to end up supporting him until 20 something if he goes to college.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Wow, my soon to be ex was hoping it would be less time than that. Her friend told her that it should take 3 years. She's trying to get me to stay around but she causes me too much stress and I don't want to end up supporting him until 20 something if he goes to college.

Why does she cause stress? Is it not possible to work things out? *being nosy*

K1 Visa Event Date Service Center : Texas Service Center Transferred? No Consulate : Juarez, Mexico

I-129F: Sent 9/5/2014

I-129F: Arrived at Lewisville 9/8/2014

I-129F: NOA1 Text message/mail 9/11/2014

I-129F: Alien Registration Number Changed 9/16/2014

I-129F: Request to correct on document or notice assigned to an officer for response 10/25/2014

I-129F: Name Change request made 10/31/2014

I-129F: Crickets as of today

OP really , you can keep it as a secret to yourself , no one want to hear all of those things.

We are here to help if you have questions .

It will be around 2 years for F2A category.

I don't know why I cannot edit my text.

I've contacted Moderators to delete your specific post , they will delete it soon.

Edited by Phillip Wu

USCIS
June 01, 2013 I-130 Started

June 10, 2013 Priority Date
June 14, 2013 NOA 1
September 10, 2013 NOA 2

NVC
October 21, 2013 AoS Fee Paid
December 22, 2013 DS261 Submitted
December 27, 2013 DS261 Accepted ( via email )
December 28, 2013 IV Fee Bill Invoiced
December 29, 2013 AoS Package Sent
December 30, 2013 IV Fee Paid & DS260 Submitted
January 11, 2014 IV Package Sent
January 07, 2014 AoS Package Received ( call NVC )
January 15, 2014 IV Package Received ( call NVC )
January 27,2014 Received AoS Checklists ( email )
January 27,2014 Received IV Checklists ( email )
February 25,2014 Sent IV Checklists back
February 28,2014 IV Checklists Package Delivered
March 5,2014 Sent AOS Checklists back
March 10,2014 AOS Checklists Package Delivered
March 19,2014 Case Completed ( call NVC )
March 22,2014 Case Completed ( CC email )

Consulate
February 05,2015 Interview Letter
March 12,2015 Interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** one post removed per OP request. You can only edit your posts for 5 minutes after posting. *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

It is better for your soon-to-be ex to petition for her son and file I-864 herself, so that you don't need to be on hook for financial support.

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Yes, I think she wants me to petition her son because she thinks it will take less time for him to be here. Is it true it takes less time for her son to join her if sponsor is petitioning?

Yes, I think she wants me to petition her son because she thinks it will take less time for him to be here. Is it true it takes less time for her son to join her if sponsor is petitioning?

Yes, USC as step parent could petition for step-child with no priority date if your marriage to the child's parent takes place before the stepchild's 18th birthday

How long does your soon-to-ex has the GC?

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

We are in the midst of that very thing. My wife's 6 yr old daughter is still in the PI. I'm petitioning her as my step-child., (CR-2.) This takes considerably less time than a GC holding parent petitioning. All that is to be proven is that we were married before the child turns 18. Look at the guides for petitioning family members.

Ok thanks. Yes, she already has her 10 year GC and doesn't want it to take 3 years, which is what her friend told her. But I am no longer willing to stay married to her. But I will help her in any other way possible.

Assuming that you want to help out then considering petition her child as step child , it will be a lot faster ( You're USC ) the visa will not subject to visa quota as mentioned above.

USCIS
June 01, 2013 I-130 Started

June 10, 2013 Priority Date
June 14, 2013 NOA 1
September 10, 2013 NOA 2

NVC
October 21, 2013 AoS Fee Paid
December 22, 2013 DS261 Submitted
December 27, 2013 DS261 Accepted ( via email )
December 28, 2013 IV Fee Bill Invoiced
December 29, 2013 AoS Package Sent
December 30, 2013 IV Fee Paid & DS260 Submitted
January 11, 2014 IV Package Sent
January 07, 2014 AoS Package Received ( call NVC )
January 15, 2014 IV Package Received ( call NVC )
January 27,2014 Received AoS Checklists ( email )
January 27,2014 Received IV Checklists ( email )
February 25,2014 Sent IV Checklists back
February 28,2014 IV Checklists Package Delivered
March 5,2014 Sent AOS Checklists back
March 10,2014 AOS Checklists Package Delivered
March 19,2014 Case Completed ( call NVC )
March 22,2014 Case Completed ( CC email )

Consulate
February 05,2015 Interview Letter
March 12,2015 Interview

Assuming that you want to help out then considering petition her child as step child , it will be a lot faster ( You're USC ) the visa will not subject to visa quota as mentioned above.

And why would OP do that if he is about to get divorced? Being on the hook for 2 people with I-864 and potentially looking into the child support and everything else that comes with divorce, not the best decision.

OP, have wife file for the child - you step away and let her handle it. When she naturalizes, she can get the petition upgraded to IR and cut some wait time that way.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.