staceydinesh

How did you meet your fiance?

52 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I had originally used Match, eHarmony, and Chemistry. After sending out 100 nods, winks, or whatever I got back 1 Russian scammer who was banned after a few days and one condescending ***** who said “well, I don’t normally give guys like you a chance (my dark skin I guess), but I’ll give you a chance.” I did not respond back to that.

I ended up using a co-worker recommended Chinese site where I eventually met my wife. She had great photos and there was something there that I liked, great smile, fun loving. Later we met in person and I could just gobble her up. I knew I hit the jack pot.

Not to go off subject, but I can relate. I seriously thought something was wrong with me going on those sites...just my opinion, but I found it hard to "hook up". At first I thought it was easy (according to the commercials haha), but little did I know that this is gonna take some work. It was almost trying to apply for a job and trying to stand out among 100's of other guys. After about 6 mos of trying and a few dollars short, I decided to try international and lo and behold, its like I died and went to heaven, haha. Granted there is scammers and what not there too, but when I met my fiancee, I too, felt I "hit the jackpot!"

You have inspired me with your story and congrats on your 5 yr anniversary!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

After a really bad breakup (divorce) that left me broke and broken hearted with a 4 month old baby, I tried without success to establish a relationship, in my country (mexico) if you are divorced or a single mom, guys look at you just as an easy flesh, but not wife material... So after almost 3 years of being alone I signed up in this website Plenty of Fish (Pof) and met my now husband, in may, and after just a couple of months I packed my stuff and went to meet him in Austin, TX. I was scared and nervous, but after that first kiss at the airport everything went natural, weeks went by so fast, and then it came the time to.go back home (after almost 3 months together lol) so then he wanted me to bring my daughter and my mom to meet him, we wanted to start a real relationship but I needed my mom's approval, and my daughter's too... Long story short he asked me to bring them because he was gonna propose, and a couple of weeks after my arrival he did!! We decided to get married on December first 2012, and I adjusted my status being here. ..

I had just filed for divorce from my wife of 21 years after dealing with her alcoholism for 15 years. I met my fiancée on an online dating site in Nov 2013. I had made contact with several ladies on my own and chatted with several of them. My fiancée's profile never actually showed up in my matches. It did on hers and she made the first contact. After reviewing seeing her message and reviewing her profile something just clicked inside and told me I needed to get to know her better. I started chatting with her every day usually morning and night. Within a couple days we had our first telephone conversation. We continued to talk pretty much anytime we were free. It was late January when we both realized we had something really great between us. Her job in Singapore made it a little difficult to try to schedule a time to meet I guess it was February when we knew she would have vacation in the summer and March when she decided she would stay in Singapore and not travel home to the Philippines. I immediately made arrangements for a trip the last week of June. While waiting for June to come we just continued chatting and talking several hours a day, becoming closer and closer. Finally it was time for my trip. After 24 hours traveling I finally saw her for real the first time at the airport. It was such a great feeling and I knew I had chosen wisely. We spent the entire week together. I proposed to her midweek at the Gardens By The Bay, at the Supertree Grove. Of course it was really hard to end that week. As soon as I arrived back in the states I completed the petition and had to get her to send me a few things that I hadn't even thought about while I was there. I filed about a week after returning from my trip so now we're just waiting. We probably won't see each other again until she has the visa. I had already scheduled a trip to Japan with my daughters at Christmas and she will be visiting her family at home in the Phils at Christmas. I think I really have found my soul mate. She is such a wonderful lady and I have hit my own jackpot like many others here. :dancing:

