Juliet and Steve

How many official birth certificates to take to America?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

How many original/certified birth certificates does an immigrant to America need to bring with them?

Only one? Or more?

Assuming one original certified birth certificate--are there any other places that might demand an original?

Possibilities:

Needed for marriage license?

Needed for AOS?

Needed for Social Security Card?

Needed for driver's license, or voter's registration (eventually)?

Needed for college/university application?

Anything else?

Maybe copies are allowed for anything. But if more than one original is needed it could be difficult (maybe even impossible to get one sent to America) so it seems an important question.

Also--transcripts of High School / College?

A person who runs a GED (High School Equivalency) program advised me that an immigrant should bring one or more copies of all transcripts (high school + college if pertinent) and that often when applying for a college the college will ONLY accept a transcript if it has been sealed by the educational institution, in an envelope with a signature or stamp over the glued flap. She said: "I cannot tell you how many times people have come to me saying that they completed high school, and need to prove that, but do not have a transcript--and can now not get them from a distance."

She said that there is an organization who (for a fee, I'm sure) will review any high school on earth and certify if it meets the standards as acceptable to American schools. Apparently that organization will give the person a certifying letter that the high school meets American standards.

I've found that colleges will accept transcripts in envelopes that are sealed and stamped or signed across the envelope flap.

So an immigrant might need one high school transcript and two or more sealed/signed transcripts might be wise allowing, for instance, acceptance to a community college for an associates (two year degree) and that the second sealed envelope will be useful if the immigrant wishes to continue along to a four year college.

Thoughts anyone?

09/29/2012 - Met Online

11/22/2012 - 11/28/2012 - Steve's 1st Visit

02/08/2013 - I129F Submitted

02/12/2013 - NOA1

02/13/2013 - 03/07/2013 - Steve's 2nd Visit

02/14/2013 - Officially Engaged

06/21/2013 - Case transferred from VSC to TSC

07/24/2013 - NOA2

08/21/2013 - File sent to NVC

08/28/2013 - MNL Case Number received through phone

08/30/2013 - Visa Fee Paid

09/04/2013 - Medical Exam at SLEC (Done in 1 day)

09/25/2013 - Interview Appointment (Under AP with 221G)

10/01/2013 - Additional Document dropped at 2GO SM Cebu

10/08/2013 - CEAC Status Updated to READY

10/30/2013 - CEAC Status Updated to AP

10/30/2013 - CEAC Status ISSUED

11/06/2013 - VISA Received

11/11/2013 - CFO Done

11/15/2013 - POE Detroit

Very interesting. I am going to follow this topic.

I have wonder so long about this, to be honest. Do I need my university certificate to be translated into English when I am going to continue my education after moved to US?

Very good post.

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

Got 4 originals copies with me. SSN office just asked my passport and I-94, no other docs requested. I haven't gone far in regards to docs processing here in US, but still have the 4 originals for future use.

"All my life, without a doubt i give you, all my life, now and forever till the day i die, you and i will share" By: America
                                                               == I am the beneficiary==
AOS - K1 & K2
03-04-2014 ( Day 01) - Mailed
03-06-2014 ( Day 02) - Received
03-17-2014 ( Day 13) - Text and E-mail Notification at 12:50 am
03-21-2014 ( Day 17) - Received I-797C NOA (AOS, AP & EAD) hard copies - 6 mails
03-24-2014 ( Day 20) - Received I-797C NOA (ASC Appointment Notice/ Biometrics schedule) - 2 mails
04-09-2014 ( Day 36) - Biometrics Schedule @ 10&11am
05-30-2014 ( Day 87) - Received EAD combo card (K2 only)
06-09-2014 ( Day 97) - I 485 ( both k1 & k2 ) - Card / Document Production (no interview)
06-12-2014 ( Day 100)- I 485 ( both k1 & k2 ) - Mailed the new card
06-14-2014 ( Day 102)- GC ( both K1 & k2) - Received

Done.

ROC - K1 & K2

03-17-2016 ( Day 01) - Mailed

03-22-2016 ( Day 05) - NOA1

04-19-2016 ( Day 27) - Biometrics Appt. ( only K1 admitted, no K2 Bio Appt. letter received)

03-13-2017 ( Day 328) - Received Biometrics Appt. letter for K2 ( yes, almost a year of waiting!) Scheduled for March 22, 2017

03-22-2017 ( Day 337) - Biometrics Appt. (K2)

04-19-2017 ( Day 364)- USCIS status changed from "Case Was Received" to "Name Updated" (Only the K1 case)

04-26-2017 ( Day 371)-  USCIS status changed from " Name Updated" to "New Card Is Being Produced" ( both K1 and K2 app)

05-01-2017 ( Day 376)-   USCIS status changed from "New Card Is Being Produced" to "Card Was Mailed To Me" ( K2 case)

05-02-2017 ( Day 377)-   USCIS status changed from "New Card Is Being Produced" to "Card Was Mailed To Me" ( K1 case)

05-04-2017 ( Day 379)-  Received GC in the mail ( K2)

05-05-2017 ( Day 380)-  Received GC in the mail ( K1)

Done.

