yailukmuu

No response from USCIS about my withdrawing my Aff of Support?

67 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Short story: Fiancee arrived November 15th on K-1. We married December 3rd. Received notice of acceptance by USCIS of Adjustment of Status on the 7th. On Jan 8th, about 15 hours after notice from USCIS my spouse simply left and moved to Arizona to be with her sister (illegal). Yup, gone, no reason, no tears, just a polite "thank you" at the airport. End of story. And yes, life was great right up until a few hours after notice of receipt by USCIS was received. And yes I had visited Cebu twice, spend about 6 weeks with her and her family. Don't think for a second that this was anything but extremely well planned and clever, and no, I believe that other than the illegal sister here in the US--they haven't a clue, just as I did not have one.

Ok--I got screwed, 'nuff of that. It was done so cleverly (apparently coached) I believe that you would have been also, even in hindsight there were no really noticeable red flags. So please let that be. Divorce in progress.

Question:

On January 15th I sent USCIS, by traceable mail a letter asking to withdraw my Affidavit of Support.

On January 27th I did an Infopass meeting locally, and handed the same withdrawal of Affidavit of Support. The USCIS agent said it was routine, and that I'd get confirmation within three weeks.

Three weeks passed yesterday.

Who/Where/How to follow up? Phone number? Or should I make a new follow-up Infopass meeting? It's an hour and a half drive but naturally, I'm willing to do it.

Also what's the time frame for completion of Adjustment of Status considering receipt by USCIS on the 7th.

What a frightening thought that somehow she might actually get a Green Card under such circumstances.

Thanks.

Edited by yailukmuu

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

If she moved to another address, the GC will only be sent to the address you listed as her residence....which is probably yours.

If you do get it in the mail, simply return it, certified and insured with another notarized letter withdrawing the AOS.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

Thank you but she was an exceptionally bright woman. I have no doubt that any necessary change of address has already been made.

Bright except that I think that she was under the misunderstanding that once USCIS accepted the AOS she was free to dump me, and didn't realize that I could withdraw my Affidavit of Support.

Is there not someplace that I can call to follow-up on on my withdrawal, to make sure that it gets processed?

Edited by yailukmuu

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K-1 Process to Effects of Major Family Changes on Immigration Benefits Forum~

~Similar topics are often discussed in this forum, past K-1~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

First, it's not illegal for your wife to move out of your home and move to another home. You're in kind of a tough place as you've already filed for AOS and along with that filing you provided the I-864, which legally binds you to providing support to her until:

1. She abandons residency in the US

2. Becomes a US citizen

3. Accumulates 40 quarters of legal work in the US

It would be a good idea for you to discuss this with an immigration family attorney so that you can protect yourself. I'm pretty sure that you MUST submit your request to withdraw in writing.

In a tough place??? There's nothing tough about it. It's called abandonment when your wife moves out of your house. I don't think he should waste any more money on this by getting an attorney. Just keep following up on the withdrawal of AOS.

OP- I would definitely make another infopass to follow up. But first try calling USCIS 800 number. I know it's usually worthless since all they do is read from their screens like robots, but maybe it'll save you a few hours driving.

Once you have confirmation that the AOS is dead, you should make a call to ICE informing them of 2 illegals in Arizona. Do you know the address?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

First, it's not illegal for your wife to move out of your home and move to another home. You're in kind of a tough place as you've already filed for AOS and along with that filing you provided the I-864, which legally binds you to providing support to her until:

1. She abandons residency in the US

2. Becomes a US citizen

3. Accumulates 40 quarters of legal work in the US

It would be a good idea for you to discuss this with an immigration family attorney so that you can protect yourself. I'm pretty sure that you MUST submit your request to withdraw in writing.

This isn't true until the adjustment is approved he has wiggle room but he has to stay on it and I would do another INFOPASS call my senator (I bet that's a new one for them to stop immigrant).

But you are doing the right thing. And please don't beat yourself up about it. It hurts like hell and this too will pass, but now no tears lets get this done. All smiles.goofy.gif

Edited by dwheels76

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Thus, if you enter into a bona fide marriage, but unfortunately the US citizen spouse dies, or the marriage ends in divorce before the USCIS makes a decision on the application for K1 adjustment of status, don't panic. The 9th Circuit's holdings in Freeman vs. Gonzalez and Choin vs. Mukasey may save you from deportation and allow you to adjust your status to permanent resident.

Bona fide marriage?.... I'd say that somebody who gets up and leaves with no reason 1 day after receipt of the AOS case is pretty clearly not in a "bona fide marriage". You disagree?

Edited by Eric-Pris

OP has been correctly advised to pull the I-864 and notify the USCIS accordingly.

By doing so, his wife AOS won't be approved without any Affidavit of Support.

He could also be on the hook if she claims any kind of abuse.

On the hook for what? His wife could file for VAWA as she wishes if she could prove any kind of abuse and must show a bona fide marriage on top of that

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Timeline

He could also be on the hook if she claims any kind of abuse.

Nah, too late now for that. I tracked her, found her living with the illegal alien sister, my lawyer has already served divorce papers, she has already responded... to claim abuse now would be sort of ludicrous.

Not saying that it couldn't happen but it no longer seems a real option for her.

Trust me for weeks the thought of a fake VAWA claim worried me.

Timeline

In a tough place??? There's nothing tough about it. It's called abandonment when your wife moves out of your house. I don't think he should waste any more money on this ###### by getting an attorney. Just keep following up on the withdrawal of AOS.

