Bare

AOS after 9 months of arrival with k1 visa, help!

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello everyone. I have a lot of questions and I'm hoping you can give me some ideas and suggestions. Thanks in advance!

I arrived Sept 4 in the US with K1 visa. We never filed any AOS within that time, my husband became disabled, filed for Social Security Disability but haven't got any determination yet. Just yesterday we got a letter saying that he was declined and we should file a claim and appeal. We are planning to file for AOS after 9 months of me living here in the US, I-94 expired December. I'm currently out of status right now, and my husband is unemployed, waiting for the Disability benefits. My question is will it be hard for us to be approve for my green card if he has no job and disabled and I'm out of status ( I-94 expired ) and everything or will it be just fine to file AOS with our situation right now and get approve with no problems since we're married already and I'm here living in the US?

Also, we are planning to do it by ourselves ( no agency or anything ), will it be just fine?

One more thing, it says on the USCIS website that AOS fee is $1070, is that it?

I'm wondering too, if I have the green card would I need to have a US passport to travel or I can use my Philippine passport and green card?

Thank you all.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Do you have a sponsor, other than your spouse, who can prove they make at least 125% of the poverty level for their household plus you?

You are ok to file if you have a joint sponsor who meet the income requirements.

$1070 is correct.

You cannot receive a US passport until you become a citizen. You would travel with the green card and your Philippine passport.

Do you have a sponsor, other than your spouse, who can prove they make at least 125% of the poverty level for their household plus you?

You are ok to file if you have a joint sponsor who meet the income requirements.

$1070 is correct.

You cannot receive a US passport until you become a citizen. You would travel with the green card and your Philippine passport.

We haven't thought about sponsors, but if we do have a sponsor can it be just a friend of his or a relatives of mine who are in the US too?

Just in case we wait until we got approved on the Disability before we file for AOS, would it be fine if it's like a year or more after my arrival and he has Disability Insurance? Do we still need a sponsor just in case we got the Disability insurance or that's enough?

I won't get in trouble if I'm living in the US out of status for a long time as long as I don't do crimes or anything, is that right?

Thank you.

Hello everyone. I have a lot of questions and I'm hoping you can give me some ideas and suggestions. Thanks in advance!

I arrived Sept 4 in the US with K1 visa. We never filed any AOS within that time, my husband became disabled, filed for Social Security Disability but haven't got any determination yet. Just yesterday we got a letter saying that he was declined and we should file a claim and appeal. We are planning to file for AOS after 9 months of me living here in the US, I-94 expired December. I'm currently out of status right now, and my husband is unemployed, waiting for the Disability benefits. My question is will it be hard for us to be approve for my green card if he has no job and disabled and I'm out of status ( I-94 expired ) and everything or will it be just fine to file AOS with our situation right now and get approve with no problems since we're married already and I'm here living in the US?

Also, we are planning to do it by ourselves ( no agency or anything ), will it be just fine?

I'm wondering too, if I have the green card would I need to have a US passport to travel or I can use my Philippine passport and green card?

Thank you all.

1. I have no idea about I-864 or affidavit of support. I will let others answer your question.
  2. You can do by yourself. My husband and I are going to do by ourselves. Just like my K-1 visa.
  3. Yes, the fee is 1070.
  4. A green card holder can't have a US passport at same time. A green card holder is a legal permanent resident whereas a US passport holder is a citizen. When you intend to travel to your home country, you need your passport and when you are traveling back to the US then you need your green card to enter the country.

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

• I have no idea about I-864 or affidavit of support. I will let others answer your question.
  • You can do by yourself. My husband and I are going to do by ourselves. Just like my K-1 visa.
  • Yes, the fee is 1070.
  • A green card holder can't have a US passport at same time. A green card holder is a legal permanent resident whereas a US passport holder is a citizen. When you intend to travel to your home country, you need your passport and when you are traveling back to the US then you need your green card to enter the country.

Thank you. I'm mostly wondering about sponsors or affidavit of support. Good luck on your case!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

I believe SSDI can be counted as income since it is based upon what he paid into the system. SSI cannot because it is based upon his financial need. Anyone who is a US citizen or LPR and who lives in the US can be your joint sponsor.

You are always at risk of detention when you are out of status. The chances are small but it could happen. Usually the person is take before an immigration judge who orders them to file AOS within a certain amount of time. It is a lot of trouble and stress if this happens.

Thank you all.

Hi Bare. Just to add to what Belinda and Girl from Celebes advised, here's the poverty guideline for your reference: http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864p.pdf

You have to check the 125% column for the sponsor's household size, for example a gross income of $19,662 is required for a household of 2.

For the joint or co-sponsors, they only have to be a US citizen or a LPR (GC holder) and he/she doesn't have to be related to you or your husband, meaning friends are fine.

Also, another thing you have to consider is that your medical date should NOT be more than one year prior to filing your AOS. If it is, you would need to take a full medical with a civil surgeon. The cost for this varies from CS to CS.

By the way, when you file for your AOS, include EAD and AP. AP (Advance Parole) allows you to re-enter US. You only need a PH passport to travel back to Phils. EAD and AP combo card is issued in approximately 60-90 days from filing, whereas the GC as of late can reach up to 1 year before they approve it. :)

Edited by sweet cakes

heart.gif After all, we're all just walking home ...heart.gif

:energy: N-400 in progess ...

