JoelyLeidy

Time to know each other

41 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I WANT to go visit two more times after the I-129F is filed just to expedite the situation, But does the CO officer really care if those two visits are AFTER or before the petition is filed? It seems like it wouldn't matter as long as we were working on our relationship and toward marriage?

Depends on the CO. But I would say not. I only visited my fiance (now husband) for 10 days ONCE before filing the I-129F and (obviously) we were approved.

I was also there for the interview, and stayed with him in Argentina. We had pictures of me with him and his family, various landmarks in Argentina (including the sign with his hometown's name at the train station), and my passport stamps/boarding passes, etc.

They want to know that it's bona fide. Take pictures of you with her family, visiting various places in Colombia. While you're doing that, also take pictures of you at a restaurant or two and keep the receipts of your meal(s). Take a screenshot of your conversations once a week, to show that you're continuing your relationship. Send or Bring her a MagicJack & Phone, so you can have phone logs between you. MagicJack she can use with an ethernet cable to call via a US number, unlimited phone calls in the US. It's like $30/year. Go check it out. :P

You can leave the MagicJack with her family if and when she immigrates to the US so they can continue to call her. :)

Once you meet the requirements you can file, after that you can build even more evidence of a bona fide relationship for the interview stage.

~ Don't forget to 'Vote Up' useful advice from others ~

K1 Visa Journey [April 11, 2013 - August 31, 2014]
[2014-09-20] !!! WEDDING !!!
[2014-09-22] Applied for SSN
[2014-09-26] Marriage License in Snail Mail
[2014-10-22] Notification of SSC in mail, will arrive "within 2 weeks"
[2014-10-27] SSC Arrived!

2015-04-30] Mailed AOS Package!
[2015-06-16] EAD Approved!
[2015-06-16] AP Approved!
[2015-06-23] EAD/AP Card Received!

[2015-10-02] AOS Approved (No Interview)!

[2015-10-07] Greencard Mailed

[2015-10-09] Approval Notice Recieved

[2015-10-09] Greencard Recieved!

I used RapidVisa for my petition; a paperwork service. A K1 is $375.00 to use their hassle-free online application system.

Useful Links:
Igor's List | Advanced Search Tool | Q&A With a Former USCIS Adjudicator
Visa Status Checker (Once you get a Case # from NVC) | Offical USCIS Reasons for a K1 Denial

The advice offered by this user is not legal advice. You should contact an attorney to obtain legal advice.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You can use the evidence of the one meeting in person in order to file the I-129F petition. Collect more evidence of visits together while waiting for the I-129F petition to be approved. Take the proof of those visits in person to the K-1 visa interview along with your other evidence of having a valid relationship.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

You can use the evidence of the one meeting in person in order to file the I-129F petition. Collect more evidence of visits together while waiting for the I-129F petition to be approved. Take the proof of those visits in person to the K-1 visa interview along with your other evidence of having a valid relationship.

Beside chat history and then visit with lots of photos, what other documentation? engagement ring receipt we have...airline tickets we will have I send her flowers I have gift credit card statements from the trip that shows purchases at department stores.......and those receipts... phone records, I just signed up for Vonage so we have cheap phone records along with a chat history....emails........I just want, as I go forward that we have all our ducks in a row so the CO has no doubt about us... I know it would break her heart and mine to go through this and have that let down....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

For the I-129F petition, you just need to show the passport stamps, boarding passes, receipts for purchases/ATM transactions while visiting there, and a couple photos of you two together. You need to prove you met in person within the 2 years before filing. You can add in a small sampling of relationship evidence too, which will be for the consulate to see before your interview.

Take the evidence of other visits plus all the various relationship evidences you have mentioned to the K-1 visa interview.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

[voice of caution]

There's nothing like filing an I-129F petition after one visit, gaining USCIS's approval, making more visits afterwards, taking that extra evidence of a bona fide relationship to the interview, and finding out to your chagrin that the CO made up his mind to refuse the visa on the basis of the thin evidence that was in the I-129F petition package.

Except perhaps in the VWP countries and the Philippines, do not (do not!) take the consular phase for granted.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Finland
Timeline

[voice of caution]

There's nothing like filing an I-129F petition after one visit, gaining USCIS's approval, making more visits afterwards, taking that extra evidence of a bona fide relationship to the interview, and finding out to your chagrin that the CO made up his mind to refuse the visa on the basis of the thin evidence that was in the I-129F petition package.

Except perhaps in the VWP countries and the Philippines, do not (do not!) take the consular phase for granted.

Kudos! That's what I was thinking too. If the consular sees that the petition was filed after a 5 day visit, it is quite suspicious. It is marriage that we are talking about here, not a simple vacation.

Go see her one more time, and document it well, before you file the petition.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I would say you have a couple of red flags.

1. Age difference. Now, that can easily be solved with with a rock-solid bonafide proof!

There comes the second. You have literally met her last months, for FIVE days! Snapshots of your chats mean very little, as it is not relevant enough. Marriage is a serious thing, and going for the petition after 5 days spent together is a little bit suspicious.

These are two adults,,,,,,,making adult decisions........there is NO reason that they can't file the petition and still get to know each other. My wife and I only met in person for 10 days....so we were twice as good?

Yes it SHOULD be understood (and discussed openly) that they still have a lot to learn about each other....and it would be suggested (as my wife and I had) that at any time either could end it all just like that.

You should meet her at least once more, for MORE than 5 days!

If possible, but not a necessity.

There is the proof right there, doing activities together.

No proof of a relationship....just proof of doing something together.

Get to know each other as much as you can. You should do this, not just for the petition, but for yourself. Meet each other's families, and take pictures. She will probably be asked if her family approves of your relationship.

Solid advice.

How is her english?

