Meka Onyeneho

How to get a visa from Nigeria to US

51 posts in this topic

Oh wow. What about if he has family here? Can they petition for his visa?

No, and that would count even more against him. Also, if you are (much) older, white, divorced, with children, menopausal, of a different religion, without a degree or with a low social status/paying job, you are going to have a hard time.

event.png

The fact that there is not a significant age difference will be useful for your case.

Unfortunately, Nigeria is the hardest embassy to get a visa from in the world, because of the high number of fraudsters. Without significant time spent face to face, your chances may not be the best. There is a whole sub forum dedicated to people bringing over Nigerians, you may get better advice there.

event.png

Youare getting well ahead of yourself, first you need to meet and spend quality time and see how far this relationship will go.

That may be so, but there are people out there - me including - that like to be prepared and aware of all possibilities, even if those are to be somewhere in the distant future.

@Meka - you're welcome, and good luck!

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Can you meet somewhere else, if you don;t want to go to Nigeria? Europe maybe?

If he has close family in the USA, they can petition for him, but that would need to be a parent, child over 21 or sibling (and sibling visas take a looooong time).

If he has family in the USA that are not that close, but they love him, maybe they would be willing to help you two meet, financially, by paying for plane tickets to Europe or some such?

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Timeline

I don't mind meeting in Nigeria, but I was wanting him to come to the US and then go back together. If I must travel there to get this process going, I will. He does have family in Minesota, a aunt and a uncle. They are college professors and are wealthy, initially they were going to assist us, but change their minds once they found out I have kids. So we are on our on.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Nigeria is very high fraud and it is hard to get visas to the US. The only path for him through is aunt/uncle would be for them to file for their sibling ( your boyfriands mother or father ) and about 13 years later they could get a visa. That parent would then file for their unmarried child and about 8 more ( we are talking 21 total years ) your boyfriend could come. Personally I wouldn't want to wait that long. If the aunt and uncle are traditionalist so probably are his parents, and that will be a red flag in your process especially if he is the oldest son.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Timeline

Ok that's why I think our only chance is for me to travel there. His mother is deceased, I've met his father, sisters and brothers online and talk to them all the time on the phone etc. they love me and have no problems with me. They are very nice people.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You guys can meet in Mexico but its still preferable to meet in Nigeria so you can get to know the parents and siblings in person because on the day of the interview they will ask if you have met with his family in person.

How old is your fiance and are you of child bearing age?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.