JoelyLeidy

Time to know each other

41 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I have a question concerning this whole K-1 Visa process. We will have known each other for about 2 ½ months, and met once. We talk every day, and I am documenting all conversations since August 30,(we met in person between the 15th and the 20 of August). We are very good about making sure we talk about plans for our future etc, with purpose, though we did that in Bogota, in chat. The reason I bring this up, is I noticed, on the time lines, that from NOA 1 to Embassy approval, for Bogota, is about 6 months, which I didn't know it would be that fast! That will give us about 9 months total of knowing each other..Do they question, or has anybody had any issues with only knowing each other a couple of months before filing? is this a big issue for them, or a red flag?

28 years, from one of the OP's other topics. That, combined with getting married after knowing each other for only a very short amount of time, are two significant red flags that you may need to overcome.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

A short courtship, combined with only one meeting in person, is a red flag.

But it can be overcome with lots of other bonafide evidence- meeting once more, and maybe being there for the interview (3rd visit) would help.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Finland
Timeline

I would say you have a couple of red flags.

1. Age difference. Now, that can easily be solved with with a rock-solid bonafide proof!

There comes the second. You have literally met her last months, for FIVE days! Snapshots of your chats mean very little, as it is not relevant enough. Marriage is a serious thing, and going for the petition after 5 days spent together is a little bit suspicious.

You should meet her at least once more, for MORE than 5 days!

My fiancé and I were also together for 5 days, the first time, but then we got together again for 21 days, and after that a whole month, before we filed a petition. And after we filed, we met for 17 days, and in October he is coming to my country for 11 days. Now, I understand not a lot of people have the possibility of seeing each other that often, but you need to see her, for lets say, 2 weeks again, before you file for the petition. There has to be some sort of consistency, especially when you already have a red flag (a huge age difference).

When you meet her again, make sure you go to as many places as you can, and save all the evidence; tickets, receipts... We even sent business cards from the restaurants we went to, and tram tickets from Amsterdam (hired a lawyer, and she was very much into details). So save everything! There is the proof right there, doing activities together.

Get to know each other as much as you can. You should do this, not just for the petition, but for yourself. Meet each other's families, and take pictures. She will probably be asked if her family approves of your relationship.

How is her english?

I am sure your relationship is genuine, and that you are in love, but having a red flag demands you prepare the best you can for the process, especially the interview.

Best of luck! : )

Timeline

thank you.. i am going again in a couple of months, to meet family and be with her..... So better to do that before filing the petition? I had her sign the G325A alreadyI just won't have her date it....Then go again to see her.. I wanted to go one more time before the interview just to meet her family and know her life better....So that is a better tact to take?

Thanks for the imput.. She is enrolled in the english classes....and it improved more each day....

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I have a question concerning this whole K-1 Visa process. We will have known each other for about 2 ½ months, and met once. We talk every day, and I am documenting all conversations since August 30,(we met in person between the 15th and the 20 of August). We are very good about making sure we talk about plans for our future etc, with purpose, though we did that in Bogota, in chat. The reason I bring this up, is I noticed, on the time lines, that from NOA 1 to Embassy approval, for Bogota, is about 6 months, which I didn't know it would be that fast! That will give us about 9 months total of knowing each other..Do they question, or has anybody had any issues with only knowing each other a couple of months before filing? is this a big issue for them, or a red flag?

We had a similar timeline, less age difference and we were approved. You need to prove you met in person within two years of filing the 129f and then must prove you have a legitimate relationship at the interview.

I suggest you purposefully generate all kinds of evidences that, when looked as a whole, will prove to a complete stranger, the Embassy CO, that you have a legitimate relationship.

Virtually all relationships go through a normal evolution. Your evidences should bear that evolution out.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Colombia is not a difficult embassy. Since you only went there once, I would recommend going there again and also for her interview...yes you can attend the interview with her. It will impress the CO to see you there and that you are supporting your fiancée. In the meantime, keep collecting evidence of your relationship so that you can take it with you to the interview. 9 months total of knowing each other is not really a red flag.

thank you.. i am going again in a couple of months, to meet family and be with her..... So better to do that before filing the petition? I had her sign the G325A alreadyI just won't have her date it....Then go again to see her.. I wanted to go one more time before the interview just to meet her family and know her life better....So that is a better tact to take?

Thanks for the imput.. She is enrolled in the english classes....and it improved more each day....

You already met her once, so just start the process now. You can go visit her while you are still waiting on your NOA2.

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Timeline

I WANT to go visit two more times after the I-129F is filed just to expedite the situation, But does the CO officer really care if those two visits are AFTER or before the petition is filed? It seems like it wouldn't matter as long as we were working on our relationship and toward marriage?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Finland
Timeline

You have already met her once, which is, technically enough for filing the petition. Since, judging by what you said, it takes about 6 months to get the Second notice of action, you CAN file it now, and there is a HUGE chance USCIS will approve.

The issue is the interview. They are harder to convince. So, within that time you wait for the NOA2, lets say it's 6 months, meet at least 2 times, document all the activities, meeting the family, so she can have enough bonafide proof. If you do that, there should be no problem whatsoever.

So yes, you can file the petition now, you just need a lot more evidence for the interview.

I WANT to go visit two more times after the I-129F is filed just to expedite the situation, But does the CO officer really care if those two visits are AFTER or before the petition is filed? It seems like it wouldn't matter as long as we were working on our relationship and toward marriage?

Doesn't matter.

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

No, it is up to you and your partner to progress things at a pace that is right for both of you. It is only a red flag if you can't demonstrate that your relationship is sincere.

K-1 Visa

**AOS**

09/03/2014 AOS packet (I-485, I-765, I-131) delivered to Chicago lockbox

09/08/2014 NOA1 received for AOS, EAD, AP

10/01/2014 Biometrics

11/04/2014 I-485: Status changed to Testing and Interview

11/12/2014 EAD & AP Approved, combo card in production

11/22/2014 EAD/AP Combo card received

02/04/2015 AOS Interview - approved! Card in production

02/12/2015 Card received!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

It depends on the embassy. I attended the interview with my wife (then fiancee) and the CO commented that it was good that I was there showing how important our relationship was but said it really wasn't necessary. However, my wife really appreciated that I was there with her!

However, as there are no absolute answers, it is good to do as much as you can.

I say visit as much as you can as you get to be with the one you love :)

K-1 Visa

**AOS**

09/03/2014 AOS packet (I-485, I-765, I-131) delivered to Chicago lockbox

09/08/2014 NOA1 received for AOS, EAD, AP

10/01/2014 Biometrics

11/04/2014 I-485: Status changed to Testing and Interview

11/12/2014 EAD & AP Approved, combo card in production

11/22/2014 EAD/AP Combo card received

02/04/2015 AOS Interview - approved! Card in production

02/12/2015 Card received!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.