James and Cynthia

Can I Sponsor Sister Inlaw F1?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm a US citizen with a wife from the Philippines. We've been married for over 2 years. We would like to know if it is possible to sponsor my wife's sister to come here for school? Both my wife and I work, and we have a very good income. Can our income be used to satisfy the financial requirements for my wife's sister to get an F1 visa?

Edited by James and Cynthia

James and Cynthia

08-22-2008 - Met my wonderful wife in the Philippines.
03-21-2010 - I proposed to her in the Philippines.
09-07-2010 - I-129F filed for K-1 Visa.
09-12-2010 - NOA1 confirmation email received.
11-02-2010 - I visitied the Philippines again.

02-07-2011 - NOA2 email recieved. Approved.
03-22-2011 - Case at USEM.

04-15-2011 - Interview Date. She passed.
05-01-2011 - POE

06-25-2011 - We were married.

-Life has been great ever since.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You can try but you have to remember that they will expect ties that will cause the sister to leave after school. You paying for the education does not look like a good reason to leave

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

You can try but you have to remember that they will expect ties that will cause the sister to leave after school. You paying for the education does not look like a good reason to leave

What kind of ties does she need to prove she'll go back home? Career goals, money in a bank and/or property?

James and Cynthia

05-01-2011 - POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The CO is supposed to assume she will lie and stay. Having a sister in the US means it is more probable that she is lying ( no offense ) what can she show that compels her to leave ( the things you mentioned are some )

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

You know your $$$ are worth more in the Philippines, even if you send our SIL to a private school.

Timeline

You know your $$$ are worth more in the Philippines, even if you send our SIL to a private school.

We've already helped her through school there. She needs something more. Either she applies for work in another country or continues to go to school. Working there does not pay her well enough. I understand it would be cheaper to continue school in the Philippines, but we thought going to school here would be a great experience.

I see how it would be hard to prove she doesn't intend to stay here. Is there anything we can do to improve her odds of getting a Visa? What have other's shown as proof for intending to go home? Does it pretty much just boil down to needing to have rich parents in the Philippines?

James and Cynthia

05-01-2011 - POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It might help if you mention her current level of education and what she is looking to do in the US. Masters, Doctorate what?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

While the COs are supposed to assume immigrant intent, they also know that the US has some of the world's best schools. Simply put, if she has a good education and certain career goals, it is expected that she wants to study in the US for the quality of education, which in the long run greatly benefits the US. Focus on her career goals and why she wants a US education - That's ultimately what the COs will likely ask her about.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

The sister would need an I-20 to apply for a student visa.

The I-20 is issued by the accepting school.

To get the I-20, the student must meet the financial requirements.

For San Diego Mesa College, a prospective foreign student must have $17,500 in the bank. Income does not count. It must be money in the bank.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

The sister would need an I-20 to apply for a student visa.

The I-20 is issued by the accepting school.

To get the I-20, the student must meet the financial requirements.

For San Diego Mesa College, a prospective foreign student must have $17,500 in the bank. Income does not count. It must be money in the bank.

I would not completely agree with the response on that, money does not have to be in the student account that is first, second if the sponsor show (s)he has a steady income like salary and makes enough to support the student than that is valid.

Even investments, stockholdings, real estate of sponsor is also considerd and are valid form to prove student has the money to go to school in US.

In the case of OP, he can use his and spouse’s income and school would accpet that, might have to write a simple letter say he would bear the financial responsibility.

Same letter can be presented to Co during F1 interview only thing that would go against the applicant is her sister is already here and it might seem this is an attempt to get younger sister to US as well.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

op said sister has the funds.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I will throw in my two cents, since I have already gone through this process. i.e. helping a student get F-1 visa.

First it is an absolute must that the funds be shown to be in cash in a bank account in an amount to completely pay for all tuition and living expenses for one year. JUST HAVING AN INCOME DOES NOT COUNT.

