RojoGringo

3 years for a fiance visa?

31 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I can't imagine it taking three years. Also, at first I thought I would need a lawyer too because I was overwhelmed with the paperwork and everything but if you look at the forums and guides, you can definitely handle it yourself and save a ton of money.

February 4, 2014: I-129f sent

February 7, 2014: I-129f delivered

February 11, 2014: NOA1 received via email/text

February 13, 2014: Alien Registration Number changed

February 18, 2014: NOA1 received in mail (dated 2/11)

What everyone else said - it should take 6 months to a year depending on your circumstances. IR1/CR1 visas (for married couples) are taking longer, but you aren't going down that path, so no worries there!

And, unless you have extenuating circumstances, you won't need a lawyer, The VJ (VisaJourney) guides across the top of the site, as well as the forums here will be the best resource you could have.

Good luck!

K1 Visa Process AOS Process

Mar 18 2013: I-129F mailed to CSC Nov 15 2013: I-485 with EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox

Sept 19 2013: Interview - Approved!! Jan 25 2014: EAD/AP Card Received

Oct 6 2013: POE - Chicago O'Hare June 2 2014: Permanent Resident Card Received!

Oct 27 2013: Wedding!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

You do not need a lawyer. They don't help speed up the process. You can fill out and do everything on your own.

As for 3 years, ask if they were put on AP? and how long that process took? I filed March 7, 2013 and am stuck in AP for 6 months now.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

K-1s are like 9 months from acceptance of petition to feet on ground in US.

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

We are currrently at 1 year and 4 months and we hope for the visa to be printed anyday now.

I applied for a K1 back in 2005 and it took 8 months from start to arrival in the US. It will really depend on your circumstances, location, etc. Good luck and be sure to learn the "lingo" here on VJ. Its very helpful and will save you alot of trouble.

January 16, 2013 - I-129F Petition Sent USPS
January 22, 2013 - Petition Delivery Confirmed
January 25, 2013 - NOA1 Email and Text Confirmation
January 30, 2013 - "Touched" Alien Number Generated
January 31, 2013 - NOA1 Letter Received via "snail mail"
June 21, 2013 - Transferred from Vermont

July 6, 2013 - Actual Approval but error did not generate our NOA2

July 17, 2013 - Service Request via USCIS (6 months)

July 22, 2013 - Approval affirmed via USCIS.gov new NOA2 generated

August 2013 - NVC Case # Generated

August 28, 2013 - Packet 3 received from Cairo Embassy

September 2013 - Medical Complete

October 22, 2013 - Packet returned complete to Embassy via DHL

February 2014 - Interview letter received

March 24, 2014- Interview - EGYPT

April 4 & 7, 2014 - Case Touched Twice - Requested Expedite due to Beneficiary's Mothers Passing (4/1/14)

April 7, 2014 - Passport sent to Embassy via DHL

April 14, 2014 - VISA Received

April 18, 2014 - Flight to USA

July 11, 2014 - MARRIED!!!!

August ,2015 - AOS finally filed ;-)

August ,2015 - RFE

September 2015 - Returned RFE information

November ,2015 - EAD Approved

November ,2015 - EAD Received

December ,2015- AOS Approved

December ,2015- 2 year Green Card Received

November 13, 2016 my little brother passed away :-(

December ,2017 Lift conditions InshaAllah

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi all,

My name is Mike and I will be applying for a K-1 visa within the next week or so and I am glad this webiste is here. I did talk to a couple of attorneys and they both said that the average time from filling to the arrival of my fiance is one year. But I have a friend who is married to a woman from Albania and he has a friend who married a man from the Dominican Republic, they have both said they would help me with the fiance application and process and that I do not need an lawyer. My friend however said that the process is more like 3 years, is this true?

Hey RojoGringo

I'm from Colombia en mi visa process took 6 months. My husband filed the I-129F on february of 2013 and it was approved (NOA2) on july same year. For other countries the same process takes forever, and the packets are sent separately, that's not the case for Colombia.

If it's helpful for you, here's the link of my timelime so that you have an idea. Good luck!

http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=164000

.::. ** K-1 Visa Process ** .::.

I-129F Sent: February - 2nd - 2013

I-129F NOA 1: February - 15th - 2013

I-129F NOA 2: July - 18th - 2013

NVC Received: August - 8th - 2013

NVC Left: August - 12th - 2013

Consulate Received: August - 14th - 2013

Visa Interview Scheduled: October - 4th - 2013 Approved!Enter The USA: October - 21st - 2013

Port of Entry: Washington D.C. (Washington Dulles)

.::. **A.O.S. Process ** .::.

I-485; I-765 (E.A.D); I-131 (A.P) Sent: January - 14th - 2014

I-485; I-765 (E.A.D); I-131 (A.P) NOA 1: Text message received. January - 21st - 2014

I-485; I-765 (E.A.D); I-131 (A.P) NOA 1: Hard copy received. January 27th - 2014

NOA Biometrics appointment: Letter on the mail on January - 30th - 2014

Biometrics appointment scheduled: February - 12th - 2014. In York, Pennsylvania

A.O.S interview appointment scheduled: March - 27th - 2014. In Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

E.A.D: March - 25th - 2014 Card Production

A.P: March - 20th - 2014. Approved!

.::. **R.O.C. Process ** .::.

