Jacque67

James Wright Foley executed -RIP

126 posts in this topic

That was not the current debate but lets deflect anyway: I answered that question my first post - A person in a vulnerable time in their lives can be influenced by fulfilling something they are missing in their life such as companionship, friends, love, a feeling of belonging, etc, etc. When the sample population is in the many millions most possible scenarios are going to be realized.

Back on the religion thing:

Most people can agree that Christianity and the catholic church were just short of evil in the middle ages. They tortured people and burned them and enforced obedience - scientists had to hide discoveries out of fear. This is said over and over again in these forums and nobody argues the point.. Has anyone ever felt the need to then say "But not all Catholics back then were bad people and not all in the church supported that" ????

Edit: I want to add I'm not trying to make direct comparison to religions in the middle ages. The "evil" came into mostly complete control there.

I noticed how you left out the part about raping and molesting kids world wide and how many people around the world are trying to make the Pope and the Church take responsibility for the actions of their priest. And this is not the medieval but current time.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2730336/Find-British-butcher-mask-Jihadi-filmed-beheading-American-journalist-identified-John-Londoner-gang-UK-extremists-known-The-Beatles.html

In another bizarre twist the person believed to have carried out the attack is known as "John" and a member of an extremist group calling themselves The Beatles.

Whats the deflection? I'm generally interested to know why people single out religion in relation to groups like this. Its certainly a key part of the ideology, but i think theres a tendency to focus on that to the exclusion of everything else.

I get how lonely desperate people can look for companionship in weird ways, but a cult that brainwashes people in sawing off someone's head with a knife!? I don't buy it, I think a person who does that would have started out insane or psychotic.

On religion - I think most people wouldn't argue that point about the Catholic church because most have a cursory understandimg of history sufficient to know that the middle ages were generally quite violent and repressive time to be a part of. Also its common knowledge that major religions were tied directly to the ruling classes. What do you think the crusades, the english civil war and the reformation were all about? We make distinctions about religions in the present day because we live in the present day and we have first hand knowledge.

Incidentally, what people rarely talk about is that the Islamic civilisation in Persia during the middle ages was culturally and intellectually significantly more developed than the kingdoms of europe.

Well, it might be The Beatles fault?? Edited by Jacque67

There is no requirement for a muslim to approve of, ascribe to or support terrorism. The vast majority of muslims do not. You can find out more about the geopolitical issues or you can continue to paint the muslim religion as inherently evil, which is pretty pointless and unhelpful.

Hi There!

Welcome to Current Events and Hot Topics where you are allowed to be a bigoted, racist moron who can hide behind your computer and be accepted here on VJ. :thumbs:

Warning! Warning! Please do not ask or expect common sense, reasonable ideology or remotely humane thoughts in this section of VJ. If you are not interested in finding out just how sick some people are, please, leave this section of VJ.

You have been warned. Now you may continue watching the movie for it's intended, targeted audience. Please show proof you are at least 18 years old. This section may not be appropriate for underage children.

Thank You

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2730336/Find-British-butcher-mask-Jihadi-filmed-beheading-American-journalist-identified-John-Londoner-gang-UK-extremists-known-The-Beatles.html

In another bizarre twist the person believed to have carried out the attack is known as "John" and a member of an extremist group calling themselves The Beatles.

Well, it might be The Beatles fault??

The language used by some of the other UK jihadis is quite interesting. Lots of textisms and youth speak. The guy who beheaded the journalist sounded educated, the others sound like inner city high school drop outs.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2730405/STEPHEN-GLOVER-Murder-smartphone-terrorists-insidious-dangerous-new-weapon.html

This is an interesting article about censorship.

Today many terrorist organisations are using social media to propagate their ideas/ film executions.

On twitter there is a move to ban all ISIS tweets. I can't remember offhand what it is #ban?...

Just where in Hades did ISIS come from . Seems like they just sprung onto the scene.

The only ISIS i ever heard of was my favorite TV show from my whipsnaper days .

Isis3.JPG

Hi There!