Naturalization

03-10-2017 ( Day 01) - Mailed

03-21-2017 ( Day 11) - Received Text and Email Notification

03-25-2017 ( Day 15) - Received NOA hardcopy

03-27-2017 ( Day 17) - USCIS website status changed " Fingerprint Appointment Was Scheduled"

04-12-2017 ( Day 33) - Biometrics/ Fingerprints & stamped passports for another 1 yr extension.

05-15-2017 ( Day 66) - "In Line for Interview" updated website status

05-17-2017 ( Day 68) - " Interview Was Scheduled" updated website status

05-25-2017 ( Day 76) - Received  the interview letter

06-26-2017 ( Day 108) - Interview Schedule

08-03-2017 ( Day 147)- Received notification online "Oath Ceremony Notice Was Mailed"

One.

To keep. You can show copies to other people, but usually your passport will suffice.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Dear OP

I have only needed one copy some places want to look at but dont keep it. You can always get a notarized copy.

As per the University transcript there are companies that will translate a foreign transcript into a US acceptable version, you will not to check with your college/university in the USA when applying as to which translating companies they accept. From what I know expect to pay $200 for the service.

How many original/certified birth certificates does an immigrant to America need to bring with them?

Only one? Or more?

Assuming one original certified birth certificate--are there any other places that might demand an original?

Possibilities:

Needed for marriage license?

Needed for AOS?

Needed for Social Security Card?

Needed for driver's license, or voter's registration (eventually)?

Needed for college/university application?

Anything else?

Maybe copies are allowed for anything. But if more than one original is needed it could be difficult (maybe even impossible to get one sent to America) so it seems an important question.

Also--transcripts of High School / College?

A person who runs a GED (High School Equivalency) program advised me that an immigrant should bring one or more copies of all transcripts (high school + college if pertinent) and that often when applying for a college the college will ONLY accept a transcript if it has been sealed by the educational institution, in an envelope with a signature or stamp over the glued flap. She said: "I cannot tell you how many times people have come to me saying that they completed high school, and need to prove that, but do not have a transcript--and can now not get them from a distance."

She said that there is an organization who (for a fee, I'm sure) will review any high school on earth and certify if it meets the standards as acceptable to American schools. Apparently that organization will give the person a certifying letter that the high school meets American standards.

I've found that colleges will accept transcripts in envelopes that are sealed and stamped or signed across the envelope flap.

So an immigrant might need one high school transcript and two or more sealed/signed transcripts might be wise allowing, for instance, acceptance to a community college for an associates (two year degree) and that the second sealed envelope will be useful if the immigrant wishes to continue along to a four year college.

Thoughts anyone?

Everytime any office will ask for birthcertificate, they will only get a xerox copy of it. But back in the days, i brought 4 original copy of my BC. And fyi: you be needing 2x2 pictures for AOS. Goodluck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Here in the US you will probably only ever need one. You can usually just make copies or let people make copies. We have two for my fiancee and so far have not needed them.

* Social Security only wanted her passport and the I94

* County only wanted to see her passport for the marriage license.

* Department of Licensing was okay with her passport, the I94 and her Social Security card.

* Bank wanted her passport, social security card and Washington state ID.

Having worked for the agency that determines eligibility for welfare benefits, I can say we would not have needed the BC and would have gone with the passport and been fine with that (of course she wouldn't be eligible for any kind of benefits prior to having her residency (except pregnancy medical, of course).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Very interesting. I am going to follow this topic.

I have wonder so long about this, to be honest. Do I need my university certificate to be translated into English when I am going to continue my education after moved to US?

Very good post.

Thank you all--what I am seeing is that in reality, only one original/certified birth certificate is necessary to bring to America.

Girl from Celebes: I'm not sure on this one. From what I gathered with the person who told me to tell Juliet to bring a copy of her high school transcript that there is an organization that looks at high schools and analyzes them (worldwide) and then defines whether or not that education is acceptable in the US. If not and the immigrant wants proof of passing high school then the immigrant must take and pass the GED (a General Education Diploma).

