37 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Let me tell you something I am sure about. One LT couple got married in the USA. After they came back to their home country they never registered their marriage at the appropriate institution and never showed their Marriage Certificate to their employers. They paid taxes as single and husband was bull...itting in public he is not married.

There is an obligation to REGISTER your marriage even if it happened in a foreign country, but what if they don't? I think it happens.

Girl, as I saw your post in another thread, I want to tell you: go to the USA to see your husband to make sure nothing fishy is happening there.

you do NOT have to register a foreign marriage in the US. There is no place to register marriages here :no:

Still married wherever that is but I understand why you're asking about this because in PI it has to be registered to the local registry office where you got married, this is usually done by the clerks in that town or municipality where your marriage took place. As for me, being the USC, I know that I am officially and legally married though me and my wife got married in PI but last year after we got married, I went home and brought our NSO marriage certificate and also brought authenticated marriage certificates (the one with the red ribbon). I registered it to my local county in Florida just to make sure that everything is in public record.

There is NO federal level to register birth and marriage certificates in the US but you can register at your local state/county office.

We had several arguments in the past and he ends up saying 'lets separate then' . I always reply to him... ' i will not sign any annulment papers even if u force me'. Then just recently when we argued i told him " i'm tired of fighting if you want annulment then go ahead and get a lawyer!" . He replied " you get a lawyer since this is your hometown. I live in a different state so it doesnt matter" . After he said that. i became silent and i thought of maybe he might think of getting married again while we are still married here in the P.I

I'm from the UK....husband is a USC.

We got married in Denmark....just because we could!

I used our Danish wedding certificate for my immigration... never had to register it,

Your husband..either he's trying to pull a fast one, or he's just lying.

I guess my point is, as the others have said....a marriage certificate is good anywhere.

Old and Grumpy....But an American Citizen!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

He can file for divorce in any country he meets the residency and other requirements for. He can file in the US and have you sent the papers. Even if you don't sign them they will still grant the divorce.

How can we divorce in usa when we are married here in p.i?

The Philippines is the only country in the world that does not allow divorce for its citizens. In most states in the USA, all a person needs to do is file and say they want a divorce, they do not even have to give a reason. You could fight the divorce, but all you could do is slow down how fast it happens. You'd need to at least have a lawyer in the USA fighting for you. Granted divorce is faster and easier when both parties sign, but one saying they don't want a divorce, will not stop it. Your country has no problem recognising that divorce for the foreign party, but you will need to go through a legal process there to be considered single again. Which you can do as long as the non-Philippine citizen filed for the divorce. The Philippines cannot demand a non-citizen stay married just because the marriage was celebrated in the Philippines.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

The Vatican also does not allow divorce; only annulment.

Also, no-fault divorce is an option in EVERY state now.

What does being Catholic have to do with it? Just curious?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.