Jacque67

James Wright Foley executed -RIP

126 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Why do people join a cult or Scientology or drape themselves up in purple cloth and commit suicide when a comet comes by? A person at a vulnerable point is given something they need (belonging to a group, friendship, power, etc) and they are drawn in.

Edited by OnMyWayID

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect

I think that's the teachings of all religions.

Should loyalty to religion > loyalty to your own country?

I am not into teachings of religions, so I should considered as free thinker.

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

I think that saying that this problem is because of individual faulty personalities diminishes the very real issue that there are institutional forces in Islam that encourage violence and distort the religion, and not enough that provide an alternative. The violent imams and the terrorist recruitment networks have proven to be too powerful, and there seems to be relatively little resistance, accept very weak claims like "that's not islam." I think people ned to show it, not say it.

This is not to say that Islam is inherently bad, of course it is not, but it is currently being messed with in a powerful way and there are not enough persuasive voices providing an alternative. Instead, people are happy to conclude that everything is great in their country and these people joined because they are crazy.

I say BS.

What religion doesn't preach helping their religious brothers and sisters?

Christianity, for one. No one is going to argue that christians should go help murderers just because they are fellow christians.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

No one is going to argue that christians should go help murderers just because they are fellow christians.

ironically enough, jesus would've. and he wouldn't have even stipulated 'fellow christians'.

Christianity, for one. No one is going to argue that christians should go help murderers just because they are fellow christians.

Where did I say any religion tells it's followers to help misled worshippers commit wrongs and murder? And aren't there instances in the Bible where wars were carried out in the name of God?

Where did I say any religion tells it's followers to help misled worshippers commit wrongs and murder? And aren't there instances in the Bible where wars were carried out in the name of God?

Christianity is not a tribal religion and helping others is not restricted to people in your religion. Nor is helping other christians encouraged more than helping anyone else.

There is no sense of "christian" brothers and sisters in that religion. I take it you are muslim and think that this "brothers and sisters" thing is in all religions, but it is not.

The Bible tells stories from thousands of years ago. Most people think that humanity has evolved beyond that, and take those stories and their messages as symbolic, not literal.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Christianity is not a tribal religion and helping others is not restricted to people in your religion. Nor is helping other christians encouraged more than helping anyone else.

There is no sense of "christian" brothers and sisters in that religion. I take it you are muslim and think that this "brothers and sisters" thing is in all religions, but it is not.

The Bible tells stories from thousands of years ago. Most people think that humanity has evolved beyond that, and take those stories and their messages as symbolic, not literal.

You are very, very assuming. Merry asked if these First World country nationals are turning to Isis because of what is in the Qur'an and the answer could be Yes. If the British guy heard on the tape shares the same ideology as those in Isis and this British person can find scriptures that support what he wants to do then yes he will leave England and join Isis in Iraq.

And if there isn't this brotherhood and sisterhood in Christianity, why is it that I don't see many if any Christian groups going out there to garner donations specifically for Muslims, Sikhs, Buddhists etc groups that need help?

Edited by aaydrian

yep. he'd say "take off your door and use it to build a house for someone who needs it" or something similarly righteous.

He certainly would. He taught to help those in need. So few actually follow what he taught. So simple, yet so hard to do. A brilliant concept regardless of what you believe spiritually.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015