Howlong?

I-130 for parents and sister

20 posts in this topic

Hi!

I'm just awaiting for my interview to become a US citizen. I'm planning to bring my parents and sister to the US. Do you know the current processing times for parents and siblings? I read somewhere online that you can bring your siblings in 18 months. Is that true? Is the processing time for siblings being reduced? (My sister is 22-years-old).

Thanks

Edited by Howlong?

ogmom4.png

Marriage: 2007-10-20

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-28

I-130 Approved : 2009-09-15

NVC Received : 2010-08-17

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2010-09-01

Pay I-864 Bill 2010-09-01

Receive I-864 Package : 2010-09-03

Return Completed DS-3032 : 2010-09-01

Receive IV Bill : 2010-09-14

Pay IV Bill : 2010-09-17

Case Completed at NVC : 2010-09-23

NVC Left : 2010-09-23

Consulate Received : 2010-09-27

Case was expedited to consulate in Santo Domingo on 09/23/2010.

Packet 4 received: 10/20/2010 (my anniversary!! and good news)

Interview Date: 10/28/2010

Consulate - Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Medical: 10/21/2010

Results: pick up on 10/27/2010

VISA APPROVED

Passport received: 11/04/2010

U.S

POE at Orlando, FL: 11/18/2010

Welcome Letter: 12/11/2010

Green Card: 12/20/2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline

You can check for yourself by seeing the most recent Visa Bulletin http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/law-and-policy/bulletin/2014/visa-bulletin-for-march-2014.html

Siblings are an F-4 category. The date shown in the monthly chart shows the dates of the I-130s for which they are willing to allow the submission of an I-485 (AOS) for consideration. Currently, for any country not China, India, Mexico, or the Phillipines, that date is 08NOV01 ... which would suggest a wait time of about 13.5 years ... not 18 months.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Your parents will process quicker than your sibling. Make plans accordingly

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Petition for your parents first. Once your parents immigrate, one of them can file i130 for your sister (their daughter).

Daughter will be under the F2B category, given that she's presently UNMARRIED. She will immigrate in 8 YEARS. She must remain unmarried during the entire process.

If you as a sibling, file i130, it will take 13 YEARS before your sister can immigrate (regardless if she's single or married). They will not reduce the waiting time. If immigration bill will pass, it will eliminate the sibling category (F4).

Edited by apple21

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Petition for your parents first. Once your parents immigrate, one of them can file i130 for your sister (their daughter).

Daughter will be under the F2B category, given that she's presently UNMARRIED. She will immigrate in 8 YEARS. She must remain unmarried during the entire process.

If you as a sibling, file i130, it will take 13 YEARS before your sister can immigrate (regardless if she's single or married). They will not reduce the waiting time. If immigration bill will pass, it will eliminate the sibling category (F4).

Please stop with the "if immigration bill will pass, it will eliminate the sibling category (F4)."

The Republicans have stated that they will not deal with Obama on immigration reform (grab a newspaper from the last week). They will wait to negotiate with the next President.

Furthermore, the is no agreement about immigration reform.

Eliminating the F4 category is just one of many proposals.

There is no way for you to correctly predict that immigration reform WILL include eliminating the F4 category.

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Please stop with the "if immigration bill will pass, it will eliminate the sibling category (F4)."

The Republicans have stated that they will not deal with Obama on immigration reform (grab a newspaper from the last week). They will wait to negotiate with the next President.

Furthermore, the is no agreement about immigration reform.

Eliminating the F4 category is just one of many proposals.

There is no way for you to correctly predict that immigration reform WILL include eliminating the F4 category.

Ok, fine. laughing.gif

Filed: Country: El Salvador
Timeline

Ok, fine. laughing.gif

Apple21 has a good point. The immigration bill might or might not pass and there will changes if it passes. Apple21 is only encoraging for those who have not started the process to start it ASAP before the laws change.

Aaron2020, it is truly naive to predict what congress would or would not approve, and it is very rude to tell people to "please stop" expressing their opinions.

Timeline

Apple21 has a good point. The immigration bill might or might not pass and there will changes if it passes. Apple21 is only encoraging for those who have not started the process to start it ASAP before the laws change.

Aaron2020, it is truly naive to predict what congress would or would not approve, and it is very rude to tell people to "please stop" expressing their opinions.

It's very naive of you to think anyone will know what will be in immigration reform when Congress and the President don't know.

It's dangerous to make conclusions about immigration reform before Congress and the President discuss the terms.

Opinions are fine. Just don't express them as facts.

So how is it rude exactly to ask people to please post responsibly by not posting opinions as facts?

