jmd8800

Newbie Approaching I-751 Application

33 posts in this topic

Hello. My wife and I will be filing an I-791 application after 07/09/2014. Her conditional green card granted via marriage, expires on 10/09/2014.

I am familiar with most of the process thanks in part to posters on this forum, but I have a couple of questions:

1) we will include our tax returns but I'm wondering if we need to include just the 2 main pages or all of the schedules etc that accompany our taxes

2) My wife did a biometrics thing during the initial green card application. The I-751 application mentions an $85 biometric fee. Is this a second biometric fee a second appointment?

Does anyone have opinions on paying an attorney to file the paperwork? We did have an attorney help us file the initital proceeding

Thanks in advance. :-)

Hello. My wife and I will be filing an I-791 application after 07/09/2014. Her conditional green card granted via marriage, expires on 10/09/2014.

I am familiar with most of the process thanks in part to posters on this forum, but I have a couple of questions:

1) we will include our tax returns but I'm wondering if we need to include just the 2 main pages or all of the schedules etc that accompany our taxes

2) My wife did a biometrics thing during the initial green card application. The I-751 application mentions an $85 biometric fee. Is this a second biometric fee a second appointment?

Does anyone have opinions on paying an attorney to file the paperwork? We did have an attorney help us file the initital proceeding

Thanks in advance. :-)

1. You want to request a tax transcript from IRS. Free. Go to their website and request last 2 years. I'll take a few days by regular mail

2. Yes

3. No need to get an attorney. Forms are quite simple. The documentation needed is not specifically listed except for a couple of things, so you need to figure out what applies best for you. AMong others: show finance commingling by having taxes filed jointly, bank accounts in both names, mortgage and/or title; or lease, car titles, loans...all in both names. state id/drive license showing same address, health insurance from company shpowing coverage for both, 401k showing benficiary spouse, travel together (borading passes, pics, etc) would be secondary.

There are also affidavits, from a couple of people.

There is a full list in the guides here..just search for ROC and i believe it's pinned

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from Introducing Our Members forum to the ROC forum, on the basis of the OP's queries. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

I think you meant I-751, not I-791 (your post title was right).

Be careful, you need to file not earlier than 90 days before her GC expiration date. It is NOT 3 months. Use this tool to know when your filing window open: http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/dateCalculator.html (seems to be July 11th).

Yes, the biometrics fee is for a second biometrics appointment.

Other questions were pretty well answered by Gosia & Tito already. :)

No need for an attorney. The I-751 form is super easy to fill in (that's the only form to submit!), the rest is a matter of gathering a whole bunch of documents (printing bank statements, asking tax transcripts to the IRS, ...), and that's the most time-consuming part. An attorney can't do that for you. Seems like a waste of money (to me) to hire one because you will basically have to do 95% of the work yourself (if not 99%).

Edited by didopage

K-1 Visa Timeline AOS Timeline

- Aug 31st, 2011 - Mailed I-129F package - May 29th, 2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP package

- Apr 13th, 2012 - Visa received - Aug 24th, 2012 - Green Card received

ROC Timeline

- May 19th, 2014 - Mailed ROC package to CSC

- Aug 8th, 2014 - Green Card received

N-400 Timeline

- Dec 29th, 2021 - Filed online. Got notice that biometrics will be reused.

- Now waiting...

1. You want to request a tax transcript from IRS. Free. Go to their website and request last 2 years. I'll take a few days by regular mail

2. Yes

3. No need to get an attorney. Forms are quite simple. The documentation needed is not specifically listed except for a couple of things, so you need to figure out what applies best for you. AMong others: show finance commingling by having taxes filed jointly, bank accounts in both names, mortgage and/or title; or lease, car titles, loans...all in both names. state id/drive license showing same address, health insurance from company shpowing coverage for both, 401k showing benficiary spouse, travel together (borading passes, pics, etc) would be secondary.

There are also affidavits, from a couple of people.

There is a full list in the guides here..just search for ROC and i believe it's pinned

Has anyone reported having their application packaged returned for sending copies of tax returns instead of transcripts?

We sent copies of our returns, didn't bother with getting a transcript and they accepted it.

Done: I-130/CR-1, I-751/ROC

Done: I-327

Has anyone reported having their application packaged returned for sending copies of tax returns instead of transcripts?

We sent copies of our returns, didn't bother with getting a transcript and they accepted it.

Because you included all the supporting forms. Some people has complicated tax (self employed, investment, amended tax...) then the tax returns will be messy then tax transcript is preferred choice. It covers everything about your tax. They don't return your package, they send RFE for tax supporting docs.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

You can download the transcripts online without requesting the IRS to mail them. It is way quicker.

You can download the transcripts online without requesting the IRS to mail them. It is way quicker.

True.

I prefer the mail because I just don't trust much getting info that is sensitive online....This is a diff discussion but I happen to work in computer security for the past several years and it's just too risky for my taste...most people don't have the secure environment that is required these days. Most of the time it is not that critical but you never know. There are people who are actively seeking to gain access to your identity everyday. Thay are ot targetting specifically you or I but any computer that goes under their radar is a potential target.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the info. Especially the time frame calculator. We were going to postmark the envelope on July 9 however after seeing the calculator we'll wait until the 11th to postmark it USPS overnight.