Look at an I-20 form. Item 7 has line items for a) Tuition and fees, b) Living expenses, c), d), etc. The school enters these items and adds them up. They will enter the living expenses calculated from surveys of current students and use that number REGARDLESS IF STUDENT LIVES WITH RELATIVE OR FRIEND FOR FREE.

Then comes Item 8 which has line items for where the total shown in Item 7 will come from. a) Student's personal funds, b) funds from the school (scholarships, grad teaching assistantship, etc.), c) funds from another source (this is where the relative or friends money will be listed), d) etc.

The amounts for 8 a) and c) will only be entered by the University after viewing recent bank account statements showing hard cash.

Now, are there exceptions, do Universities do sloppy work in checking out all of this, can you fake it, etc.? Probably it has been done many times.

Different Universities have different standards. The University we worked through wanted to see bank account statements for several months. This is because they know that people can borrow money to bolster a bank balance, and then have to pay it back once I-20 is issued, etc.

The money is just one issue.

Just as important or more so, is convincing the Interviewing Officer at American Consulate of the student's intention to return to the home country.

As other have mentioned, it is stated right in the websites that the IO IS TO ASSUME THE APPLICANT INTENDS TO STAY IN THE US. It is the burden of applicant to overcome this assumption. So, especially in case where applicant has close relatives in USA, need to come up with a very good story concerning the bright future that awaits the student when they complete the degree in USA and returns to home country to make millions of dollars using the knowledge gained from the degree.

Interestingly, the pending bills in Congress will for the first time not require those applying for F-1 to lie about their intention to remain in USA after the degree is obtained . . . at least in some cases. The pending bills will have provision for those who graduate from USA university with masters or PhD in the STEM areas . . . to be eligible to apply for AOS from F-1 to Green Card status.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Time Line - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

10 YEAR GREEN CARD PROCESS

July 22, 2017  ROC packet sent to Vermont.

July 24, 2017  ROC packet signed for in Vermont.

August 8, 2017  NOA received at house.  15 days since ROC signed for in VSC.

August 12, 2017 ASC appointment received. 19 days since ROC in VSC.

August 25, 2017 BIO completed. 32 days since ROC received in VSC.

August 11, 2018  18 month 'Courtesy Copy' extension letter received.  Critical number  297

October 20, 2018 18 month 'Official' extension letter received.  Critical number 297

December 4, 2018  USCIS Account shows: We approved your Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, 

December 4, 2018, ordered your new card for Receipt # EAC17297003XX, and will mail to the address you gave.

491 days from NOA issued by VSC until Petition approved.

December 7, 2018 USCIS sent notice:  Card mailed.

December 12, 2018 Ten year Green Card received from Lees Summit, MO

499 days from NOA issued by VSC until Green Card received.

- - - - - - - - - - 

CITIZENSHIP PROCESS

December 6, 2018 submitted N-400 application on-line.  Estimated Completion Time: 8 months or August 2019.

December 8, 2018 received notice on USCIS that Biometrics scheduled . . . but the actual date was not yet shown.

December 11, 2018 saw in 'Documents' section of USCIS that Bio scheduled for 24 December 2018.

December 21, 2018 saw on USCIS website that they will be closed 24 December 2018 as extra holiday.

January 9, 2019 went for re-scheduled BIO appointment.  33 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

February 19, 2019 received letter in US mail that Citizenship interview scheduled for 26 March 2019. 74 days after submission on-line.

March 26, 2019 Citizenship interview scheduled for.  109 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

March 26, 2019 Passed Citizenship interview.

April 12, 2019  Received notice that Oath Ceremony had been scheduled for 24 April 2019.  17 days after interview.

April 24, 2019  Oath Ceremony completed.  29 days after interview.     139 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

April 25, 2019  USA Passport Application submitted.

May 3, 2019     USA Passport received.    149 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

May 9, 2019     Certificate of Naturalization and Citizenship returned in mail.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.