Tee and Megan

Birth Certificate

9 posts in this topic

I know this has doubtless been addressed 400 times throughout the history of these forums, but I have to ask again to silence at least some of my anxiety regarding this process.

At any time throughout this process will my foreign fiance be asked to submit a copy of his birth certificate?

When we had it translated into English the translator spelled my fiance's father's name wrong and in my perpetual anxiety I am worried they'll somehow know and give us an RFE.

All that we are and all that will be we dedicate to the One who brought us together

Timeline:

K-1 Journey:

Petition sent: 03/27/2014

Interview date!!! 10/06/2014

AOS:

Packet received at Chicago Lockbox: 2/2/2015

EAD approved! 2/26/2015

AP approved! 2/26/2015

Green card received!! 09/24/2015

ROC: 

I-751 sent off to CSC: 7/25/2017

NOA1: 7/27/2017

Filed Inquiry into Biometrics status: 9/18/2017

10 Year Green Card Approved!!! 10/22/2018

Next Stop, Citizenship! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Yes, it will be required at the interview. If he is interviewing in his birth country, the birth certificate does not need to be translated as the consular officers will be able to speak/translate the native language to Englsh.

Flying to Seattle on 6 May 2014!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

I know this has doubtless been addressed 400 times throughout the history of these forums, but I have to ask again to silence at least some of my anxiety regarding this process.

At any time throughout this process will my foreign fiance be asked to submit a copy of his birth certificate?

When we had it translated into English the translator spelled my fiance's father's name wrong and in my perpetual anxiety I am worried they'll somehow know and give us an RFE.

They will need the beneficiary's birth certificate during the interview.

Our Story

April 2012 - Met in my hometown

Sept 6, 2012 - Trip to the Philippines

Sept 7, 2012 - Officially a couple

Dec 3-7, 2012 - Trip to Hong Kong!

April 20, 2013 - I went to Guam biggrin.png

May 2013 - Came back and he proposed!

Jan 3, 2014 - Official engagement according to my custom

K1 Visa Journey

August 28, 2013 - Mailed I-129F

Sept 10, 2013 - NOA1 (hardcopy)

Oct 2, 2013 - NOA2

Nov 6, 2013 - NVC received (Case creation date)

Nov 8, 2013 - NVC left

Nov 12, 2013 - Embassy received

Nov 22, 2013 - CEAC status updated (p3 sent to me)

Nov 29, 2013 - Received P3

Dec 2, 2013 - Replied P3

Dec 4, 2013 - CEAC status updated (Embassy received P3)

Dec 13, 2013 - CEAC status updated (interview date assigned - Called DoS to get it)

Dec 16, 2013 - Medical in Kuching - Passed

Dec 20, 2013 - Received P4 hardcopy

Jan 9, 2013 - RESULT: APPROVED!!!!!

heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif

I have my birth certificate in my own language and the US consulate asked for the translation by a sworn-in translator that they are registered and approved by the US embassy. But you'll need it for the interview. Good luck!

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

Thanks everyone!

The only way you can tell his father's name is misspelled is by comparing it to his father's Cambodian ID. We've already filled out all the forms with the translator's incorrect spelling. Do any of you think we should redo everything and have the certificate re-translated? Or will the embassy go with the translator's spelling? Sorry this is so nit picky.

All that we are and all that will be we dedicate to the One who brought us together

Timeline:

K-1 Journey:

Petition sent: 03/27/2014

Interview date!!! 10/06/2014

AOS:

Packet received at Chicago Lockbox: 2/2/2015

EAD approved! 2/26/2015

AP approved! 2/26/2015

Green card received!! 09/24/2015

ROC: 

I-751 sent off to CSC: 7/25/2017

NOA1: 7/27/2017

Filed Inquiry into Biometrics status: 9/18/2017

10 Year Green Card Approved!!! 10/22/2018

Next Stop, Citizenship! 

Thanks everyone!

The only way you can tell his father's name is misspelled is by comparing it to his father's Cambodian ID. We've already filled out all the forms with the translator's incorrect spelling. Do any of you think we should redo everything and have the certificate re-translated? Or will the embassy go with the translator's spelling? Sorry this is so nit picky.

Bring to the US embassy the correct one. I have single name on my birth certificate and use my father's first name as my surname/last name on my passport since he only has a single name as well. Though It is different name on my both legal papers but US embassy in Jakarta knew naming system in my country, so no big deal. Some other user here her name misspelled on passport and the US embassy in Jakarta asked her to get correct one. Don't worry, just tell them about that at the interview.They will go to the original birth certificate.

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

It will be fine since you are already submitted to NVC, but correct it and bring it to the embassy during interview, if embassy ask, then explain.

Nothing submitted to the NVC for a K-1.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.