scsummers

unusual k1 petition

68 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Please do not reply with answers to hypothetical situations. I am providing all the information.

My woman came the the USA from the Philippines on a k1 visa. She did not marry the sponsor. Her k1 expired yesterday.

Now we have met, we want to get married. She is living with me in the USA. She will stay less than 6 months so she does not incur a 3 or 10 year ban. We want to apply for a new K1 visa. Can we do that while she is still in the USA? We know that she will have to return to the Philippines for the consular interview.

You cannot renew the K-1, and you cannot adjust her status. The K-1 is very restrictive, and by not marrying the sponsor she has NO path to living in the US legally without leaving first.

She needs to leave the US and you need to file for your own visa for her. You can start the petition process now, while she is in the US.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

She need to leave since the visa expires. If she waits for the new K1 visa in the U.S. She will be overstaying.

-I am the Beneficiary-
event.png

K1 (I-129F) petition filed in August 2013 (Approved Feb 20th 2014)
13th May 2014: AOS (I-485) & EAD/AP combo card
21st May 2014: NOA 1 and biometric letter
11th June 2014: biometric appointment
13th June 2014: RFE received via mail
16th June 2014: replied to RFE
6th August 2014: EAD Approved, AP still in initial review
12th August 2014: got tracking number for EAD
( ) August 2014: Received EAD (I forgot what date I got them but I did receive them less than 5 days from the 12th)
10th September 2014: Interview Waiver received (I wished I was interviewed)
April 23, 2015, we registered your permanent resident status and mailed you a Welcome Notice

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Welcome to the forum.

Her K-1 visa was cancelled the second she entered the US at her POE. The K-1 visa is a one-way, one-time visa. She had 90 days to get married to her USC petitioner. If she did not get married to her original USC petitioner within 90 days of her US arrival, she needs to go back home, or be in violation of US immigration laws.

Here is the lowdown on K-1 visa process from USCIS, nothing hypothetical:

http://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens/fiancee-visa/fiancee-visas

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

This did not answer my question. Can we apply for a new k1 while she is still in the US.

quote name="A&B" post="6823574" timestamp="1392483328"]

Welcome to the forum.

Her K-1 visa was cancelled the second she entered the US at her POE. The K-1 visa is a one-way, one-time visa. She had 90 days to get married to her USC petitioner. If she did not get married to her original USC petitioner within 90 days of her US arrival, she needs to go back home, or be in violation of US immigration laws.

Here is the lowdown on K-1 visa process from USCIS, nothing hypothetical:

http://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens/fiancee-visa/fiancee-visas

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

This did not answer my question. Can we apply for a new k1 while she is still in the US.

If her previous petition has been withdrawn by the petitioner, then you can start filling out the paperwork and having her sign the things you need original signatures on, yes. However, she needs to leave the country immediately or else she's overstaying and will receive appropriate bans.

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

Timeline

Thanks. This is very helpful. Just needed to know if we could start the application process here. I am hoping we get an interview date within 6 months, theat way she only has to return to the Philippines for a short time.

Does anyone know if a hardship waiver might apply in this case. I am a disabled vet and her leaving for an extended period of time will be an extreme hardship for me.

You cannot renew the K-1, and you cannot adjust her status. The K-1 is very restrictive, and by not marrying the sponsor she has NO path to living in the US legally without leaving first.

She needs to leave the US and you need to file for your own visa for her. You can start the petition process now, while she is in the US.

Filed: Timeline

She has to depart, do not petition a k1 until the first one is officially

cancelled, or it will likely show 2 petitions, once she enter that visa

expired, with no marriage she cannot adjust by any other means

Take this time to take pics showing you in a relationship now B4

she leaves, go visit her in her own country once, and take time to

know her its not an overnite thing....ppl don't fall in & out of love at

the drop of a hat....there may be some scrutinity from uscis

No hardship waiver is in the mix and they would ask how U have

been existing, It'll definitely be longer than 6 mths

Edited by Jawaree

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

yes you can apply while she is in the usa, but she will need to return for the interview/etc.

EDIT: Someone below said this was incorrect. Consult the post below.

Edited by JejeAndSar

Yes, you can petition her. However, you have zero chance of approval.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

How about just marrying her and then file for a spousal visa. She returns to the PI to interview. She comes back with an immigrant visa.

The spousal visa saves on the cost of adjusting an she can immediately work. The K-1 requires adjusting and several months waiting for an EAD/AP.

The only risk is not gettin the visa and be married living in two countries.

Thanks. This is very helpful. Just needed to know if we could start the application process here. I am hoping we get an interview date within 6 months, theat way she only has to return to the Philippines for a short time.

Does anyone know if a hardship waiver might apply in this case. I am a disabled vet and her leaving for an extended period of time will be an extreme hardship for me.

Not sure what you'd be waiving.

You can file the petition now, as I said, but there may be an issue with having another petition still active in the system, when you get to the visa stage.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.