genesis1968

w7 form and a letter??

30 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
So is the tax return filed at the same time as the W7, or is the tax return filed after you get the W7 approved?

I believe normally filed at the same time but I read another thread somewhere here on VJ about going directly to a local IRS office and getting the W7 processed for the ITIN number. Keep in mind the taxes have to be sent to a special address. I think this is it (according to the instructions in an online W7 form I found):

Internal Revenue Service

Philadelphia Service Center

ITIN Unit

P.O. Box 447

Bensalem, PA 19020

Married on 11/21/06 in her hometown city Tumauini located in the Isabela province (Republic of the Philippines)

I-129 Timeline

12/12/06 - Mailed I-129 package to Chicago Service Center

12/14/06 - Received by Chicago Service Center

12/18/06 - NOA1 notice date from Missouri (NBC)

12/21/06 - NOA1 received in mail

12/27, 12/29, 12/31 - Touches

01/06/07 - Transfered to California Service Center

01/11/07 - Arrived at California Service Center

1/12, 1/16, 1/17, 2/6 - Touches

02/06/07 - NOA2 from California Service Center

02/11/07 - Received NOA2 in mail

02/15/07 - Arrived at the NVC - MNL case # assigned

02/20/07 - Sent to US Embassy in Manila

02/26/07 - Received at Embassy

03/30/07 - Packet 4 received

05/09/07 - Medical scheduled (did early)

05/16/07 - Interview

05/23/07 - Visa Delivered

05/25/07 - POE in Newark, NJ

I-130 Timeline

11/27/06 - Mailed I-130 package to Texas Service Center

11/29/06 - Package received by Texas Service Center

12/06/06 - NOA1 notice date from California Service Center

12/09/06 - Touch

12/11/06 - NOA1 received in mail

02/06/07 - NOA2 from California Service Center

02/11/07 - Received NOA2 in mail (I-130 held at CSC)

--------------------

Pinoy Info Forum - For the members of Asawa.org in diaspora

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

For 2005 I filed single status because my wife was not here to sign the W-7, and I didn't have much time to file. Later I submitted the W-7 with an amended return (she is still not here, she is waiting for her visa). She got the ITN and the IRS is processing my amended return as I write this.

Bob

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline
So is the tax return filed at the same time as the W7, or is the tax return filed after you get the W7 approved?

Here is a link. At the top of page three of the instructions it says to complete and attach the form to the return for which you will need it. http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw7.pdf

t

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
mchina34,

To be precise, the W-7 is filed at the same time as - and with - the tax return.

Yodrak

To be even more precise, many Taxpayer Assistance Centers (TAC) will process W-7's (Taxpayer Identification Numbers) as well.

YMMV

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
mchina34,

To be precise, the W-7 is filed at the same time as - and with - the tax return.

Yodrak

To be even more precise, many Taxpayer Assistance Centers (TAC) will process W-7's (Taxpayer Identification Numbers) as well.

Actually they will take your application but will forward to the IRS. They do not process them in their office.

Anna (Chicago) and Javon (Jamaica)

USCIS: I-130 Process

10/30/06 - Married to my loving husband

01/06/07 - NOA1 ($190)

05/16/07 - NOA2!!!!!

NVC: CR-1 Process

05/21/07 - NVC recv'd case (per rep @ NVC)

05/29/07 - NVC Assigned Case # (KNG2007******)

06/01/07 - Faxed change of address request to NVC

06/08/07 - NVC confirmed new address

06/18/07 - DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) & AOS (I-864) Fee Bill generated

06/23/07 - Recv'd DS-3032 & AOS Bill via snail mail

07/09/07 - Emailed DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) to NVC

07/19/07 - Mailed AOS Fee Bill ($70) to St. Louis, MO

07/19/07 - Recv'd email from NVC - Choice of Agent was accepted

07/23/07 - IV (DS-230) Fee Bill was generated

08/11/07 - Recv'd IV Fee Bill via snail mail

08/15/07 - Recv'd AOS Packet in the mail

.png

.png

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
I'm planning to use the W7 form to get my wife a ITIN and file as married joint. Unfortunately, she is a Filipina who worked for a US based company (cruise industry) and they provided zero documentation on her yearly earnings. Because she is a Filipina working overseas she paid no tax whatsoever. As I understand it (read in a thread like this) she could earn ~$80K USD without my having to claim it but I can't prove what she earned.

I never heard anything about having to provide her ID (actual license, passport, etc). She doesn't even have a license and she needs her passport there. I'm planning to get her passport in our married name certified/notarized and having her send me a copy of that document.

The other option is to file as single. I know people dispute that option but I've been told by someone who knows both Philippine/US immigration and US tax law and they said it's perfectly legal. Another VJ member spoke to tax accountants and they confirmed this is true. As always, take that for what it's worth.

You do not need to prove what she earned... you just need to report it...

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Just my 2cents...

Per W-7 Instructions: “…..Your original, completed tax return(s) for which the ITIN is needed. Attach Form W-7 to the front of your tax return. After your Form W-7 has been processed, the IRS will assign an ITIN to the return and process the return….”

From my understanding, this whole process can take up 12 weeks, which means you will not get your Tax return receipt/refund from the IRS for about 3 months. This will not work out for those petitioners who have their cases approved and needs to send tax documents to their fiance/spouse ASAP. What do you guys think?

