sparkles_

Only met in person once, opinions?

26 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I was wondering how many of you guys only met your fiance/fiancee in person once before filing? Did it cause any issues?

I was planning a trip around December to Dubai, but I just moved across the country and got a new job. I won't even bother asking for any time off til 6mo. plus working there and by then I'll have already filed. My thing is, I met my fiance while still legally married (still am, thanks to custody/military/waiting times) so I was wondering should I maybe delay filing to add another visit post divorce being final/more in person proof to our case? What do you guys think? I don't really want to delay anything though...it has already been 5mo since we saw each other :(

I can most likely make it there for the interview/week before interview if that helps at all. I was planning for that at the very least for moral support.

**Adjusting from initial Q1/changed to B1 then overstay, termination of removal proceedings**

(STAND ALONE i-130/TERMINATION OF REMOVAL)

First met: Totally random by asking for directions, June 2014 while on vacation at Disney World (L)

Engaged: Aug. 21, 2014

Married: Dec. 1, 2014

ICE phone contact: sometime in early Dec. 2014- Co-operated, retained attorney who advised the same.

Filed stand alone i-130: January 2015 (VSC)

ICE home visit, schedule time to go to DHS office and NTA issued, date TBD, was not detained and released on own recognizance within an hour: January, 2015.

NOA1: Feb. 20, 2015.

Transfer to CSC to balance workloads: August 2015

1)First Master Calendar Hearing: Sept. 9, 2015-Continued based on pending i-130, new court date in 6mo.

Congressional Inquiry: Dec 8. 2015

***i-130 APPROVED WITHOUT INTERVIEW: Dec. 21, 2015** :dancing:

2)Second Master Hearing: March 9, 2016- Removal proceedings terminated w/o prejudice based on approved i-130!! Remanded to USCIS to begin AOS process :dance:

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

Filed AOS packet: March 16, 2016.

NOA1: March 21, 2016.

Biometrics: April 20, 2016.

RFE Initial evidence: April 21, 2016 for birth cert/translation and Q1/B1 i94s

RFE response received: May 10, 2016.

EAD approval: May 25, 2016- Card arrived at attorney's office! Could not pick up until May 30 because we were at Disney World again :):D

Notice of missing medical exam: July 2016 (Done on purpose to avoid expiration, we will bring it to the interview as stated in notice)

Inquiry about case status: Sept 2016- Case pending interview at local office.

Inquiry about case status again: Oct. 2016- Due to factors not related to your case, anticipate a delay in processing

HAPPY 2YR ANNIVERSARY TO US!!

Infopass #1 at local office: Dec. 19, 2016- Case pending background/security checks, advised when to renew EAD #2

Waiting on interview at local office...... :clock:

Sent EAD renewal: Feb 10, 2016

EAD#2 NOA1: March 3, 2016

INTERVIEW SCHEDULED!!: interview on March 27, 2017

Text notification, new card being produced: March 29, 2017!!!

*~*~*~*818 DAYS TOTAL*~*~*~

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

I met mine once and it hasn't caused an issue. This process though is so long. You can visit during the process, but he can't come here. I've waited 12 months to see him still, he just had the interview and even after you still have to wait. I would start the process as soon as you can, because it will take a long time.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

This will depend on your consulate. Some are fine with those that only had one in person visit and approve the K-1 for them with no problem. Other consulates want to see more visits and "face time". I would read the reviews for your consulate and perhaps ask others that have already gone through your consulate whether or not multiple visits are something you really need to get an approval or not.

Edited by Jay-Kay

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

This will depend on your consulate. Some are fine with hose that only had one in person visit and approve the K-1 for them with no problem. Other consulates want to see more visits and "face time". I would read the reviews for your consulate and perhaps ask others that have already gone through your consulate whether or not multiple visits are something you really need to get an approval or not.

We put everything on hold because of the chance he might get a job offer in UAE, and Abu Dhabi is a million times easier than Cairo and everyone seems to be interviewing no more than 5-10min with few rejections. He got it thankfully, but no one mentions any amount of visits. UAE is kind of quiet in the MENA section with not much to go off of versus Egypt.

**Adjusting from initial Q1/changed to B1 then overstay, termination of removal proceedings**

First met: Totally random by asking for directions, June 2014 while on vacation at Disney World (L)

ICE phone contact: sometime in early Dec. 2014- Co-operated, retained attorney who advised the same.

ICE home visit, schedule time to go to DHS office and NTA issued, date TBD, was not detained and released on own recognizance within an hour: January, 2015.

1)First Master Calendar Hearing: Sept. 9, 2015-Continued based on pending i-130, new court date in 6mo.

