QM&TD

Forgot to include evidence of bona fide marriage in i-130 package

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and would like to say hi to you all at first. I have a question regarding evidence of bona fide marriage for i-130 application. I am a USC and my wife is from vietnam. I sent out the I-130 package to TSC last month without evidence of our bona fide marriage. I had only included the following items:

- a copy of my US passport (only the page has my photo, not included all pages)

- signed form i-130

- signed form G-325A for both of us.

- a copy of our marriage certificate along with its translation.

- 5 passport photos for each of us

So I'm wondering if I need to send more photos that we have taken together and wedding photos now. I have read on some other topics and realized that many of you guys mentioned to include evidence of bina fide marriage likes skype screenshot, photo of the couple, ... etc. and if i need to, would it slow down the process of my i-130 application? anyone can help me clarify this?

Thanks so much!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

Hi there

well we included tons of evidence showing we are married and we also sent the docx this sept to USCIS.

As you have already sent, well from my POV i would say wait. If you get RFE then send them other supporting docx of evidence. As far as i understood, there is no any such set of rules how much and what all you need to send. The marriage certificate should do the job.

Note : This is just an advise. I am not any attorney. I am also new into visa process. May be some other older folks with better knowledge will help you with concrete reply.

Good luck

You can't really do anything until you receive an RFE. Some people have managed to get approved with little or no evidence. A cousin of mine was able to get approved without any evidence submitted, which I found very odd. Of course, it may be because they already had 2 years married by the time the petition was adjudicated.

The instructions do point out that you need to include proof of the bona fide relationship. It's more than likely that you will receive an RFE though, especially if you have been married for less than 2 years.

Therefore, you need to start gathering evidence now so that you can submit it right away if you get an RFE. Now in the off chance that you don't get an RFE and your petition is approved, you will definitely need this proof at the visa interview.

Also keep in mind that receiving an RFE, responding to it, and having the new evidence reviewed can add some time to your wait. I'm not sure how long they typically take to review RFE's, but I have seen about 3 months in other threads and timelines in addition to the normal processing time.

Edited by Ian H.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Yes, you will likely receive a RFE. I would start preparing more evidence, and please read all instructions thoroughly.

11/06: Husband EWI from Mexico
11/08: Started dating

11/11: Husband got deported
1/11/14: Got married
3/13/14-11/2/14:
I-130
1/26/15-3/17/15: NVC

5/28/15: INTERVIEW - denied

6/8/15: I-601/I-212 waivers received

11/17/15: I-601/I-212 waivers APPROVED

12/11/15: HUBBY HOME!! :dance:

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and would like to say hi to you all at first. I have a question regarding evidence of bona fide marriage for i-130 application. I am a USC and my wife is from vietnam. I sent out the I-130 package to TSC last month without evidence of our bona fide marriage. I had only included the following items:

- a copy of my US passport (only the page has my photo, not included all pages)

- signed form i-130

- signed form G-325A for both of us.

- a copy of our marriage certificate along with its translation.

- 5 passport photos for each of us

So I'm wondering if I need to send more photos that we have taken together and wedding photos now. I have read on some other topics and realized that many of you guys mentioned to include evidence of bina fide marriage likes skype screenshot, photo of the couple, ... etc. and if i need to, would it slow down the process of my i-130 application? anyone can help me clarify this?

Thanks so much!!!

To get the semantics out of the way first, an I-130 is a petition form, not an application form.

What you have sent is the minimum amount to meet the requirements. You may or may not receive an RFE asking for additional evidence. Sending anything unsolicited at this point will likely be nothing more than an exercise in futility as it is unlikely the items you send would be matched with the file. If you receive an RFE, you can submit your additional evidence then. If you don't, then you will have an opportunity to include extra evidence with the IV package when you are dealing with the NVC.

Edited by Ryan H

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Also we had only been married 3 weeks when I filed the petition. Your marriage certificate is proof of a relationship especially in Vietnam. It took me months to get that certificate. Again don't worry about it unless an RFE is received.

I did send 4 photos at the NVC stage on printer paper with hand written comments.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

At some point in time, interview, NVC, etc..,.,.,.you will surely have to add a lot of evidence as positive proof, of marriage.

Pictures, boarding passes, receipts from her county.,.,.,pictures with her family.,.,.,.just read the guide on this site, "it tells you exactly" what to prepare for.

• 2 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Mine is the same and I used an online company to help with the forms!!! When I looked things over after the petition was put in I realized and called the company. They swore up and down nothing else would be needed. I'm waiting for my RFE :(

Mine is the same and I used an online company to help with the forms!!! When I looked things over after the petition was put in I realized and called the company. They swore up and down nothing else would be needed. I'm waiting for my RFE :(

You may not even be asked for more since you're from Canada, however I'd send marriage evidence with the IV package if you aren't.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.