76 posts in this topic

Yes ongoing relationship is needed but there is also a provision for divorce waivers if she can prove her case, i want to think she is forward thinking and planned ahead or else she is a very foolish woman to have done that prematurely

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Ok something new a learned ....i thought she need to proved ongoing relationship with the usc to get the permanent

Not if divorced. No its not a cake walk but many have divorced soon as they get here for no fault of their own things just don't work out.

When you get divorce you get the waiver immediately you file (you don't wait the 21 months since green card to remove conditions) and show how you entered in good faith. Hopefully the beneficiary has something to show a life of some sort. Bank statements, insurance something of a co-mingling all depends how long they were together. Also affidavits, pics. Maybe some have it some don't. Tell how things didn't work. Be honest. Most get approved and get the 10 year card.

But the send them back na wa o, abi. It's very hard once an immigrate gets a 2 or 10 year card.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I don't really understand these posts so often... People lie and manipulate in relationships all the time, it's best to just move on and live life. Why waste time trying to hurt someone else? My ex broke tons of laws, and committed real fraud, not relationship fraud. I didn't try to sock it to her in spite, I just got a new girl.

Filed: Timeline

I don't really understand these posts so often... People lie and manipulate in relationships all the time, it's best to just move on and live life. Why waste time trying to hurt someone else? My ex broke tons of laws, and committed real fraud, not relationship fraud. I didn't try to sock it to her in spite, I just got a new girl.

And my new Girl just happened to be much much younger lol.

Posters saying there is nothing you can do aren't entirely correct. This will depend largely on what kind of evidence your friend can present to the USCIS. The USCIS won't listen to hearsay, but if you have actual proof of fraud, they will absolutely take it into consideration and give hell when she tries to remove conditions on her green card.

Evidence means hard evidence though. Your friend will need something in writing where she actually says she only married him for a GC.

If there is no evidence, report it still, it will go in her file but it won't be given much weight.

Either way, she will need to file for removal of conditions once the divorce is final. Depending on what sort of evidence she has that marriage was entered into in good faith, she may or may not be able to stay.

Was it you or your friend?

This sounds just one side story.

What you or your friend did that she has to move out so quickly?

Its for a friend. This is the side i know, but divorce after 5 days of entering the US, especially when they have been married for 2 years (waiting time for her passport +gc process) would get anyone angry.

If she came here on CR-1 green card, it is conditional green card. Report to USCIS that you fell victim of fraud. She will have a problem in two years when moving the conditions, since you/your friend can speak up again. I don't think she is out in the clear yet.

Make an infopass appointment at local office. Report everything to them, since she still has to remove her conditions, it will come back. File for divorce, and let it go.

Thank you.

She only have 2 years with that green card if he divorce her now she wont be able to get the permanent green card.... report her and get divorce that is All he can do right now

Thanks.

So not true. She can divorce and file for removal of conditions with waiver. All that is needed to show is that you entered mariage in good faith.

There's no stopping the 10 year card really without hard factual proof which is quite difficult. Hearsay will not work.

Yes. I think she has done her research. :(

Yes ongoing relationship is needed but there is also a provision for divorce waivers if she can prove her case, i want to think she is forward thinking and planned ahead or else she is a very foolish woman to have done that prematurely

Thanks a lot. I feel she has planned it out quite well. :(

Thank you all very much. This is why i love this forum. We try to help each other out as much as we can.

This is not my situation, i just recently found out about this happening to a good friend so i wanted to see if i could help him.

I forgot to mention, my friend is a little bit disabled, but she has been with him for over 2 years (he went to meet her 3-4 times during this period), she will probably use that to file for the divorce. They have gotten married in person thus she knew about his disability.

she has also asked for about USD10,000 for the divorce which my friends parents have agreed to give since they dont want their son (my friend) to go through more stress and depression.

The worse part about all is this is that there is no way to prove it since there is nothing is writing.

This is what i know from the guys side, the girl might have had some problems but knowing the guys family, i doubt they would have done anything bad to her.

My friends father has already reported to the authorities about this and also moved on, but i thought it was a very cruel thing to do, so i posted this forum.

Thank you all very much for all your assistance.

And my new Girl just happened to be much much younger lol.

Don't stop... Move on with your life... That's the message @Sidp69...

Don't try to hurt anybody, but try to do something good to yourself !!

and as 'madtownguy' mentioned go & find new & suitable girl. idea9dv.gif

Ok something new a learned ....i thought she need to proved ongoing relationship with the usc to get the permanent

Generally, yes.

There are three exceptions; 1. Death of USC spouse, 2. Abuse and cruelty by USC spouse, or 3. Good faith marriage ending in divorce.

The first two are in place for more or less obvious reasons, the divorce waiver is in place so that a foreign beneficiary cannot be held 'hostage' by a bitter ex spouse threatening to 'have them deported.' Roughly half of all marriages in the US do end in divorce, and the USCIS knows this. The beneficiary will still have to prove that the marriage was entered into in good faith, and the burden of proof is usually higher than for jointly filed petitions.

Edited by yang-ja

Generally, yes.

There are three exceptions; 1. Death of USC spouse, 2. Abuse and cruelty by USC spouse, or 3. Good faith marriage ending in divorce.

The first two are in place for more or less obvious reasons, the divorce waiver is in place so that a foreign beneficiary cannot be held 'hostage' by a bitter ex spouse threatening to 'have them deported.' Roughly half of all marriages in the US do end in divorce, and the USCIS knows this. The beneficiary will still have to prove that the marriage was entered into in good faith, and the burden of proof is usually higher than for jointly filed petitions.

Thanks.

Would it be easy for her to prove that the 'marriage was entered into in good faith', especially if she is looking to get a divorce within a week of entering the country and also while she was married to him for about 2 years (long distance).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

that's the rub, right there.

but - what she did in the USA, moments ago, wasn't 'the marriage' - the marriage was some time ago....

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Its for a friend. This is the side i know, but divorce after 5 days of entering the US, especially when they have been married for 2 years (waiting time for her passport +gc process) would get anyone angry.

Thank you.

Thanks.

Yes. I think she has done her research. sad.png

Thanks a lot. I feel she has planned it out quite well. sad.png

I don't think if she can plan so many things, she doesn't know that it'll be very difficult for her to do ROC if she gets divorced.

especially when they have been married for 2 years>> but not living together, right?

(waiting time for her passport +gc process) >> What do you mean by 'waiting time for her passport'?

You know Some link is missing here...well I guess best suggestion here is to " move on..."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.