I-751 Sent: December - 30th - 2015

I-751 (NOA): Hard copy received January - 9th - 2016

NOA Biometrics appointment: Letter on the mail on January - 23th - 2016

Biometrics appointment scheduled: February - 2th - 2016. In York, Pennsylvania

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Guyana
Timeline

It does not take 3 years that sounds more like a wait time for a green card holder. 9 months to a year. And by the way you dont need a lawyer to bring your fiance up. Its not that difficult. The fiance visa was not meant to take that long.

Edited by JPatton

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Mike- my fiance and i began the K1 process in Nov 2013, the reciept number was issued to us at 23 days in December, the National Visa Processing center sent us more info in Jan. 2014, we followed the instructions to the letter, completed the D160 online, made our appointment for April 4 and on April 4 a visa was approved, we are just waiting for it to arrive via DHL, the tracking number the Embassy gave us shows it was sent out yesterday. We are a gay couple and were pretty nervous about the ability to get a Fiance visa even with the elemination of DOMA. We did all the paperwork and filing ourselves, we just followed advice from this forum and i have to be honest it was really fast and easy. Some facts about our case and comments:

Gay Couple together 9 years. I live in US, he lives in Mexico.

Proof of relationship- very easy as i have flown to our home in Mexico every other weekend for 7 years. Pictures are needed for documentation of your relationship, proof of meeting, proof of talking etc. Skype documention, flight documentation, Orbitz was great in helping create documentation of all the travels.

His interview was in Ciudad Juarez, we spent the week there

- Monday arrived

- Tuesday doctors appointment

- Wed relaxing

- Thursday Biometrics appointment

- Friday 7:15 am interview appointment

Friday 6:30 arrived at Sala de Espera for form documentation, 7:00 he was sent to Embassy, 8:38 am he walked out the front doors of Embassy with his green approval for K1 Visa. Friday evening he flew back to our home in Guadalajara and I flew back to Sacramento, ticket booked for his flight to US this Saturday based on DHL tracking that says he will have the Visa by today.

7 months from start to finish, did it all ourselves but i have to say this Forum helped TREMENDOUSLY with all the little questions.

Good luck Mike, hopefully it will go as easily for you as it did us.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hullo Mike -

ask for a timeline of things for the 3 year duration, from this friend, from beginning to end.

report back, when able.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I am meeting with both of them tonight, I will let you know what they say (I believe that there was some problems with there applications). Also I want to Thank everyone for their responses it has helped me understand that my assumptions were correct and elevated much of my concerns.

Ours took about 9 months. The whole process takes awhile (to getting the greencard and being done) but K-1 isn't that long!

Visa Journey

04/20/2007 | I-129F Filed

03/15/2008 |Married!

AOS JOURNEY

04/25/2008 | AOS Filed/EAD Filed

09/11/2008 | Green Card Received *Sighs Relief*

03/15/2009| Happy 1 year wedding anniversary!

03/15/2010| Happy 2 years!

Removing Restrictions:

07/14/2010 | Biometrics for I-751

09/10/2010 | RFE

10/28/2010 | Interview in Cleveland *APPROVED*

Got Green Card. Done!

Married 6 years, March 15, 2014

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Mike- my fiance and i began the K1 process in Nov 2013, the reciept number was issued to us at 23 days in December, the National Visa Processing center sent us more info in Jan. 2014, we followed the instructions to the letter, completed the D160 online, made our appointment for April 4 and on April 4 a visa was approved, we are just waiting for it to arrive via DHL, the tracking number the Embassy gave us shows it was sent out yesterday. We are a gay couple and were pretty nervous about the ability to get a Fiance visa even with the elemination of DOMA. We did all the paperwork and filing ourselves, we just followed advice from this forum and i have to be honest it was really fast and easy. Some facts about our case and comments:

Gay Couple together 9 years. I live in US, he lives in Mexico.

Proof of relationship- very easy as i have flown to our home in Mexico every other weekend for 7 years. Pictures are needed for documentation of your relationship, proof of meeting, proof of talking etc. Skype documention, flight documentation, Orbitz was great in helping create documentation of all the travels.

His interview was in Ciudad Juarez, we spent the week there

- Monday arrived

- Tuesday doctors appointment

- Wed relaxing

- Thursday Biometrics appointment

- Friday 7:15 am interview appointment

Friday 6:30 arrived at Sala de Espera for form documentation, 7:00 he was sent to Embassy, 8:38 am he walked out the front doors of Embassy with his green approval for K1 Visa. Friday evening he flew back to our home in Guadalajara and I flew back to Sacramento, ticket booked for his flight to US this Saturday based on DHL tracking that says he will have the Visa by today.

7 months from start to finish, did it all ourselves but i have to say this Forum helped TREMENDOUSLY with all the little questions.

Good luck Mike, hopefully it will go as easily for you as it did us.

Fiancé arrived today in the US.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hi all,

My name is Mike and I will be applying for a K-1 visa within the next week or so and I am glad this webiste is here. I did talk to a couple of attorneys and they both said that the average time from filling to the arrival of my fiance is one year. But I have a friend who is married to a woman from Albania and he has a friend who married a man from the Dominican Republic, they have both said they would help me with the fiance application and process and that I do not need an lawyer. My friend however said that the process is more like 3 years, is this true?

10 months or so is the average.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.