anoras87

need advice from experts. please comment asap

53 posts in this topic

im helping a friend . and i told him that i have a great site where i can possibly ask for opinions and suggestions on what to do. so heres my friends situation.

my friend is a beneficiary from k1. everythign went well, he was able to go to the US, and got married, applied for aos and got his green card after three months. hes working as a nurse and fell in love with another nurse. he is only 6 months in the US ( i know hes stupid, ive told him already so many times) yet he managed to cheat and fell in love with another girl. ,. these are his questions.

can he file for a divorce to his wife even if hes on a 2year green card?

if so, can he marries the new girl after the divorce?

- does he needs to go back to the philippines after divorce and apply another k1? or can he stay with his new girl and adjust status? please help. i have no idea what on earth to tell him. we are so close so all of yall out there who wans to punch him, i want to do the same thing. but hes firm with his decision that he doesnt feel love anymore with his wife, ( his wife's work entails travelling alot, so most of the time according to him hes left alone). could be true but could be an alibi. anyhow, can you all experts help my friend? please let me know what moves he can take. he wants to stay in the us with his new girl. his new girl is a USC, american to be exact.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Moved from K1 Process & Procedures to Effects of Major Family Changes on Immigration Benefits forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Timeline

im helping a friend . and i told him that i have a great site where i can possibly ask for opinions and suggestions on what to do. so heres my friends situation.

my friend is a beneficiary from k1. everythign went well, he was able to go to the US, and got married, applied for aos and got his green card after three months. hes working as a nurse and fell in love with another nurse. he is only 6 months in the US ( i know hes stupid, ive told him already so many times) yet he managed to cheat and fell in love with another girl. ,. these are his questions.

can he file for a divorce to his wife even if hes on a 2year green card?

if so, can he marries the new girl after the divorce?

- does he needs to go back to the philippines after divorce and apply another k1? or can he stay with his new girl and adjust status? please help. i have no idea what on earth to tell him. we are so close so all of yall out there who wans to punch him, i want to do the same thing. but hes firm with his decision that he doesnt feel love anymore with his wife, ( his wife's work entails travelling alot, so most of the time according to him hes left alone). could be true but could be an alibi. anyhow, can you all experts help my friend? please let me know what moves he can take. he wants to stay in the us with his new girl. his new girl is a USC, american to be exact.

1. He can get a divorce.

2. He cannot adjust status based on a new marriage, because he is already a permanent resident - there is no new status to adjust to. He's a permanent resident already.

3. Once his divorce is final, he can file to remove conditions on his green card. If he has a final divorce decree, the joint filing requirement can be waived. He will have to show that the marriage was entered into in good faith, and not solely for immigration purposes.

Those are the legal aspects. On a side not, it does look suspicious to the USCIS that he came to the US, and right after getting his green card fell in love with and "ran off" with a new girl. It does not automatically mean fraud, but it does mean that he should be prepared to show very strong evidence of a bona fide marriage when lifting conditions.

Edited by jaycali

thank you for your reply. is it safe to tell my friend that, once he gets divorce, he would have to prove to the immigration personallel that he didnt use his x wife as entry to US, and that the marriage is entered in good faith, its just that, it didnt work out the way they want it. and then give him a punch afterwards.. am i right ?

Filed: Timeline

thank you for your reply. is it safe to tell my friend that, once he gets divorce, he would have to prove to the immigration personallel that he didnt use his x wife as entry to US, and that the marriage is entered in good faith, its just that, it didnt work out the way they want it. and then give him a punch afterwards.. am i right ?

He should focus on the divorce first.

Once the divorce is final, he will need to file a petition with the USCIS to remove conditions on his 2 year green card. The USCIS will expect to see a final divorce decree, and evidence showing that the marriage was entered into in good faith, and just did not work out. If the USCIS is satisfied that the marriage was entered into in good faith, they will lift conditions, and he will be issued the 10 year green card. Even if he was to get married to this new girl, there is nothing she can do for him as far as removing conditions or adjustment of status.

If I were him, I would evaluate what evidence I have, (they will expect to see a lot.. Co-mingled assets/finances, joint property/bank accounts/insurance policies etc.) pictures and affidavits won't cut it. If he left her for another girl, the bar is raised. I would consult with an attorney, experienced in I-751 divorce waivers.

Edited by jaycali

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You should also mention that if he files for divorce it will not be recognized in the Philippines. The USC must be the one to file if he wants the divorce recognized.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

in defense of my friend,as far as i know the bills were split and his dad bought them a house in the US and a brand new car. my friend is somewhat rich back in the philippines so i dont think it was all her efforts. and my friend told me that he would not run after the property and the car. :) fyi

We don't know the exact circumstances here. He will have an uphill battle, but legally, he can stay if the marriage was entered into in good faith, and if he has enough evidence to back it up.

Fraud is illegal, being an indecisive a$$hole is not.

.. i agree wit the the as$hole part. LOL....

Does the new love of your friend know his character?

i havent ask. but i will surely ask him if the new girl knows about all this because if not. il talk to her new girl and will be the one to inform her of whats happening..

Wow, just wow.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

lots of emotion heart ache and waiting goes into immigration on both sides.........i dont know their ages probably would make a difference if i did........wow just wow

sara

caryh...lol you beat me to it by minutes lol

Edited by sara.....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.