maklein

K-1 or straight to Greencard

39 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

A green card does not make you a US citizen, a green card is not something she can file for in the philippines and obtain. it takes 3 years after marriage to a US citizen to take a test to possibly become a citizen.

K-1 is only for fiance. you MUST meet face to face in any country in the world, then file the paperwork. if approved she comes to US, you get married, then file adjustment of status ($1070.00), this can include work permit, ability to travel outside US and green card). green card good for 2 years, then you file and pay more money to switch to a 10 year green card or take the citizenship test.

if you marry her in her country, you return to US and start the paperwork for CR1? once approved she will join you in the US but will automatically have a green card which is work, travel and permanent resident status all together. then citizenship test in 3 years.

Someone please correct me if I have stated something wrong. I'm basing this on everything I have read and already done in my own relationship :)

you don;t switch to a 10 year green card OR take the citizenship. You MUST remove conditions on the 2 year green card, citizenship is not an option until this has been done. And you cannot apply for citizenship until you have had a green card for at least 3 years, 1 year after getting the 10 year green card

Another question - when showing the money I make - does the money have to be in my name?

I plan to have my mother support us until I begin making enough money.

She does make 100% above my state poverty line.

Thank you

Unless mother is active-duty military she will need to show 125% of poverty line, not 100%.

What are you doing that you can't sponsor? You said work schedules - that presumes you're employed.

Just how old are you?

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Another question - when showing the money I make - does the money have to be in my name?

I plan to have my mother support us until I begin making enough money.

She does make 100% above my state poverty line.

Thank you

Really? Does your Mother know of this 'plan" ?

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

I think before you even go near any immigration paperwork, you ought to meet this lady in person a few times and get used to her. People behave differently in real life to how they portray themselves online most of the time. Besides which, you don't understand most of what you're being told. You can only make so many mistakes with immigration before you really screw something up.

Get to know the girl better, get to know US immigration better.

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Can't he just send her back if it does not work out?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

Why would you marry someone if you have never met them? Are you aware that if you file immigration for them that you will be responsible financially for them for 10 years at least, even if you divorce? Are you aware that the embassy judges if you have a real relationship or not, and deciding you don't want to meet, besides being impossible, appears like you don't have a true relationship?

You are really putting the cart before the horse here. Trying to find immigration stuff before you have even met.

If I were you, I would slow down, spend some time together, getting to know eachother, and then think about the future. You might not even get along, in the end.

Be careful, too. Philippines is a high fraud country, and there are many people there who only want to go to the US, and are willing to trick Americans by pretending to love them, only to leave them as soon as they hit the ground in the US, or as soon as they get their immigration paperwork.

Okay, I will take your advice, thank you

This isn't to be taken lightly. Its a major investment in time and money. You have to be willing to spend the time to learn how the immigration process works, what documents you need, what problems that may arise. It's a big learning curve.

Also not taking it seriously can lead to denial, lost time, and lots of heartaches.

Okay, thank you very much.

Unless mother is active-duty military she will need to show 125% of poverty line, not 100%.

What are you doing that you can't sponsor? You said work schedules - that presumes you're employed.

Just how old are you?

I don't work now.

27, 28 soon

Really? Does your Mother know of this 'plan" ?

No, I will have to tell her at some point, if I feel the relationship is real.

I think before you even go near any immigration paperwork, you ought to meet this lady in person a few times and get used to her. People behave differently in real life to how they portray themselves online most of the time. Besides which, you don't understand most of what you're being told. You can only make so many mistakes with immigration before you really screw something up.

Get to know the girl better, get to know US immigration better.

Okay, thank you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Lot's of people are critical on this website. Don't let that worry you.

I think its absolutely the right thing to research the immigration stuff as soon as possible. Even if you just met the girl last week, it's important to know the commitment you are required to make.

If you really like this girl you can make it work. It might just take some time,

Journey so far:

09/14/2012: Sent I-129F Packet

09/21/2012: NOA1 Received

04/22/2013: NOA2 Notice of approval
05/08/2013 NVC Received

06/01/2013 Packet 3 Received

06/04/2013 Packet 3 Sent

06/10/2013 Packet 4 email received

06/27/2013 First Scheduled interview-cancelled (didn't get notarized paperwork in time)

08/12/2013 K-1 interview passed!

08/28/2013 Lili Arrives in the U.S.!!!

10/04/2013 Marriage!!!

03/26/2014 AOS Approved!

04/02/2014 Received GC

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong, and think of what could go right!

Filed: Timeline

Lot's of people are critical on this website. Don't let that worry you.

I think its absolutely the right thing to research the immigration stuff as soon as possible. Even if you just met the girl last week, it's important to know the commitment you are required to make.

If you really like this girl you can make it work. It might just take some time,

okay, thanks for the reply my friend, it's confusing, i might just pay a service

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

To the OP, I am engaged to a wonderful woman from the Philippines. There will be a-lot of people who have a lot of negative things to say about the Philippines and have stories of Fraud to tell. As a US citizen, born and raised in the USA I can tell you a bunch of things.. 1) The Philippines is a very different country and the culture of the Philippines is definately something you will need to understand if not embrace if you plan to Marry this woman the best way to do that is to go to the Philippines. It does sound like that might not be finacially possible for you at the moment. 2) For a young man from the USA there are thousands and thousands of Filippino women who want to meet you and establish a meaningful, lasting and loving relationship with you no matter what you look like. But, there are many many seeking you as a way to enter the USA. My experiance is you don't marry a Filippino you marry her entire family. Also, if a Filippino woman gets married in the Philippines then it is virtually impossible for her to ever end that Marriage... (Divorce is NOT allowed in the Philippines). You'll want to be 100% sure she has never been married in the philippines, if she has then you're looking at years and lots and lots of $$$$ before she can enter the USA legally to be your wife. Technically, it is not necessary for you to travel to the Philippines but it is necessary for you to meet her in person to apply for K-1 visa and there are a lot of requirements that you must meet to show that your relationship is real. Realistically, unless she has strong ties to the Philippines it is very difficult for her to even board a flight to LEAVE the philippines even to go to say Hong Kong. My Financee and I LIVE together in Hong Kong and we just submitted a 51 page package to USCIS to prove that we have a real relationship. My point is, this is not an easy process.

-

So... I know your confused and I don't want to discourage you.. But it sounds like you are not really ready to be here and undertake this process. The harder she pushes you the more caution you should take. Go there if you possibly can.. and if you do then PLAN to stay with her and her family, don't go to Cebu, or Palawan or Boracay.. plan to stay a HER family house.. It will be HOT, the tricycles will be cramped, the water locally will make you sick, the Lambanog blindly strong, and you may not want to see rice again for a month, but if in the end of all that you look at the totatlity of the situation and find the tightknit family endearing, the simplisity of life charming and you dream of someday retiring to the "real" philippines because of all of the above you should proceed with the I-129F application. I'm not an expert by any means on immigration but I'd be happy to talk with you more about all of this if you like. We can set up a skype session if you want someone to talk to.

-

Oh... and have a serious discussion with your Mom... Family is important and my Filippino Finacee helped me realize just how much for which I'll be forever greatful.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.