Michael S. Richardson, TX

09 July 2014: I-129F Sent USPS Express Mail

10 July 2014: I-129F USPS Delivery Confirmation

15 July 2014: I-129F NOA1, Alien Registration Number Changed

06 Aug 2014: I-129F Petition Approved!!!! Totally freaking unexpected, but one hell of a birthday present for ME!!!!!!!

08 Aug 2014: I-129F USCIS NOA2 Hardcopy received

11 Aug 2014: I-129F Notice that petition has been shipped to the Department of State

20 Aug 2014: SGP Case number assigned at NVC

22 Aug 2014: CEAC Status - In Transit

22 Aug 2014: CEAC Status - Ready

03 Sep 2014: Packet 3 Received

25 Nov 2014: Hong Kong finally sent the CNCC to the US Embassy in Singapore

28 Nov 2014: Mailed packet 3 checklist back to Embassy

01 Dec 2014: Checklist received by Embassy

03 Dec 2014: My fiancee completed her medical and vaccinations

05 Dec 2014: Packet 4 Received

23 Dec 2014: Interview, received request for additional documentation (Singapore Marriage Registry doc)

05 Jan 2015: VISA ISSUED!!!!!

06 Jan 2015: Visa Recieved

23 Feb 2015: POE Honolulu!!!!

11 Mar 2015: Wedding Day!!!!

16 Mar 2015: Applied for Social Security Card in married name

AOS

17 Mar 2015: Mailed (Express mail) AOS, EAD and AP package

18 Mar 2015: USPS delivery notification for AOS package

09 Apr 2015: Received e-notice of RFE

16 Apr 2015: Received mailed RFE letter (needed employment/income verification)

18 Apr 2015: Received Biometrics appt letter, scheduled for 28 Apr

20 Apr 2015: RFE response delivered

22 Apr 2015: Status changed to RFE Response received (decision or case update by June 21)

11 May 2015: EAD/AP Approval, Card being produced notification

15 May 2015: EAD/AP Card was mailed

16 May 2015: EAD/AP card delivered

25 May 2015: EAD/AP card in hand

22 June 2015: Notice of Potential Interview Waiver issued

02 Sep 2015: Notice of RFE 2 mailed

25 Sep 2015: Text/Email notice of approval, status update online

02 Oct 2015: Greencard received

Removal of Conditions

27 Jun 2017: Mailed I-751 package to California Service Center

I met my fiancé through my ex boyfriend. He and I were off/on 3 separate times. My ex had known Matt for over 8 years (they met in an online game and have been playing video games together as part of a faction). I had heard his screen name mentioned in conversation, but didn't know who this "Vizi" was. After the 3rd time I was with my ex (and after he nearly broke up with me during said time-dude was a jerk, I was stupid for dating him-he expected me to be perfect) anyway, he decided to play Minecraft with Matt and invited me into a gaming session. So, my first meeting was of a little pixilated man-thing lol. The three of us continued to play video games for the next few months and eventually played Grand Theft Auto V online and played using headsets so we could all actually talk.

Needless to say, my ex broke up with me again, in December 2013. I had 3 days to move my stuff out of the house (and it turns out he was cheating on me). The day I moved, I messaged Matt on facebook-just to tell him that I had enjoyed playing games with him over the previous 8 months and it was nice to meet him (I have no idea why I decided to do that, because I had met other friend's of my ex and I didn't contact any of them). Regardless, he replied and he kept replying to every message I sent to him. We agreed to have an online GTAV gaming session over mic on my day off that week (I was nervous because I'm shy) and it was a lot of fun. We got along really well. We just kept talking and after about 2 weeks, I came to a conclusion in my head that he needed to be HERE with me. I had no idea what the immigration process consisted of.

Right after Christmas (which I spent nearly the whole day with him on the headset chatting and playing video games) I decided to go get my passport and set up a trip to visit him. We still weren't dating and he kept saying he could sleep on the couch.

Fast forward….we decided to be boyfriend/girlfriend on New Years Day. My visit was in the beginning of March. Within minutes of meeting him, I knew he was exactly who he said he was. Adorable, tiny British guy who treats me like a princess and doesn't even try. He's just…himself. And he's fantastic. I went back to visit in May, and I'm going again in 3 weeks. I tried to file for the K1 right after my first trip, but hit a few snags and ended up filing a month later.

I'd be more detailed but I have to go to work…so, that's the gist of my story. :)

''No matter how painful distance can be, not having you in my life would be worse''

August 16 2013: Started dating

July 6 2014: Got engaged! (L)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I met my fiance very randomly. Online in the video game world. We were both playing Dayz. (it's a mod off the game Arma)
In the game we literally ran into each other. Decided instead of killing each other we'd team up. We had so much fun together and everything just seemed to click. After gaming & chatting everyday on FB, Skype, Steam, and every other way you could possibly talk. A year later I went down to Florida to finally meet in person. It was the most amazing time ever. (L) Now we are just waiting for our visa to be approved so we can start our in person life together (L)

That's odd... I wrote a post and it would not let me edit it :/

Anyhow I wanted to say I love your story Julie and Matt! Happy you found happiness after such heartache. I was always skeptical about online and long distance relationships but the truth is you never where life will take you.

