zoom_

flagged by cbp ?

60 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Sweden
Timeline

On my second and third visit I was asked what I did during my previous visit and why I had come back. You must answer truthfully and honestly. Every answer given is documented. You don't want any lies of misinformation to come and bite you in the butt later down the line.....

yes i will answer truthfully. i just hope i don't confuse cbp. since last time i was there i gave them an address in wich i stayed the first night later i decided i wanted to stay with with orher relatives i (have most of my relativs in the us) same state same town just diffrent apartments ( they had more room for me) ooh -.- i even confuse my self. I think bringing their phone numbers will be good so things can get sorted out if needed

Edited by zoom_

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just simply explain that you were visiting "friends" during your last visit (this is the truth), and if they ask the purpose of this upcoming visit just say again "visiting friends".

Only answer directly to what they have asked you. Don't disclose you are visiting a boyfriend unless they specifically ask " are you visiting a boyfriend?". If they do specifically ask this, you do have to answer truthfully.

It is incredibly scary. I will never forget queuing up and going through immigration checks at the airport. I would sweat, my heart would be pounding, my knees like jelly. All I wanted was to get through, get my connection fight and be with my man LOL!!!! I wish you lots of luck and I hope everything goes just fine for you.

Edited by QueenComley

heart.gif Every love story is beautiful, but ours is my favorite heart.gif

Filed: Other Country: Sweden
Timeline

Just simply explain that you were visiting "friends" during your last visit (this is the truth), and if they ask the purpose of this upcoming visit just say again "visiting friends".

Only answer directly to what they have asked you. Don't disclose you are visiting a boyfriend unless they specifically ask " are you visiting a boyfriend?". If they do specifically ask this, you do have to answer truthfully.

It is incredibly scary. I will never forget queuing up and going through immigration checks at the airport. I would sweat, my heart would be pounding, my knees like jelly. All I wanted was to get through, get my connection fight and be with my man LOL!!!! I wish you lots of luck and I hope everything goes just fine for you.

but relatives are family? sorry english is not my first language. so i should say family right for my previous visit? yes i know my trip i moths away and i'm already nervous. thank u for the info i will not forget it.

Edited by zoom_

Yes... Im sorry... getting kids ready for bed at same time as reading VJ... must have skimmed a few details here and there.. sorry!!!

Yes... visiting family or visiting friends... or saying your doing a mixture of both is fine. Just be truthful and keep your answers short and sweet

Filed: Timeline

If you try to be clever, you will be sent home....tell the truth...those who have been admitted even when logic says something is out of whack ( who gets 6 months of vacation in a year??)...were lucky...you might not be...so....don't try to evade questions with silly answers.....and don't arrive with 5 suitcases and your resumes, or you will be turned around (denied admission) in seconds...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It does rather assume a level of stupidity on behalf of the PoE that even I would have a hard time justifying.

Your BF can not visit because of work, that is normal, well for long visits anyway, so what is your situation that does allow you to do so, obviously not a student judging by the dates.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Yes... Im sorry... getting kids ready for bed at same time as reading VJ... must have skimmed a few details here and there.. sorry!!!

Yes... visiting family or visiting friends... or saying your doing a mixture of both is fine. Just be truthful and keep your answers short and sweet

being truthful would be telling them she is visiting her boyfriend. CPB officers aren't stupid, don;t lie because it could come back to bite you in the future

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I believe the OP is being misinformed here regarding her being flagged by the CBP. It is not true and I say this based on personal experience. Before I eventually filed to adjust status, I travelled to the US about 7x. On my very first trip here, I was sent to secondary. The next three trips, I didn't even spend more than 2 min at primary inspection and was waved through. The 5th visit, I was again sent to secondary and the agent just asked me who paid for my ticket. I told him I paid and he asked me what I did for a living, which I answered and that was all. My passport was stamped and I was waived through. Next 2 entries after that I wasn't questioned about anything and was just made to enter straight from primary. So yes, even though your previous secondary examination CAN prompt another secondary exam, you are NOT flagged by the CBP for secondary questioning every time. The decision to send to secondary is only made at primary and there's no automatic way by which one will always be sent to secondary because they had previously been sent to secondary.