You also mentioned "the immigration bill." Could you please point me to "the immigration bill" that you are discussing? (Please make it a current proposal and not something already abandoned by its authors.)

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Also if the petition is filed before reform the filed petitions will continue on. The government would hate to refund the already cashed checks so they will let those petitions continue.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Hi!

I'm just awaiting for my interview to become a US citizen. I'm planning to bring my parents and sister to the US. Do you know the current processing times for parents and siblings? I read somewhere online that you can bring your siblings in 18 months. Is that true? Is the processing time for siblings being reduced? (My sister is 22-years-old).

Thanks

Howlong?,

It's all a matter of luck. Some people say they had to wait over 12 years, some say they haven't. I petitioned for my sister and dad on 2/2013 & up to this month both cases were moving together. My dad's case was just approved and forwarded to NVC, and my sister's case I received a RFE and they're reviewing it. Hopefully they will get back to me soon. So as far as USCIS, after my case was transferred they moved pretty quick.

Now regarding NVC and how long my sister will have to wait for a visa, we will see on that.ClockWatch2.gifClockWatch2.gif Hopefully I'll be lucky since she's only 7 years old.

Good Luck on your Journey. !

Waiting to file...

Filed: Timeline

Howlong?,

It's all a matter of luck. Some people say they had to wait over 12 years, some say they haven't. I petitioned for my sister and dad on 2/2013 & up to this month both cases were moving together. My dad's case was just approved and forwarded to NVC, and my sister's case I received a RFE and they're reviewing it. Hopefully they will get back to me soon. So as far as USCIS, after my case was transferred they moved pretty quick.

Now regarding NVC and how long my sister will have to wait for a visa, we will see on that.ClockWatch2.gifClockWatch2.gif Hopefully I'll be lucky since she's only 7 years old.

Hi Kendyc13

Did you submit 2 separate I130 files for your dad and sister ?

Or did you add your young sister on your dad's form ?

I am interested in your situation ;

Thanks for your answer

Stella

Hi Kendyc13

Did you submit 2 separate I130 files for your dad and sister ?

Or did you add your young sister on your dad's form ?

I am interested in your situation ;

Thanks for your answer

Stella

Hi Stella,

I submitted different I-130s ... Siblings cant be added to parents petitions unfortunately.

Also, my sister's case was updated about 10 mins ago saying that the alien registration number has been changed. Not sure what that means but thats what they did to my dads case too. Hopefully I should be getting my NOA2 by the end of day today or tomorrow. :)

Waiting to file...

Timeline

Howlong?,

Luck has nothing to do with this.

When a USC petitions for a parent, only the parent gets a visa.

Petitions for brothers and sisters (no matter what age) must be processes in the F4 category where it takes 12-24 years.

There is no luck that can change the law to allow the sibling to immigrate with the parent.

Filed: IR-5 Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Agreed - you will get your NOA2 quickly enough and then it will be years of waiting for your little sister unfortunately.

I-130 for both parents

March 28th 2013 - Priority date/ NOA 1
November 14th 2013 - Transferred to Nebraska Service Center

January 7th 2014 - Case changed online to approved for both

January 8th 2014 - case changed to shipped to NVC

January 9th 2014 - case changed to NOA 2 mailed

January 10th 2014 - Received the hardcopy of the NOA 2 stating that NVC would issue a case number in 30 days approx.

January 21st 2014 - Case Received at NVC

February 26th 2014 - Case numbers and IIN number received - Wrong embassy code assigned...now waiting for new case numbers.

March 3rd 2014 - Filled in DS-261 for both parents

March 5th 2014- AOS available, paid and submitted AOS packet.

March 6th 2014 - USPS shows packet was delivered at NVC

March 10th 2014 - AOS shows as paid in the CEAC portal/AOS logged into system as being received by NVC.

March 11th 2014 - New case number assigned for my Dad.

March 20th 2014 - Paid IV fee for my Mum.

March 25th 2014 - AOS accepted by NVC with no checklist.

March 26th 2014 - Filled in and submitted DS-260 for my Mum

March 31st 2014 - AOS found in my Mum's file for my Dad - accepted and placed into his file/IV fee available for my Dad and Paid.

April 1st - Mailed all civil documents to NVC for both parents.

April 3rd: IV fee shows as paid in portal/submitted DS-260 for my Dad.

April 22nd: checklist issued for civil documents - NVC error ...

April 23rd: sent another certified copy of my marriage certificate

April 24th: Case complete! :)

April 30th 2014 - Medical scheduled for parents at Knightsbridge in London

June 11th: Interview at London Embassy - Approved :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.