2)Second Master Hearing: March 9, 2016- Removal proceedings terminated w/o prejudice based on approved i-130!! Remanded to USCIS to begin AOS process :dance:

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

EAD approval: May 25, 2016- Card arrived at attorney's office! Could not pick up until May 30 because we were at Disney World again :):D

Notice of missing medical exam: July 2016 (Done on purpose to avoid expiration, we will bring it to the interview as stated in notice)

Inquiry about case status again: Oct. 2016- Due to factors not related to your case, anticipate a delay in processing

Infopass #1 at local office: Dec. 19, 2016- Case pending background/security checks, advised when to renew EAD #2

Timeline

I met mine once and it hasn't caused an issue. This process though is so long. You can visit during the process, but he can't come here. I've waited 12 months to see him still, he just had the interview and even after you still have to wait. I would start the process as soon as you can, because it will take a long time.

I am starting everything as soon as my final divorce decree and child custody is in hand. Oh man, 12mo! I'm assuming he is in AP? Hopefully it is short and gets the visa in hand soon.

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

Timeline

No he isn't in AP. He just had the interview and only bc we had an attorney they got everything they needed and there was nothing else to be done. We are just waiting for him to get his passport mailed back. If we wouldn't have had her, I think he would have been denied. It's been a long road. I hope yours goes quicker. :)

Timeline

No he isn't in AP. He just had the interview and only bc we had an attorney they got everything they needed and there was nothing else to be done. We are just waiting for him to get his passport mailed back. If we wouldn't have had her, I think he would have been denied. It's been a long road. I hope yours goes quicker. smile.png

Any reason you guys used a lawyer? I'm considering one just because I am also a previous petitioner, even though it was years ago.

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

I was wondering how many of you guys only met your fiance/fiancee in person once before filing? Did it cause any issues?

I was planning a trip around December to Dubai, but I just moved across the country and got a new job. I won't even bother asking for any time off til 6mo. plus working there and by then I'll have already filed. My thing is, I met my fiance while still legally married (still am, thanks to custody/military/waiting times) so I was wondering should I maybe delay filing to add another visit post divorce being final/more in person proof to our case? What do you guys think? I don't really want to delay anything though...it has already been 5mo since we saw each other sad.png

I can most likely make it there for the interview/week before interview if that helps at all. I was planning for that at the very least for moral support.

Meeting once is fine as long as its more than 2 weeks or more , if its only for like 3 days it can cause problem. I only went to visit my than fiance now husband once but we stayed together in Dubai for 2 month and this was enuff for us to get approve. Overall the embassy in Abu dhabi is easy and straight forward. A lot of us here on Visajourney got approve easliy in Abu dhabi consulate without AP especially for the fact that my husband was Pakistani. I hope this gives you a idea.. GOOd luck..

Peårl £ûvs «Aåmïr»

Any reason you guys used a lawyer? I'm considering one just because I am also a previous petitioner, even though it was years ago.

I agree with Perl. Abu Dhabi is pretty simple. As long as you can prove a strong bonaifde relationship, you are fine. also, unless your case is super complicated, no need for a lawyer, they can do anything to move your case...they simply serve as a mailing service. Many of us have done it alone, including me, and pearl who both went through Abu Dhabi, with Pakistani Husbands. At my husbands interview they were only really worried about one thing, and that was our pictures...she wanted to see more and more, glad we had them! We had two visits only becuase we needed more time together and more evidence.

As for you still being married, wait until you are COMPLETLY divorced etc. before filing. It will be bad if you do not, as they require DIVORCE documents (Sealed) to prove you are free and clear to marry. If they ask questions about you visiting when married, gently remind them you are legally seperated and free to do so.

ask if you have any UAE related questions and good luck!

Timeline

We used an immigration attorney bc we knew there was no possibility of forgetting things and I also made things seem more serious about our relationship. She took care of all the documents for us, put things together right and built a really strong case. She also prepped him for the interview and what he would be asked. She worked hand in hand with the embassy and uscis doing things we could not do as far as communicating with them about certain things. That's the only reason I believe we didn't have any delays or had to go through a&p after the interview.

Timeline

Meeting once is fine as long as its more than 2 weeks or more , if its only for like 3 days it can cause problem. I only went to visit my than fiance now husband once but we stayed together in Dubai for 2 month and this was enuff for us to get approve. Overall the embassy in Abu dhabi is easy and straight forward. A lot of us here on Visajourney got approve easliy in Abu dhabi consulate without AP especially for the fact that my husband was Pakistani. I hope this gives you a idea.. GOOd luck..

He is Egyptian :) I spent 11 days there, it was the most I could get being a fulltime student without risking tanking my GPA during my senior year. I'm hoping this will be enough. Glad to hear it wasn't full of jumping through hoops!