People please give answers to subjects you really know about. Thanks

Edited by MaleAlpha

~AOS : 09/11/2014 - 2 YR Green card received!.

~ROC 07/13/2017 - 10 YR Green card received!.

~N-400 : 10/28/2020 - N400 Interview & Approval/Oath Ceremony/US Citizen!

More Importantly, I am a proud Anti-Fascist!

Timeline

You were making 90 day trips using the VWP?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Dear OP

I visited the US 10 times before my K1 was approved. I was sent to secondary on the 9th time. They record everything you say. Just be honest and tell the truth, however, as my lawyer put it, you are only required to answer the questions they ask. Any additional info you provide is also recorded but not required.

Don't try to be a smart ###.

Make sure you are prepared for questions, have money or proof of money and a return ticket.

On my 10th visit while my 129F was pending, I provided the CBP with a notorised letter from my lawyer stating my intentions. This satisfied the primary screening and in my opinion prevented secondary screening.

Also think about the amount of luggage you bring, if you have 5 suit cases it looks like you are trying to move here.

Just my thoughts

being truthful would be telling them she is visiting her boyfriend. CPB officers aren't stupid, don;t lie because it could come back to bite you in the future

Yes sorry... that's what I meant.... Friends, family OR boyfriend.... be HONEST if asked specifics. Never lie.

Good shout smile.png

This thread has got me a bit nervous now. My boyfriend is coming to visit in a few weeks for 2.5 months. He was here in Nov for a few weeks. This will be his 3rd visit to the US in about 15 months. On none of his previous entries did he have any trouble at PoE. This time, because the airline allows it as a free large sports item in their baggage rules and because I'll be going to work and he won't have a car or anything here to get around, he was thinking of bringing his bicycle. He's only bringing one small bag of clothes in addition to that, but is that going to come across as a big red flag? He's bringing a letter from his employer, a bank statement, travel insurance for the dates of his stay, a return ticket, copy of the deed to show he owns his apartment, and some other bills.

The baggage carousel is after immigration so he won't have his suitcases or the bike when he's talking to the IO. What do you guys think? I should also specify that we're still set on doing long-distance dating for a while longer so I can work and save money and we haven't filed for a K1 yet.

Edited by Camelot13

05/14: We were married!!

06/04/14: Finally marriage license was recorded & we got a copy

06/05/14: AOS package mailed via Fed Ex overnight to USCIS Chicago Lockbox

06/06/14: (Day 00) Confirmation of delivery & receipt date recorded by USCIS

06/11/14: (Day 05) NOA 1 Hard copy of receipt received

06/13/14: (Day 07) Form I-797C received, Biometrics appointment scheduled for July 8

07/01/14: RFE for co-sponsor salary and tax info, which was already sent with original package. Resent a copy on 07/08/14.

07/08/14: (Day 32) Biometrics appt.

08/10/14: (Day 65) Noticed that USCIS status has changed from Initial Review to Testing & Interview!

08/21/14: (Day 76) Received EAD/AP in the mail!

09/25/14: (Day 111) Email notice with interview date set for OCT. 29!

10/29/14: (Day 145) Interview day - APPROVED!!!

09/21/16: Mailed in I-751 Removal of Conditions

10/14/16: Biometrics appointment

8/8/17: Mailed N-400 Naturalization Application

8/15/17: USCIS texted that they've received N-400

9/8/17: Scheduled for biometrics 

10/11/17: In Line to be Scheduled for N-400 Interview
6/23/18: N400 Interview (recommended for approval pending I751)

8/1/18: I751 Interview - approved

Timeline

I travelled with bikes.

What does he do that provides so much hol?

That's good to hear you traveled with a bike before and didn't have a problem with it. It seemed to make the most sense since I don't have a bike for him to use here so if he wanted one during his stay he'd have to buy a whole new one here, but then hearing this I was having second thoughts as to whether it would look like an extreme item to bring along on a trip.