My fiancé and I met online mid 2012 and throughout about a year we became closer and closer, to the point of talking everyday on skype and we really did become each other’s best friends above anything else. However we are both rational, and made it a point not to have too many expectations, as online is quite different than real life. We finally met in Vegas in August 2013, he was there on a pool tournament with his team and friends. We had an instant connection and felt very comfortable with each other, as if we had known each other for years. Although we wanted to get to know each other better in a real life setting and build a foundation before making life altering decisions, I think we both knew at that point that we could spend our lives together. Even his friends told him to put a ring on it after those 10 days lol.

We went through a in the past year he lost his mother in November and I flew there for the funeral and met his family. It wasn’t the ideal setting to meet them, but I really felt that being there to support him and his family deepened our relationship and our love. He proposed while I was visiting him 3 weeks ago, and used a ring his mother left for him to give to the woman he would marry. It just made the moment even more meaningful for both of us, as well as for his father and siblings who are all very excited!

Most people are very supportive and happy for us. I believe people’s reaction are a reflection of your own happiness and how you portray it. I choose to marry this man because he is my best friend, lover and life partner, we just make sense. Others opinion is irrelevant to me and him we love each other and can’t wait to share the rest of our lives together.

Best of luck to everyone on this journey!

''No matter how painful distance can be, not having you in my life would be worse''

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I love hearing stories how people meet! :)

I met my fiance, M, playing World of Warcraft. He was forming up a raiding group and needed a few more members. A friend from a previous guild was going and he messaged me to see if I wanted to come too.

I have to admit, I thought my fiance was a very capable raid leader and seemed like a decent guy but it wasn't love a first sight (or sound, I guess, as we only had voice chat). I was in a long term relationship at the time so I wasn't looking around. However, I broke up with my ex a few months later. I was talking to a few people but I found myself always wanting to talk to M. We spoke more and more over the next few months and decided we wanted to try the long distance relationship thing.

Over the next few months, I got to know him and his whole family through Skype. At Christmas, M had his ipad at a family gathering and he tried to make it like I was there with him. They were all very warm and welcoming. It does help that his mother is German so they are very familiar with a foreign fiance and the challenges of immigration! When I got some time off in February 2013, I decided to go to the US to meet him in person. It was the most comfortable feeling in the world, hugging him for the first time. My next visit in April, he proposed.

Now, a little more than a year later, we are waiting for my interview and I can't wait to be by his side. We spend hours each day communicating through messaging, skype, emails but I can't wait to be with him.

~S

Filed: Timeline

Keep faith. My husband and I were dating for about 7 months when I told my family about him and they didn't even want to hear about him. Marrying a divorced American with a child from his previous marriage and moving to the US was not the plan my parents had envisioned for me. There were threats of them disowning me, not supporting me, of them wanting me to move out if I continued to date him.

However once they saw I was not changing my mind, and after reluctantly meeting him (that was me telling them he is visiting and you are meeting him whether you like it or not) things changed. They saw his love and respect for me. How much he cares for me and that was it. We got married in the US and had a big awesome reception party in Greece. Now, almost 3 years after first telling my parents about him, my parents love him. Mom cooks for a day all his favorite foods before he arrives to visit and Dad clears his schedule so that he has time to spend with him.

Just wanted to share my story with you, as an example that things can come around. Hope they do for you too.

Thank you B&G ! I really do hope things will change, I keep faith :) thank you for sharing your sstory with me !!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

"That Thursday Night"

Sindorim

April 15, 2014 : I-129F Package Sent

April 19, 2014 : I-129F Package Delivery Confirmation via USPS

April 24, 2014 - NOA1 received via email/text

April 25, 2014 - Alien Registration Number changed

April 28, 2014 - NOA1 received in mail.

May 23, 2014 - RFE received in mail.

June 5, 2014 - Response to RFE Sent

June 11, 2014 - NOA2 Approval via website!!!

June 14, 2014 - NOA2 received in mail.

June 24, 2014 - NVC Case # via phone!

June 25, 2014 - NVC forwarded case to Embassy

June 26, 2014 - Embassy received case.

June 26, 2014 - NVC letter in mail.

August 4-5, 2014 - Medical

August 6, 2014 - CFO Seminar

August 13, 2014 - VIsa Interview (Expedited)

August 19, 2014 - VISA ready for pick up!

August 20, 2014 - Packet 3 Arrived

August 26, 2014 - POE!

August 26, 2014 - Notice to schedule an Interview...

