Matt_Stevens

Are we completely insane?

48 posts in this topic

i think you can safely put everyone's fears to rest once your fiance(e) comes to the US and you marry and have been successfully living together happily for awhile.

they care about you ... that's why they worry. love does not equal happily ever after. many have been burned, used, and abused ... but the same can be said for same-country marriages ... only time can tell.

best of luck to you!! :thumbs:

line_bar_12d.gifline_bar_12d.gif

Music___Lennon___Imagine_by_jjjean6.png

Faith: not wanting to know what is true.~Nietzsche~

“The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is.”

~Winston Churchill~

text___just_be_animated_colour_by_j.gif

line_bar_12d.gifline_bar_12d.gif

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Oh well... I'm still having serious issues with my family, especialy my mother. She could never understand why I would want to be with a man 20 years older and from another country. Oh, I met him on the net too, and of course that means that I'm not quite normal and probably should have been going out more. She has said so much about me and my relationship, that I really give up - I just hope she will understand after a while.

My parents' biggest concern was that my hubby wanted to rip me off and somehow through me steal all their money. Before I left for CA to do my studies (and my folks knew that my sweetheart was going to move to CA as well - to be with me!!! Woo Hoo!!), my dad had clearly stated that he was not going to support my husband and pay his bills. What a BS... It was hard to convince them of our good intentions, mostly because something like that had happened to their friends before - their daughter married a guy from another country, and eventually he stole $500,000 from her account and disappeared, after verbally and emotionally abusing her for nearly 8 years. I imagine, it's hard to have faith in people after something like that. I just hope they will see how happy I am in time.

Friends were mostly okay with my choice, though, except for the fact that it had all started on the net :)

Best of luck to you!!!

08/24/2005 - Arrived in the U.S. as an F-1 student.

01/25/2006 - Married my LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

***AOS***

08/29/2006 - Medical

09/13/2006 - Package sent to Chicago

09/15/2006 - Package received in Chicago

09/23/2006 - Checks cashed

09/25/2006 - NOA for I-130, AOS and EAD

09/26/2006 - All forms touched

10/05/2006 - I-130 and EAD touched

10/10/2006 - I-130 and EAD touched again

10/10/2006 - RFE for AOS (email). Grrr...

10/11/2006 - RFE received. It's for I-864...

.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Ummm at first my parents were wary of me getting married at all - but they've known Stewart the whole five years I have. I think it is different for me since we met in person.

I guess i've had it easy.

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

i think an adult must make the decision based on his/her potential happiness..if it is not supported by family and friends..that is their opinion and should not effect a person's decision unless they are emotionally dependent .....brother dean

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

My family is the opposite................they wonder why he would want to come here to be with me :lol:

My parents think he is a saint! If they only knew :whistle:

Ni neart go cur le cheile

"Togetherness is Strength"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

When I went off to Egypt alone the first time, family thought I was insane and would be kidnapped as soon as I landed. My mom came up with a safeword for me to say over the phone in case I was being held hostage, so they would know they had to rescue me. :wacko:

Then when they realized that we were serious about gettin married, mom decided that my entire immidiate family (parents, brother and sister) needed to take a vacation in Egypt to meet his family. As soon as we landed, mother complained about everything and anything. It's a third world country, of course there will be donkey carts blocking the road and the shower won't be like a holiday inn!

Now that we're here together and married, they still have a bit of trepidation, still think we're insane, but they're opening up slowly. At this rate, we'll be welcomed into the family as normal members some time in the 2020s.

Yup, we're insane and lovin it :luv:

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

It's a miracle my parents let him come here in the first place, I mean, I was only 16 when he came to visit!

I still get looks from people when I say I met him on the internet. Once I say 6 years ago they tend to be like, o ok, he isn't some guy you met a month ago and could be some weird stalker :P

:yes: Same here!! :lol: But I was 18 and not 16.....but treated like a 14 y/o :blush:

Well, I can understand them just trying to look out for me :)

I've never even asked James how his parents felt about it......

Naturalization

=======================================

02/02/2015 - Filed Dallas lockbox. Atlanta office.