He works on a contract basis and his boss usually writes a letter with the date when he's expected back for the next job. Although it doesn't make a ton of money, it affords him the flexibility when he needs it which we both thought would be good for this time of long-distance dating, esp now that I've got a full time job and am kind of stuck. He's got quite a lot in savings though to show he has sufficient funds for a trip.

Edited by Camelot13

05/14: We were married!!

06/04/14: Finally marriage license was recorded & we got a copy

06/05/14: AOS package mailed via Fed Ex overnight to USCIS Chicago Lockbox

06/06/14: (Day 00) Confirmation of delivery & receipt date recorded by USCIS

06/11/14: (Day 05) NOA 1 Hard copy of receipt received

06/13/14: (Day 07) Form I-797C received, Biometrics appointment scheduled for July 8

07/01/14: RFE for co-sponsor salary and tax info, which was already sent with original package. Resent a copy on 07/08/14.

07/08/14: (Day 32) Biometrics appt.

08/10/14: (Day 65) Noticed that USCIS status has changed from Initial Review to Testing & Interview!

08/21/14: (Day 76) Received EAD/AP in the mail!

09/25/14: (Day 111) Email notice with interview date set for OCT. 29!

10/29/14: (Day 145) Interview day - APPROVED!!!

09/21/16: Mailed in I-751 Removal of Conditions

10/14/16: Biometrics appointment

8/8/17: Mailed N-400 Naturalization Application

8/15/17: USCIS texted that they've received N-400

9/8/17: Scheduled for biometrics 

10/11/17: In Line to be Scheduled for N-400 Interview
6/23/18: N400 Interview (recommended for approval pending I751)

8/1/18: I751 Interview - approved

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I have been getting denied before..... Horrible experience...... Was getting asked 4h questions after 10h flight and couldn't see my (at that time) still boyfriend at all... Same situation like OP, didn't overstayed and wanted to go back to him to see him after a to short time and Germany (and I didn't had a job in Germany :-/) I wanted to stay for another 2 months :-/ we didn't do enough research about how long you have to stay outside the country at least :C,.... I travelled to him from march 25th until june 16th, 2013 (didn't overstayed) and wanted to go back in the end of june 2013 to him....like I saied we were not even allowed to see us at the airport, I was getting denied and they told us i could only come back with a visa.....

Applying for a K1 Visa right now since august 12, 2013 (with a good immigration attorney; because of even this bad experience in POE), we got our NOA2 on February 14th, 2014! Still in Process... Interview hopefully soon.

Please be careful with going back again.... I can really only say, that even when I have my Visa I'm f#### scared to pass the officer in POE again,.... Another reson why my fiance is going to be with me when we fly to america.

K1

09 August 2013 - Mailed I-129F

12 August 2013 - TSC receipt Date NOA1

18 August 2013 - NOA1 hardcopy received

09 October 2013 - Alien Registration Number changed

23 January 2014 - Orderd Service Request

05 February 2014 - Answer from USCIS: Can't tell you any timeframe when we will approve this petition

14 February 2014 - VISA APPROVED NOA2 after 6 months and 2 days goofy.gifheart.gifheart.gifheart.gifgoofy.gifdancin5hr.gif

21 February 2014 - NOA2 hardcopy received in Mail // USCIS shipped petition to NVC

24 February 2014 - Medical Appointment - passed the medical :-)

03 March 2014 - Case arrived at NVC

06 March 2014 - We got our Case # & Case left the NVC... Online Status says "In TRANSIT" :-)

10 March 2014 - Case arrived at the Consulate...

15 March 2014 - Received Packet 3 // Sent Packet 3 off same day

22 March 2014 - Received Packet 4 - Interview on March 28, 2014

28 March 2014 - Interview appointment RESULT: Approved :-)))

02 April 2014 - Visa On Hand! :-)

06 April 2014 - Finally being with my Love <3 :)

20 June 2014 - Marriage <3, Key West, Florida

AOS

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.