Or....how is your Spanish.....works both ways.

I am sure your relationship is genuine, and that you are in love,

Love has nothing to do with international visa and immigration procedures.

but having a red flag demands you prepare the best you can for the process, especially the interview.

Maybe, depends on the ages....more than the difference in ages.

Best of luck! : )

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Kudos! That's what I was thinking too. If the consular sees that the petition was filed after a 5 day visit, it is quite suspicious. It is marriage that we are talking about here, not a simple vacation.

Maybe

A another visit doesn't prove a relationship.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

[voice of caution]

I only visited my fiance (now husband) once prior to filing for 10 days. I went and stayed with him for 2.5 months and during that was present for the interview. Obviously we were approved. :P

~ Don't forget to 'Vote Up' useful advice from others ~

K1 Visa Journey [April 11, 2013 - August 31, 2014]
[2014-09-20] !!! WEDDING !!!
[2014-09-22] Applied for SSN
[2014-09-26] Marriage License in Snail Mail
[2014-10-22] Notification of SSC in mail, will arrive "within 2 weeks"
[2014-10-27] SSC Arrived!

2015-04-30] Mailed AOS Package!
[2015-06-16] EAD Approved!
[2015-06-16] AP Approved!
[2015-06-23] EAD/AP Card Received!

[2015-10-02] AOS Approved (No Interview)!

[2015-10-07] Greencard Mailed

[2015-10-09] Approval Notice Recieved

[2015-10-09] Greencard Recieved!

I used RapidVisa for my petition; a paperwork service. A K1 is $375.00 to use their hassle-free online application system.

Useful Links:
Igor's List | Advanced Search Tool | Q&A With a Former USCIS Adjudicator
Visa Status Checker (Once you get a Case # from NVC) | Offical USCIS Reasons for a K1 Denial

The advice offered by this user is not legal advice. You should contact an attorney to obtain legal advice.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Colombia is not a difficult embassy. Since you only went there once, I would recommend going there again and also for her interview...yes you can attend the interview with her. It will impress the CO to see you there and that you are supporting your fiancée. In the meantime, keep collecting evidence of your relationship so that you can take it with you to the interview. 9 months total of knowing each other is not really a red flag.

You already met her once, so just start the process now. You can go visit her while you are still waiting on your NOA2.

I feel that it is a bit of BS that some consulates allow the fiance to be present and others don't. Is there any hypothesis as to why?

K1 Visa Event Date Service Center : Texas Service Center Transferred? No Consulate : Juarez, Mexico

I-129F: Sent 9/5/2014

I-129F: Arrived at Lewisville 9/8/2014

I-129F: NOA1 Text message/mail 9/11/2014

I-129F: Alien Registration Number Changed 9/16/2014

I-129F: Request to correct on document or notice assigned to an officer for response 10/25/2014

I-129F: Name Change request made 10/31/2014

I-129F: Crickets as of today

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

thanks guys.... i can't imagine all the crazy feelings collectively on this site navigating this...I just started and my head swirls.... i don't know why they make it so hard....

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

[voice of caution]

Amen !

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi John! This is what I heard from my lawyer in my personal experience, we needed to literally scramble all that we can get together to make sure they know that we haven been dating for 2 years. My lawyer told me that, although there are cases who have been approved and been dating a shorter time than my fiancé and I have, the longer you know each other before filing the i-129f, the better. The main reason I would suggest meeting her at least one more time before filing your i-129f is so that you can have more evidence because I'm fairly certain you might not have as much evidence as you need. A few pictures a two months worth of chat logs aren't that much compared to other people. What you do after you file the i-129f is good as well, but its not as substantial as what you file before. When your information passes through to NOA1, you'll get an approval because you haven't made any mistakes on filing your papers. When you get an approval to NOA2 it'll be because you've meet the requirements of having chat logs, having pictures, and meeting. At that point between NOA2 and NVC is when the initial decision is made, it'll be too late to send any extra evidence that you have to prove them otherwise. The packet will be shipped to the consular in her embassy and he will read what they have to say and base his decision off of that. IF their decision is not in your favor than you would have aimlessly spent all that time/money for nothing. Thats why I suggest doing all you can do before filing your papers.

(L) Meike & Alex (L)

2nbu1cx.jpg

Got engaged :wub:(August 29th, 2014)

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Click Spoiler to show i-129F K-1 Visa application processes

hgOf2QL.png?1

--------------------------------------------------------------------
November 16th - Applied for SS Card
November 16th - Got marriage certificate

November 20th - Married!!! <3
December 9th - AOS package sent

December 18th - NOA's received for all three!!

December 21st - NOA1 hard copy in the mail

Dec 30th - Bio-metrics letter in the mail

Jan 12th, 2016 - Bio-metrics completed!!

Jan 15th - RFIEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feb 23rd - RFIE response mailed back
Feb 26th - RFIE response received
March 8th - EAD/AP APPROVEDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!! (On my birthday too~)

March 16th - Card received in the mail~
May 17th - GREEN CARD APPROVED!!!! NO INTERVIEW NEEDED

May 23rd - NOA approval in the mail

May 25th - Green card in HAAAAAAAAAAAAAND

Future ROC filing date: Feb 16th, 2018

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

To the OP:

None of these are red flags. Someone in a post asked if she has children because that's a red flag, that one was just funny. Probably 90% of people here gets a visa for someone who has kids, been married before for both sides, makes barely any money to support him or herself and so on. I red a post the other day about someone who did two K1 visas and the third one was a marriage and all 3 got approved so no, no red flags just get lots of evidence and you will be ok.

While you are there as you mentioned have her sign the G-325A but also get a passport picture of her(GLOSSY and NOT MATTE) and have her sign a Intent to Marry.

I wish you luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.