02/13/2015 - NOA received

03/10/2015 - Biometrics

03/12/2015 - In-Line for Interview

04/09/2015 - E-notification for Interview Letter

05/18/2015 - Interview - passed!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Some of my friends have met their s/o on a website, even if the person lives a town away or an ocean apart-when you know you have found that person-you just know :yes:

I think people will always be a little skeptical about long distance relationships(especially when it involves green cards/the immigration process or whatever). I am vey lucky, my friends and family have been extremely supportive. They may worry about all the stress involved, but they know that I woudn't be going through it if he weren't worth it! I think his family feels the same way.

Ni neart go cur le cheile

"Togetherness is Strength"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I dated a guy in Virginia for a while which my parents heartily disapproved of, partly because we met online and partly because he had some, shall we say "issues" which were not compatible with my plans for the future (like a lousy pot habit).

I met my hubby whilst we were working on a cruiseship together, and once they'd gotten over the initial shock my parents have been great. They're actually flying into Portland on Friday to meet Chris for the first time, so keep your fingers crossed for me!

:star:

Make sure you're wearing clean knickers. You never know when you'll be run over by a bus.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

My parents expected it from me since we lived all over the world my whole life anyway, and for me to stay in one place and not move to other countries was just not me, so they figured i would meet someone somewhere other than USA.

His whole family took it great. We all got along the moment we met.

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

"VJ Timelines are only an estimate, they are not actual approval dates! They only reflect VJ members. VJ Timelines do not include the thousands of applicants who do not use VJ"

IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE SITE, PLEASE READ THE GUIDES BEFORE ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS. THE GUIDES ARE VERY HELPFUL AND WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

my family was supportive I guess... they were all a little shocked when I told them I was going to fly by myself to go meet him.... I have no idea what they might have said behind my back and I know things were probbaly said :P... I know my mom :whistle:

but when he came for a visit 3 weeks later and met my family they all liked him... my mom says he fits right into our family (hubby said he isn't sure if that is a good thing or not :P:lol: )

his family didn't really know about us until right before the wedding.... his brother's knew he was seeing me but they didn't know it was serious and his parent's knew a little about me but not much .. he lived with them for a few months and they knew he was talking to someone ..... his sister was shocked when she found out about the wedding ... she hadn't known anything about me really and she had a talk with David , asking him if he was sure he wanted to get married....

but now his family really likes me, I think... I know his mom does.... a few weeks ago she said to David, "make sure and take MY Marilyn out for a nice dinner" :lol: I thought that was soo cute... his parents didn't think it was strange at all about how we met or anything....

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Very similar situation to silly_chick regarding my parents. Met my husband online, he's 20 years older than me. Mum was NOT impressed to put it mildly. Said things like it was disgusting and suggested that I needed mental treatment, that it was unatural and unhealthy, and why wouldn't I get back with my ex, he was so nice and the same age, etc. Things between us were very bad for a while. They weren't at my wedding, which was painful and my sister still has problems with it and we haven't spoken really since I got married.

However, I think they're slowly coming around to the idea. They flew into Chicago to spend a few days with us between Christmas and New Year and they've even invited us to stay for a month in April/May, so that's got to be progress, right? Also talked about having some kind of ceremony in England for us during that time. I think the key has been that they're got to know my husband now and see that our relationship is good and strong etc.

Good Luck to all

Kate

PS//There is a precedent in my family for age gaps, my grandpa is 20 years older than my grandmother, and their marriage seemed to work out just fine.

AOS TIMELINE

16th December 2005 - Sent I-130, AOS, EAD & AP USPS overnight to Chicago Lockbox

18th December 2005 - Received at Chicago 9.18pm.

23rd December 2005 - NOAs for I-130, AOS, EAD, AP!! Didn't expect them that quickly

13th January 2006 - RFE for Medical and additional I-864 info

17th January 2006 - INFOPASS Apt about RFE.

23rd January 2006 - Appointment notice for Biometrics on 10th Feb.

10th February 2006 - Biometrics Appointment

21st February 2006 - Medical. Cost $250 including all blood tests, Td Shot, TB test and Titers for MMR and Varicella.