October 23, 2014 - AOS/EAD Package Sent

October 30, 2014 - NOA1 via website

November 1, 2014 - NOA1 received in mail

November 6, 2014 - Biometrics Appointment Scheduled in mail

November 19, 2014 - Biometrics Appointment

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Not to go off subject, but I can relate. I seriously thought something was wrong with me going on those sites...just my opinion, but I found it hard to "hook up". At first I thought it was easy (according to the commercials haha), but little did I know that this is gonna take some work. It was almost trying to apply for a job and trying to stand out among 100's of other guys. After about 6 mos of trying and a few dollars short, I decided to try international and lo and behold, its like I died and went to heaven, haha. Granted there is scammers and what not there too, but when I met my fiancee, I too, felt I "hit the jackpot!"

You have inspired me with your story and congrats on your 5 yr anniversary!

Thank you for your kind words, and best wishes to the both of you for a long and happy future together!

Note:  I am the U.S. citizen sponsor.  All info below applies to my immigrant wife.

______________________________________________________________________________________

I-130 (CR1)

April 13, 2011: Married in China.
February 2, 2012: Interview 09:30 a.m. APPROVED!!!
March 2, 2012: POE JFK
March 17, 2012: Received SSN card.
April 5, 2012: 2-yr Green Card in hand

I-751 (ROC)

December 15, 2013: I-751 mailed to USCIS

June 9, 2014: ROC Approved per I-797C received 6-13-2014

June 17, 2014: New 10-yr Green Card in hand!

N-400
March 29, 2017:  N-400 mailed to USCIS
March 31, 2017: N-400 Received by USCIS per I-797C
April 27, 2017:  Biometrics completed
September 23, 2017:  Received I-797C for interview!

October 24, 2017:  Interview, passed all tests but "decision cannot yet be made"

October 30, 2017:  Received email that Oath ceremony has been scheduled, letter to follow with date and other info. 

USCIS case status updated w/same message as email.

November 2, 2017:  Oath ceremony letter received scheduled for Nov. 7, 2017.

November 7, 2017:  Oath Ceremony, Certificate of U.S. Naturalization in hand!!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

That's odd... I wrote a post and it would not let me edit it :/

Anyhow I wanted to say I love your story Julie and Matt! Happy you found happiness after such heartache. I was always skeptical about online and long distance relationships but the truth is you never where life will take you.

My fiancé and I met online mid 2012 and throughout about a year we became closer and closer, to the point of talking everyday on skype and we really did become each others best friends above anything else. However we are both rational, and made it a point not to have too many expectations, as online is quite different than real life. We finally met in Vegas in August 2013, he was there on a pool tournament with his team and friends. We had an instant connection and felt very comfortable with each other, as if we had known each other for years. Although we wanted to get to know each other better in a real life setting and build a foundation before making life altering decisions, I think we both knew at that point that we could spend our lives together. Even his friends told him to put a ring on it after those 10 days lol.

We went through a in the past year he lost his mother in November and I flew there for the funeral and met his family. It wasnt the ideal setting to meet them, but I really felt that being there to support him and his family deepened our relationship and our love. He proposed while I was visiting him 3 weeks ago, and used a ring his mother left for him to give to the woman he would marry. It just made the moment even more meaningful for both of us, as well as for his father and siblings who are all very excited!

Most people are very supportive and happy for us. I believe peoples reaction are a reflection of your own happiness and how you portray it. I choose to marry this man because he is my best friend, lover and life partner, we just make sense. Others opinion is irrelevant to me and him we love each other and cant wait to share the rest of our lives together.

Best of luck to everyone on this journey!

Lol, I was wondering why you quoted mine & didn't say anything:)

Your story is very sweet too & thank you! My Matt is the most amazing, sensitive & caring person I've ever met. However, I have the problem of no one (especially coworkers) understanding why I'd fall for someone in another country. Were so incredibly close...& in tune with each other. I daresay I know him better than most couples I've met. What's funny is before I wouldn't even date someone an hour away & now....well, 3,000 miles is pretty far. But he makes me so happy...I just wish this process would hurry up! At least I get to see him again next month, after that...it won't be til he's here...

I am the petitioner.

K1 Visa Timeline

Service Center: Texas Service Center

Transfer: California Service Center (2014-08-11)

Consulate: London, UK

NOA 1: 2014-04-23

NOA 2: 2014-09-15

NVC Case # Assigned: 2014-10-07

Consulate Received: 2014-10-10

Readiness Form Sent: 2014-10-30

Medical: 2014-11-10

Interview: 2014-12-19

Interview Result: missing paperwork. Took a few weeks for them to get back to his case because of the holidays.