01/14/2013 Filed I-129f

07/31/2013 I-129f NOA2

11/04/2013 Visa Received

11/21/2013 POE: Honolulu .. Aloha!

01/27/2014 Wedding day! (L)

03/11/2014 Filed I-485, I-131 and I-765

05/31/2014 EAD/AP card received

06/27/2014 Green card received

05/12/2016 Filed I-751

05/25/2016 Check cashed

05/26/2016 NOA (Dated 05/16) Received

06/20/2016 Biometric Appointment

05/07/2017 10-year Green card received

N-400

07/02/2018 Filed N-400 online

07/24/2018 Biometric Appointment

I believe SSDI can be counted as income since it is based upon what he paid into the system. SSI cannot because it is based upon his financial need. Anyone who is a US citizen or LPR and who lives in the US can be your joint sponsor.

You are always at risk of detention when you are out of status. The chances are small but it could happen. Usually the person is take before an immigration judge who orders them to file AOS within a certain amount of time. It is a lot of trouble and stress if this happens.

We have filed for SSDI but actually the letter we got yesterday said we were declined for the SSI so now it is confusing. I mostly stay in the house since I got no papers so there's definitely no crimes or illegal gonna happen. There's no way they can deport me if I'm out of status is that right?

Hi Bare. Just to add with what Belinda and Girl from Celebes advised, here's the poverty guideline for your reference: http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864p.pdf

You have to check the 125% column for the sponsor's household size, for example a gross income of $19,662 is required for a household of 2.

For the joint or co-sponsors, they only have to be a US citizen or a LPR (GC holder) and he/she doesn't need to be related to you or your husband, meaning friends are fine.

Also, another thing you also have to consider prior to filing your AOS is that your medical date should NOT be more than one year since you took it. If it is, you would need to take a full medical with a civil surgeon. The cost for this varies from CS to CS.

I had my medical in St. Lukes June 10, 2013. So obviously it's not valid no more? I gotta have a new tests before I can file for AOS?

I had my medical in St. Lukes June 10, 2013. So obviously it's not valid no more? I gotta have a new tests before I can file for AOS?

Yes, sorry to say that. You would need to get a new full medical again with a uscis-listed Civil surgeon. :(

Here's the CS locator: https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=offices.type&OfficeLocator.office_type=CIV

Or you can also browse here and call around which one will give you the best price: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/231026-civil-surgeons-who-dont-rip-you-off/

Do the medical again only when you are ready to file for your AOS.

Edited by sweet cakes

heart.gif After all, we're all just walking home ...heart.gif

:energy: N-400 in progess ...

01/14/2013 Filed I-129f

07/31/2013 I-129f NOA2

11/04/2013 Visa Received

11/21/2013 POE: Honolulu .. Aloha!

01/27/2014 Wedding day! (L)

03/11/2014 Filed I-485, I-131 and I-765

05/31/2014 EAD/AP card received

06/27/2014 Green card received

05/12/2016 Filed I-751

05/25/2016 Check cashed

05/26/2016 NOA (Dated 05/16) Received

06/20/2016 Biometric Appointment

05/07/2017 10-year Green card received

N-400

07/02/2018 Filed N-400 online

07/24/2018 Biometric Appointment

One question, did you two get married within 90 days after your arrival? If yes you can do AOS by yourself and it's somehow easier because you came here with K-1. And please don't mind to file Advance Parole I-131, because you are out of status and now if you leave the country, you will be denied entry when you come back (even if you have AP.) Good luck.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

I would just file AP and EAD anyways since its free. Just for emergency so that you won't regret not filing it. You will want to file your AOS ASAP to avoid any issues with immigration since you are out of status

-I am the Beneficiary-
event.png

K1 (I-129F) petition filed in August 2013 (Approved Feb 20th 2014)
13th May 2014: AOS (I-485) & EAD/AP combo card
21st May 2014: NOA 1 and biometric letter
11th June 2014: biometric appointment
13th June 2014: RFE received via mail
16th June 2014: replied to RFE
6th August 2014: EAD Approved, AP still in initial review
12th August 2014: got tracking number for EAD
( ) August 2014: Received EAD (I forgot what date I got them but I did receive them less than 5 days from the 12th)
10th September 2014: Interview Waiver received (I wished I was interviewed)
April 23, 2015, we registered your permanent resident status and mailed you a Welcome Notice

I would just file AP and EAD anyways since its free. Just for emergency so that you won't regret not filing it. You will want to file your AOS ASAP to avoid any issues with immigration since you are out of status

OP has overstayed for more than 6 months already. AP is not an option, OP will be denied entry even with a valid AP.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

BIA Rules That Traveling On Advance Parole Does Not Trigger 3/10 Year Bar

By Michael Gurfinkel

Link here: http://www.gurfinkel.com/imm_updates131c.htm

Check my timeline for K-1 visa & AOS details

Conditional Permanent Resident: 16 September 2014

Conditional GC Expires: 16 September 2016

ROC Journey (CA Service Center)

2016-Sep-14: I-751 form, check, supporting docs sent USPS Priority Express

2016-Sep-15: ROC application received & signed for by Lakelieh

2016-Sep-15: NOA receipt date

2016-Sep-19: $590 check cashed by USCIS

2016-Sep-20: NOA/ 1-year extension letter received in mail

2018-Feb-26: ROC case transferred to local office

2018-Mar-06: ROC approved via USCIS website (WAC status check)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.