What we have so far:

• 2 years of IRS tax transcripts
  • 15 or so pictures of us. A couple taken on a trip to Thailand with her family. Some at home some at dinner. One at a Thai temple.
  • 6 months of joint checking. (Very little activity we just pay rent and car ins and AAA) We submitted this account initially.
  • Joint credit card statement
  • Anthem Blue Cross showing both of us on the policy through my work. (I had to take a screen shot to get it.)
  • All of my employment benefits and retirement papers show my wife as beneficiary.
  • Family AAA membership (continuing)
  • 2 affidavits 1) landlord 2) good friend of mine for 40+ years
  • Flight itinerary to Thailand. Scans of entry/exit in passports
  • Seems I'm forgetting something..hahaha

We cannot find a copy of our lease. This was submitted originally and I think I'll just mention that in the cover letter. It has not changed. After 1 year the lease defaults to month to month unless another lease is signed which is not the case.

One last question. My wife received an Employment Authorization card (brown / red color) with dates on it. This card has expired by 11 months. If I remember right this was issued until the conditional green card is approved. Is that correct or did we miss something?

Thanks for all of your help. I'll post more as time goes on.

Filed: Timeline

I like your "Seems I'm forgetting something..hahaha" bullet point as what you are including...:) I'm sure that'll help your ROC process. ;) You seem fine regarding your list, although they like to see at least quarterly joint bank accounts from the point of you getting married to present...

Thanks for all of the info. Especially the time frame calculator. We were going to postmark the envelope on July 9 however after seeing the calculator we'll wait until the 11th to postmark it USPS overnight.

What we have so far:

• 15 or so pictures of us. A couple taken on a trip to Thailand with her family. Some at home some at dinner. One at a Thai temple.
  • 6 months of joint checking. (Very little activity we just pay rent and car ins and AAA) We submitted this account initially.
  • Anthem Blue Cross showing both of us on the policy through my work. (I had to take a screen shot to get it.)
  • All of my employment benefits and retirement papers show my wife as beneficiary.

We cannot find a copy of our lease. This was submitted originally and I think I'll just mention that in the cover letter. It has not changed. After 1 year the lease defaults to month to month unless another lease is signed which is not the case.

One last question. My wife received an Employment Authorization card (brown / red color) with dates on it. This card has expired by 11 months. If I remember right this was issued until the conditional green card is approved. Is that correct or did we miss something?

What we have so far:

Hi, with regards to the EAD Card you are correct in that your wife only needed it until she received her G/C, the only thing it is now is a memento of her journey to getting her G/C.

Brian

AOS

Feb 3rd 2014 sent AOS pack I-130, I-485, 
Feb 17th 2014 Received NOA1 x 3 NOA1 date 5th Feb 2014
Feb 22nd 2014 Received biometrics appointment for 7th March 2014 at 3pm
Feb 27th 2014 Did early walk in for Biometrics successfully
March 17th 2014 Received text & email with interview date on 22nd April 2014

March 18th 2014 Received interview letter in post with time & place, 2.15pm at Mt Laurel NJ
April 16th 2014 Received EAD card
April 22nd 2014 Had AOS interview at Mt Laurel NJ APPROVED
April 22nd 2014 Text & email Case Status: Card / Document Production
April 26th 2014 Received my Green Card today
Total time from Application to Approval 11 Weeks & 1 Day
ROC
Feb 9th 2016 I-751 package sent to Vermont Service Center
Feb 11th 2016 I-751 package received at VSC
Feb 17th 2016 Cheque for $590 cashed

Feb 19th 2016 Received I-797 NOA Dated 02/12/2016

March 8th 2016 Biometrics Appointment at 10am. (Done)

April 14th 2017  I-551 stamp in passport 

April 27th 2017 Received text & email Card/Document Production

May 3rd 2017 Received 10 year Green Card today   

N-400

March 7th 2017 N-400 sent to Dallas TX 

March 10th N-400 Application received

March 15th Cheque for $725 cashed

March 20th received NOA1 dated March 15th

March 24th received biometrics appointment for 04/05/17

March 28th did early walk in for biometrics 

October 10th received Citizenship Interview letter

November 13th Citizenship Interview at 10 am Mount Laurel NJ passed my interview.

November 13th Oath ceremony 3pm now a citizen

November 14th applied for my passport 

November 25th Received my passport 

November 27th Received my naturalization certificate back

November 28th Updated my social security records 

What we have so far:

You need to include a copy of the green card, front and back. You don't need the employment authorization card.

The lease is important. They will not look at evidence from previous applications. This is a brand new petition and needs to be self-contained. You need to find the lease or get something in writing from your landlord.

You need to show that you are living together. Copies of both of your drivers licenses with the same address are good. Utilities or other bills with both of your names on them, addressed to your current address.

You need 2 years of joint bank and/or credit card statements. YOu can choose to include a statement every few months, but the total timespan needs to cover the entire period of marriage.

I like your "Seems I'm forgetting something..hahaha" bullet point as what you are including... :) I'm sure that'll help your ROC process. ;) You seem fine regarding your list, although they like to see at least quarterly joint bank accounts from the point of you getting married to present...

So yes I was forgetting something: We are opening an online (for now maybe a storefront later) business together and we have filed for DBA, secured the website URL, etc. We did this back in April and hope to be live around January 2015.

I will get the bank to print the statements back to day 1. For some reason I cannot print statements from this account at home.

Tomorrow I will go through everything again. We are getting close to mailing day.

Filed: Timeline

Oooh, fingers and toes crossed for you guys! :)

So yes I was forgetting something: We are opening an online (for now maybe a storefront later) business together and we have filed for DBA, secured the website URL, etc. We did this back in April and hope to be live around January 2015.

I will get the bank to print the statements back to day 1. For some reason I cannot print statements from this account at home.

Tomorrow I will go through everything again. We are getting close to mailing day.

We sent no copies of tax returns and haven't had any RFEs (yet). Just her ID and GC, my ID and pay stub, and a joint bank account statement.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.