K-1 Approval: 2015-01-15

Visa Received: 2015-01-21

US Entry: 2015-01-29

Marriage: 2015-04-23

I met my husband online on this silly website called hot or not in May 2010, he was deployed (Afghanistan) at time. We started talking just as friends but then realised we meant a lot more to each other than just friends, we met in LA on his leave (late Sep 2010) and spent a month together in his home town (Boise). He popped the question 2 days before we were set to fly back (me to Aus and him to Okinawa) and of cos I said yes!

We skyped everyday and even went to sleep together on skype, I went to visit him in Okinawa that Dec/Jan and we had so much fun, you really cherish those moments. In March 2011 he PCSed to Twentynine Palms and he managed to rent a house off base so I came to visit for 3 months in early April and we decided to elope a day before his birthday (our wedding certificate is stamped my birthday - we are week apart) and even adopted a puppy to keep him company while I was away. Ironically I was the one doing all the leaving and he was the one in the military! Ha. We continued this way till we finally decided to look into filing paperwork for me to join him by then it was Sep 2011, we really didn't know what to do. I came to visit in late Oct 2011 and he really started to look into it (he couldn't take me leaving again), we attended an immigration session on base in San Diego Nov 2011 and that really got the ball rolling. We filed AOS Dec 2011, everything went quite fast but our interview was delayed by a mix up with our old ASC and CSC after an address change. We were finally approved at our interview at Chula Vista July 2011 and by then I was 8 weeks pregnant with our daughter (she is now 17 MO and a handful).

My family adore him (they came to visit us in California several times and we even did a road trip together CA to ID via Vegas - it was crazy and awesome!) and he finally made the trip to Australia last Sep and met the rest of my family.

We have been married just over 3 years and been together a little over 4. I am thankful for everyday I get to wake up next to him and not have to worry when I will see him next. We filed ROC end of May 2014 and were approved July 23rd (2 weeks after my GC expired).?

I daresay I know him better than most couples I've met.

I also feel that way sometimes. I think maybe the distance forces us to work on our communication more than other couples. When I extracted our skype log, we couldn't believe how many hours we spend talking. In 9 months we had over 730 hours on skype alone. Needless to say we know each other pretty well even though we are apart.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I also feel that way sometimes. I think maybe the distance forces us to work on our communication more than other couples. When I extracted our skype log, we couldn't believe how many hours we spend talking. In 9 months we had over 730 hours on skype alone. Needless to say we know each other pretty well even though we are apart.

Hmmm...I wonder how many hours we've logged. We don't use skype, but a gaming voice chat called Xfire & we use the Steam chat when I'm on the mac side of my computer. All I know is we talk 1-3 hours every morning ( depends on my work shift that day) & on my day off ( usually 6 hours). Saturdays & Sundays after I get off work. ( I'm heading in now for a 12 hour date). Yeah, we call our chats dates lol. But I wouldn't hesitate to say we are around the same mark. Also, the last time he backed up our texts to his pc, in April I think, it was around 50,000.

I am the petitioner.

K1 Visa Timeline

Service Center: Texas Service Center

Transfer: California Service Center (2014-08-11)

Consulate: London, UK

NOA 1: 2014-04-23

NOA 2: 2014-09-15

NVC Case # Assigned: 2014-10-07

Consulate Received: 2014-10-10

Readiness Form Sent: 2014-10-30

Medical: 2014-11-10

Interview: 2014-12-19

Interview Result: missing paperwork. Took a few weeks for them to get back to his case because of the holidays.

K-1 Approval: 2015-01-15

Visa Received: 2015-01-21

US Entry: 2015-01-29

Marriage: 2015-04-23

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

My family is against it, like, totally. My mother doesn't even want to know anything about my man (she doesn't know we're engaged)

I wish I could say it gets better, but,.. (I still haven't even met my mother-in-law or sibling-in-laws, and at the rate things are going, probably never will).

I met my fiancée on Twitter in June of 2012, she sent me a message about a tweet that I had posted and the rest is history.

Hah! You're the only other couple I've heard of that met on Twitter. We did, as well–we were introduced by a mutual friend, who said "you two should talk." Completely random; he signed on to Twitter after months of not using it to procrastinate, and I was online because I was bored. We decided to marry a few months later, and spent most of 2013 either traveling to visit one another or working on the K-1 process.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.