This person who runs a GED program told me that she believes many students could have proven that they had a high school level degree without doing the GED program--if they had brought a high school transcript with them. It seems that she had run across many who had not brought a high school transcript and had great difficulty getting one (or it was impossible). In these cases the immigrant needed to pass the GED exam before going onto a higher degree.

For you Girl from Celebes, I'm not sure. It may be that a translated college transcript may be necessary, or simply may be useful. It may be that there is a commercial entity, that for a fee will analyze your transcript and analyze the university/college to see if it meets what the college/university that you are applying to needs. If you could get a transcript translated cheaply it would seem wise. But--the college/university may only accept certain translators/translating companies for obvious reasons (after all a hundred dollars given to an overseas translator might well turn terrible grades into remarkably good ones).

I think that for immigrants with college/university degrees, especially advanced ones, life in America can be frustrating since the degree may not be verifiable or the foreign educational institute might not meet American requirements or there may be no way to define if that foreign educational institute meets American requirements. So it might be useful to know that at least in lower education (Bachelors/Associates degrees) that often students can CLEP (College Level Examination Program).

Some colleges/universities accept CLEP credits, some do not. Some are liberal--enough so that a friend of mine attained a Bachelors degree in 18 months (usually taking 4 years). To understand CLEP imagine this: You've a Bachelors degree and did well in Algebra but the new college won't accept your algebra credits.

If this college allows CLEP you pay CLEP perhaps one or two hundred dollars and study and take their test. If you pass--you now have 3 credits (or 4 in some institutions) in Algebra on your transcript. Yes this has a cost but $200 is a whole lot cheaper than what one pays for a semester Algebra course. So even if prior college level courses might not be acceptable to a new college/university--CLEPing may be a way to cheaply and expeditiously recapture what you have already done.

09/29/2012 - Met Online

11/22/2012 - 11/28/2012 - Steve's 1st Visit

02/08/2013 - I129F Submitted

02/12/2013 - NOA1

02/13/2013 - 03/07/2013 - Steve's 2nd Visit

02/14/2013 - Officially Engaged

06/21/2013 - Case transferred from VSC to TSC

07/24/2013 - NOA2

08/21/2013 - File sent to NVC

08/28/2013 - MNL Case Number received through phone

08/30/2013 - Visa Fee Paid

09/04/2013 - Medical Exam at SLEC (Done in 1 day)

09/25/2013 - Interview Appointment (Under AP with 221G)

10/01/2013 - Additional Document dropped at 2GO SM Cebu

10/08/2013 - CEAC Status Updated to READY

10/30/2013 - CEAC Status Updated to AP

10/30/2013 - CEAC Status ISSUED

11/06/2013 - VISA Received

11/11/2013 - CFO Done

11/15/2013 - POE Detroit

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

From my friend's experience with coming to the US to finish his Graduate degree from Brazil, you may need to get a translation done for the transcripts, however, that's uncommon and usually the poorer, less equipped schools. The school should get them directly from your previous schools. This prevents any middle-man and chance of tampering.

In addition, the school should either have someone fluent in the language capable of translating or they should translate it themselves via a service. This also removes the middle-man and prevents tampering.

Personally, I'd recommend calling up a couple colleges, asking their process for transcripts with an international student transferring from a school abroad.

~ Don't forget to 'Vote Up' useful advice from others ~

K1 Visa Journey [April 11, 2013 - August 31, 2014]
[2014-09-20] !!! WEDDING !!!
[2014-09-22] Applied for SSN
[2014-09-26] Marriage License in Snail Mail
[2014-10-22] Notification of SSC in mail, will arrive "within 2 weeks"
[2014-10-27] SSC Arrived!

2015-04-30] Mailed AOS Package!
[2015-06-16] EAD Approved!
[2015-06-16] AP Approved!
[2015-06-23] EAD/AP Card Received!

[2015-10-02] AOS Approved (No Interview)!

[2015-10-07] Greencard Mailed

[2015-10-09] Approval Notice Recieved

[2015-10-09] Greencard Recieved!

I used RapidVisa for my petition; a paperwork service. A K1 is $375.00 to use their hassle-free online application system.

Useful Links:
Igor's List | Advanced Search Tool | Q&A With a Former USCIS Adjudicator
Visa Status Checker (Once you get a Case # from NVC) | Offical USCIS Reasons for a K1 Denial

The advice offered by this user is not legal advice. You should contact an attorney to obtain legal advice.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

~ Moved from K-1 Process to Moving Here and Your New Life in America- topic not about the K-1 process and what documents to bring with you can apply to more than just K-1 visa entrants ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.