27th February 2006 - Appointment with immigration lawyer re. RFE for I-864.

1st March 2006 - Final results Medical. Papers in hand to send.

10th March 2006 - RFE responses to Lees Summit

13th March 2006 - RFE responses signed for at Lees Summit

24th March 2006 - Emergency AP approved in Omaha

28th March 2006- Collected AP

31st March 2006 - EAD Approval online

7th April 2006 - EAD arrived in mailbox.

21st April 2006- Received Interview Date for 22nd June

9th May 2006- Received SSN

22nd June 2006- AOS INTERVIEW APPROVED

REMOVING CONDITIONS

June 20 2008 - Package mailed to CSC under new rules. Would have been an NSC transfer

June 23 2008 - Package recieved at CSC

June 27 2008 - Recieve NOA1

July 16 2008 - Biometrics

July 17 2008 - Touched

September 9 2008 - Card production ordered

To make the long story short. My Dad is French-American. He met my mother, a French-West Indian from Guadeloupe. Together they travelled to Puerto Rico, Panama, San Domingo, Venezuela, and much, much later, they settled in Guyana where my brother and I were born (L) . My husband is African and my children French-African-American. I guess insanity goes in our genes. Celebrate diversity.

Sometimes I think I know everything, and I regain consciousness. Seen it all, done it all, forgot most of it....

So much plenitude, yet so much emptiness

everest-summit.jpg

The Journey, Part I: I-129F (K-3)

I 129F sent to Chicago 11/14/05

NOA1 12/14/05, received by snail mail 12/23/05

NOA2 01/17/06, received by snail mail 01/20/05

Received Packet "3" 02/17/06

Medicals done in Nairobi 03/22/06

VISA APPROVED in Nairobi 03/30/06

Husband arrives ni USA!

The Journey, Part II: EAD and AOS

EAD mailed to Chicago 05/17/06

horserun.gif

OMG Marilyn that avatar is hysterical!!

Ok, so you might have read about what my boss put me through during my "work review" where I was practically interrogated and told that my then fiancee was marrying me for a green card.

Then a good friend told me on my birthday about a friend of hers who got married to a canadian and the girl got the green card and then claimed abuse. So she was sure that it was going to happen to me. All i could say was "dogs have eyes. does that mean everyone who has eyes is a dog?" she just said HUH? BTW she is married to GUESS WHAT? a canadian. BA HA HA! :lol:

Then my 2 best friends came over and watched our wedding video. When it was over I looked at my one friend who was bawling, and my other friend said "OH MY anyone who doubts this guy loves you needs to see this video!!" My husband never stopped staring at me the entire service, except to do the candle thingie. It really is cute that he looks so HAPPY during the service.

The funny thing is, my mom, the one person I was afraid to tell, embraced the whole thing so wonderfully, not a peep, negative thought, concern. I think she was just SO EXCITED that I finally got married. :P

Married 12-30-05

Started our visa journey Jan 06.

01-06 - I-130, K3 shortly after

04-06 - switched to Canada Immigration

07-06 - Moved to Canada (PR almost complete)

07-06 - Changed again, back to US imm.

09-06 - Landed as Canadian PR

10-06 - DCF Toronto, Approved in 1.5 hrs!

11-06 - Interview Montreal (success!)

I-130

10-05-06 DCF in Toronto - Approved

10-19-06 Packet 3 received & sent back

10-20-06 Montreal receives P3

11-03-06 Packet 4 received

11-06-06 Medical

11-22-06 Interview / Visa approved

11-26-06 heading home, 6 day drive, my oh my

HOME SWEET HOME

10.24.08 - Mailed I-751 to CSC

Delivered at 9:03 AM on October 25, 2008

10.29.08 NOA1

10.30.08 Check cashed

12.06.08 Biometrics Appt.

12.19.08 Received new Drivers License extended to 2011

03.12.09 Received CONGRATULATIONS letter - Card on the way!!

03.20.09 Received his SHINY new card. WOO HOOOOOOO

YAY!! We can take a break from this madness until Citizenship.