Welcome to Current Events and Hot Topics where you are allowed to be a bigoted, racist moron who can hide behind your computer and be accepted here on VJ. :thumbs:

Warning! Warning! Please do not ask or expect common sense, reasonable ideology or remotely humane thoughts in this section of VJ. If you are not interested in finding out just how sick some people are, please, leave this section of VJ.

You have been warned. Now you may continue watching the movie for it's intended, targeted audience. Please show proof you are at least 18 years old. This section may not be appropriate for underage children.

Thank You

Fixed

Hi There!

Welcome to Current Events and Hot Topics where you are I am allowed to be a bigoted, racist moron who can hide behind your computer and be accepted here on VJ. [:thumbs:]

Thank You

Filed: Other Timeline

We can certainly recognise the ideology they share, which is heavily influenced by extreme religious philosophy and dressed im the trappings of religion.

But so what?

How does this help to explain how young men from London end up cutting off the head of an American journalist in a country that isn't their own?

I think the poster is rightly concerned about people using events like this to justify prejudice against Muslims in general. While it hasn't happened in this thread, its not hard to find a fair few others on VJ where that is the case.

Pretty much. I also do not think that you can find a solution to this problem if you assume that this version of islam is main stream amongst muslims, it simply isn't. While the religious fervour is tapped into by extremists, the main tug is through identification with heritage (specific local heritage) and tribal identity. It's very much Nationalism and self determination that seems to drive these people. If you get a group of people who have been economically ravaged by an imperialist power, you are going to eventually get push back on that. The leadership are going to use any and all vehicles to empahsise how the culture is different to the 'imperialist oppressor' in order to form a cohesive force to push the 'invader' out. This can have a powerful appeal to expats who empathise with the idea that this is a homeland that needs to be taken back. That's by no means a new or unusual ideological stance and is not limited to those who self proclaim as muslim militants.

Just where in Hades did ISIS come from . Seems like they just sprung onto the scene.

Isis3.JPG

Fixed

Hi There!

Welcome to Current Events and Hot Topics where you are I am allowed to be a bigoted, racist moron who can hide behind your computer and be accepted here on VJ. [ :thumbs:]

Thank You

Glad you are finally realizing the truth about yourself.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

They've been around since 2003. They spawned out of al Qaeda and claim religious authority over all muslims. They are estimated to be about 80,000 strong.

They did a lot of heavy hitting in Syria and were major players in the Iraqi insurgency. They like to jump in their black pajamas and cut the heads off of infidels on camera. They were the ones who did Nick Berg in retaliation for Abu Ghraib, al-Zarqawi was the blade man on that job. This was when the were called al Qaeda in Iraq.

We had their current grand poobah Abu-Dua in custody in 2004 and let him go. The state department currently has a $10m price tag on his head. Lot's of folks out there looking for him.

They basically hate anyone who ain't them.

Fixed

Hi There!

Welcome to Current Events and Hot Topics where you are I am allowed to be a bigoted, racist moron who can hide behind your computer and be accepted here on VJ. [:thumbs:]

Thank You

Glad you are finally realizing the truth about yourself.

:rofl: Edited by aaydrian

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I noticed how you left out the part about raping and molesting kids world wide and how many people around the world are trying to make the Pope and the Church take responsibility for the actions of their priest. And this is not the medieval but current time.

I did, I sat on that information hoping nobody would think about it. You caught me.

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

some more shilling for the catholic church to keep Janelle's conspiracy theory hopes alive...

Islamic State video shows conversion of Yazidis to Islam

"Men, women and children have converted and I was with them and they are happy with their conversions," he says, adding: "We advise the Yazidis to come down from the mountain and convert."

"Right now you are infidels. After this you will become Muslims and you will have rights," an Islamic State fighter tells them. "Repeat after me..."

http://news.yahoo.com/islamic-state-video-shows-conversion-yazidis-islam-222013045.html

Edited by OnMyWayID

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect

It's ok our Preznit released the details of a highly classified mission, that gave the enemy intel, to make it look like he was doing something and went off to play some golf . It's all good now

If the WBC was in charge of more nations, it would be.

Calling the WBC members christians is akin to saying all muslims kill for jihad. Wanna go there?