I-130

10/31/06 : Mailed to TSC

11/01/06 : Rcvd by TSC

11/06/06 : NOA1/Sent to CSC

11/09/06 : Touched

11/16/06 : NOA1 Rcvd

02/02/07 : Touched and Approval Notice Sent via 3 emails

02/09/07 : Rcvd NOA 2 via snail mail

I-129f

11/17/06 : Mailed to Chicago

11/19/06 : Rcvd by Chicago

11/24/06 : NOA1

11/27/06 : NOA Rcvd

11/30/06 : Transferred to CSC

12/06/06 : Rcvd by CSC & Pending

12/07/06 : Touched

02/01/07 : Touched and Approval Notice Sent via 1 email

02/02/07 : Touched

02/09/07 : Rcvd NOA 2 via snail mail

03/01/07 : Rcvd Packet 4 from Chennai embassy

03/22/07 : K3 Interview date

03/29/07 : Rcvd Visa & Passport via courier

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Just my 2cents...

Per W-7 Instructions: “…..Your original, completed tax return(s) for which the ITIN is needed. Attach Form W-7 to the front of your tax return. After your Form W-7 has been processed, the IRS will assign an ITIN to the return and process the return….”

From my understanding, this whole process can take up 12 weeks, which means you will not get your Tax return receipt/refund from the IRS for about 3 months. This will not work out for those petitioners who have their cases approved and needs to send tax documents to their fiance/spouse ASAP. What do you guys think?

I filed for the W7 last year (with our return) at one of the IRS's tax assistance centers, and I got my ITIN within a couple of weeks, and our refund a few weeks later. Definately not 12 weeks.. Closer to a month really... Of course I filed early february, so definately get it out ASAP, before the big rush so they can get it back to you quicker..

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi! I did the W7 for my husband. First of all, I would say don't send it in-- take it in. The IRS doesn't like notorized copies of your stuff. They DO like to see the actual ID. I had to get my husband to send me his driver's license and his national ID Dhl so the little old IRS ladies could see it. And believe me, this made a HUGE difference. You have to submit the W7 with your taxes. they told me they like to deny the ones that come on their own. They also like to just deny ones whom they don't speak to. So I had a tax company do my taxes to make SURE they were right. then I filled out the W7 and brought his IDs. You weill also need a statement similar to the W2 for her earnings.. in my case it was this statement of earnings from my husband's university. You also need to write that letter... the letter instructions are actually in the paper W7. I don't remember what I wrote beyond somehting to the effect of us being married and him being a non-resident alien and me wanting to add him to my taxes.. something like that. My advice is to go down and actually get the form with the booklet. I filed directly with my teeny weeny IRS office in the federal building in March (like March 20-something) and received his approval in early May.

Your info is wrong. I dont know who is advising you but mailing in your taxes (including the W 7) is fine. I've done it with NO problems. My husband had his passport notorized at the consulate.

No letter was needed. All on has to do is follow the directions given listed wit the W 7. It is quite simple.

chi

098bdb652297eb8af8222ef77903ebf5.gif

.png

Married in 04

"Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect. It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections."

chiqa.jpg

Filed: Country: Jordan
Timeline

Must you have an ITIN to file either way?

will a copy of the noterized paperwork work?

wendy

Get yourself a new accountant! I am CPA with a PhD in accounting and teach taxation. My husband is British and has not yet lived in the US. Your 2 filing choices are married filing separately or married filing joint (caveat if you have dependents you might be able to file Head of Household). And you are correct that you need a US SSN or ITIN. The difference between married-joint and married-separate is whether you want to include wife's income. You cannot file single if you are legally married ... aren't you going to have to use this tax return for the embassy interview?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

As I mentioned in another thread....If you (nobody in particular..) haven't already done an AOS interview, you might want to reconsider filing single when in fact you are married. Our interviewer checked two things on our previous years returns....the amount of income and filing status. When I mentioned we had filed separately she did distinctly say "That's ok as long as you both filed married and listed each other as spouse." As Yodrak (I think) pointed out, you are trying to adjust your partner on the basis of marriage. Filing as single on Federal paperwork might not be wise........

AOS

05/26/05: Sent I-485/I-130 & I-765 to Chicago lockbox.

05/27/05: Paperwork received by Douglas!

06/17/05: Check hit bank account.

06/20/05: All 3 NOA's rec'vd! TG!

08/02/05: Biometrics , New Orleans. Pretty uneventful.

08/09/05: EAD Approved!

07/12/06: ......still.........waiting.........

09/26/06: Case Status says interview has been canceled............What interview????

10/23/06: Interview finally scheduled for 12/14/06.

12/14/06: AOS approval pending renewal of Biometrics....Waiting on appt. for ASC!

Will this ever end????

01/17/07: Biometrics scheduled.

02/03/07: Everything complete at our end! Apparently my case file is under somebodys wobbly table leg.

02/27/07: Approval notice finally received by e-mail.....only 641 days!! 1 yr 9 mths!

My little angel, Rachel Erin...born 02/15/07

IM000979.jpg

Timeline
Must you have an ITIN to file either way?

will a copy of the noterized paperwork work?

wendy

If you don't have an ITIN you will have to file married jointly and pay dearly as you can not claim your spouses allowances. You can go ahead and file anyway and amend later once you get the ITIN, but like I said...it will cost you right now.

Not sure about the notarized paperwork though! Sorry.

Edited: Can't figure out quotes......retarded, LOL!

Edited by Irisheyes

AOS

09/26/06: Case Status says interview has been canceled............What interview????

12/14/06: AOS approval pending renewal of Biometrics....Waiting on appt. for ASC!

Will this ever end????

02/03/07: Everything complete at our end! Apparently my case file is under somebodys wobbly table leg.

02/27/07: Approval notice finally received by e-mail.....only 641 days!! 1 yr 9 mths!

IM000979.jpg

Timeline

My Gawd.....I give up. Last post should read married filing separately.

AOS

Will this ever end????

IM000979.jpg