OP- I would definitely make another infopass to follow up. But first try calling USCIS 800 number. I know it's usually worthless since all they do is read from their screens like robots, but maybe it'll save you a few hours driving.

Once you have confirmation that the AOS is dead, you should make a call to ICE informing them of 2 illegals in Arizona. Do you know the address?

Yes Eric, I do though she is not illegal, remember she can stay 180 days beyond her Visa allowance and incur no penalty.

Also, I have learned that it is very wise to think about revenge. I've always liked the Chinese proverb: "Before seeking revenge, first dig two graves."

In my small state of NH, there are over 10,000 illegal aliens working this week. As CN-Trav has said, there's no law preventing her from moving out, if only because fraud in this case is not provable. But I'm aware of my options.

OP- are you using 2 handles? yailukmuu or SteveXXJuliet?

The first post was under a different handle. tongue.png

In any case, good luck and hope the can't cause you any more grief than she already has.

Edited by Eric-Pris

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Short story: Fiancee arrived November 15th on K-1. We married December 3rd. Received notice of acceptance by USCIS of Adjustment of Status on the 7th. On Jan 8th, about 15 hours after notice from USCIS my spouse simply left and moved to Arizona to be with her sister (illegal). Yup, gone, no reason, no tears, just a polite "thank you" at the airport. End of story. And yes, life was great right up until a few hours after notice of receipt by USCIS was received. And yes I had visited Cebu twice, spend about 6 weeks with her and her family. Don't think for a second that this was anything but extremely well planned and clever, and no, I believe that other than the illegal sister here in the US--they haven't a clue, just as I did not have one.

Ok--I got screwed, 'nuff of that. It was done so cleverly (apparently coached) I believe that you would have been also, even in hindsight there were no really noticeable red flags. So please let that be. Divorce in progress.

Question:

On January 15th I sent USCIS, by traceable mail a letter asking to withdraw my Affidavit of Support.

On January 27th I did an Infopass meeting locally, and handed the same withdrawal of Affidavit of Support. The USCIS agent said it was routine, and that I'd get confirmation within three weeks.

Three weeks passed yesterday.

Who/Where/How to follow up? Phone number? Or should I make a new follow-up Infopass meeting? It's an hour and a half drive but naturally, I'm willing to do it.

Also what's the time frame for completion of Adjustment of Status considering receipt by USCIS on the 7th.

What a frightening thought that somehow she might actually get a Green Card under such circumstances.

Thanks.

Another infopass and

mail the letters again,

to the address listed in each receipt notice that you've gotten after filing the AOS set. First Class Certified Mail with signature, IMO, is perfectly fine.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

It's not for me to agree or disagree. That's for the court to decide after they've heard the evidence. That's why I suggest he get an attorney.

Her trying to use the Court doesn't seem likely in this case, for a number of odd reasons. Note, I say likely, not impossible.

Some of the odd facts:

My spouse did not believe I could find her. All I knew was "Phoenix, AZ"

But I did, I tracked sis's phone, found the location ~8 square miles in Surprise, Az. Found the name of the owner of the phone which was a reverse and corrupted version of reality. Then using house sale/purchase found a sale + purchase (nice, too +$25,000 for flipping) in that area, the sale/purchase gave me true names and current address. Can you say "Surprise?"

Sis, apparently lives with husband, I'm told both are illegal.

Sis travels back and forth to Cebu annually, each time buying a house or land. (3 houses + 1 parcel of land in Bohol/4 years--not bad)

Sis was purportedly working as an LNA, but AZ's Board of nursing, (public info) shows that sis has failed the LNA exam 4x.

Things fall into place--I remembered that sis was paying for brother's auto mechanic training and had promised brother entry into the US on a work visa.

Let's look at the above.

My theory is simple: Sis hold's a purchased H1-B. Sis believes that she can purchase an illegal H1-B for brother from the same source. Why? Because sis doesn't even have the skills of an LNA, meaning sis has no eligible H1-B skills. How else can someone "illegal" (which is how my spouse put it) travel back and forth to Cebu? Answer: Purchased H1-B. How else could sis tell brother that he could come to the US? Again the only answer is illegal (purchased) H1-B. Hey a few years ago the going rate was a paltry $2500 for 3 years. Maybe sis hold's a "Health Alimentary Elimination Supervisory Engineer" H1-B (= bed pan emptier and butt wiper).

So if I were to complain to ICE, perhaps complaining about my spouse is not the way to go.

The reality: I simply want her to divorce me, and return home, if she does that I'll even pay for the ticket. If not...

Place yourself in the above position, if true (and I can think of no other explanation) the family's whole house of cards could collapse.

Timeline

Oops...sorry I had two accounts open...

I now use yailukmuu, StevexxJuliet is the account I opened just after she left.

This account actually is a very old account that I resurrected. Yailukmuu means "big pig." Way back I had a Thai gf and we were to be married, but the birth father of her child, to accommodate grandparent's wishes forbade the child's removal from Thailand. Thailand's embassy is very unlike Manila--In Thailand, you get birthparent permission--or the child never leaves.

I'm not trying to pull a fast one and will extinguish the StevexxJuliet as it's nasty to now even think of the name combination. Originally it was Juliet and Steve (careful--there is an unrelated account named Steve and Juliet.

I opened that account after CN Trav posted, to go back and look at what was said way back immediately after she left.

Sorry about the confusion.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.