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

Timeline

I agree with Perl. Abu Dhabi is pretty simple. As long as you can prove a strong bonaifde relationship, you are fine. also, unless your case is super complicated, no need for a lawyer, they can do anything to move your case...they simply serve as a mailing service. Many of us have done it alone, including me, and pearl who both went through Abu Dhabi, with Pakistani Husbands. At my husbands interview they were only really worried about one thing, and that was our pictures...she wanted to see more and more, glad we had them! We had two visits only becuase we needed more time together and more evidence.

As for you still being married, wait until you are COMPLETLY divorced etc. before filing. It will be bad if you do not, as they require DIVORCE documents (Sealed) to prove you are free and clear to marry. If they ask questions about you visiting when married, gently remind them you are legally seperated and free to do so.

ask if you have any UAE related questions and good luck!

We have limited photos, I think I have 8-10 of us together because at the time we were not thinking of filing any visa stuff. We were apartment hunting and all because I had a teaching contract in Egypt and I was moving there. Then came this July 3rd second revolution and after the political fallout we changed plans, I didn't go back and he left for Dubai. We have plenty of other proof, tickets, visa, chat logs, call and sms logs, emails, stuff my son has sent him from school like drawings, etc.

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Personally I feel the attorney grants a certain amount of added credibility to a case as if the attorney is a pre-filter, verifying a case before filing. In my experience, some of the agencies also seem to respond quicker and with more detail to the attorney inquiries. Our attorney was able to get USCIS to locate our missing petition whereas I personally was not.

While I feel like we could have filled out the papers on our own, and in some cases I did have to do some paper and inquiry work on my own when our attorney was not available, I think I felt a whole lot better knowing she was there in case something did go wrong.

2012-11-20: Married in USA!

CR-1 Visa (9 Months, 16 Days)
2013-01-21: I-130 Packet Sent
2013-01-29: NOA1
2013-03-25: NOA2
2013-07-08: NVC Case Number Generated
2013-08-21: Medical exam in Moscow
2013-09-17: Expedite request accepted by NVC. Packet forwarded to Moscow embassy.
2013-09-26: Embassy contacted Rita to schedule her interview. Scheduled for 2013-09-30!
2013-09-30: Interview in Moscow - APPROVED!!
2013-10-10: P.O.E. JFK Int'l
2013-11-06: CR-1 Green card in hand!

Removal of Conditions (10 Months, 28 Days)
2015-08-11: i-751 Packet Sent
2015-08-13: NOA Receipt
2015-09-10: Biometrics
2016-06-30: Online Status Changed: New Card Is Being Produced
2016-07-05: i-797 NOA Received
2016-07-09: IR-1 Green card in hand!

Naturalization (6 Months, 29 Days)

2016-10-19: N-400 Filing Date

2016-10-24: N-400 NOA

2016-11-15: Biometrics

2017-04-10: Interview Letter NOA Received

2017-05-18: Interview & Oath

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I was planning a trip around December to Dubai, but I just moved across the country and got a new job. I won't even bother asking for any time off til 6mo. plus working there and by then I'll have already filed. My thing is, I met my fiance while still legally married (still am, thanks to custody/military/waiting times) so I was wondering should I maybe delay filing to add another visit post divorce being final/more in person proof to our case? What do you guys think? I don't really want to delay anything though...it has already been 5mo since we saw each other sad.png

I see no problem if you met only once, in general, it should be within the past two years before you filed the petition, in your case just 5 mos has past. You just have to prove that your relationship is bonafide. Include all evidences as much as you can ( chat log, call log, pictures, boarding pass, passport stamps, etc. )

Being there for the interview, is a good idea after having your petition approved.

08-08-2013 i-129F sent

08-12-2013 Packet Received

08-15-2013 Check Encashed

08-16-2013 Alien registration number changed

08-19-2013 NOA1 hard copy received

09-03-2013 NOA2 Approval - Email Notification Received

09-05-2013 NOA2 Hard Copy Received

10-16-2013 MNL Case Number Received/ NVC received

10-21-2013 Left NVC

10-22-2013 Consulate Received

11-09-2013 Embassy Letter Received

11-18-2013 Medical at St. Luke's

12-06-2013 Embassy Interview - Approved

12-13-2013 Visa Issued

12-18-2013 Visa Received<p>
01-30-2013 Arrived in US
03-23-2014 Got Married
04-29-2014 Sent i-485 package via USPS ( with i-131 & i-765 )
05-14-2014 USPS returned our package ( the package was a mess, poor service from USPS priority 2-day mail service)
05-14-2014 Resent our package this time via UPS
05-16-2014 Chicago Lockbox Acceptance/ Biometric Fee check encashed
05-21-2014 Email and Text Confirmation received
05-23-2014 AOS Filling Fee encashed

07-30-2014 EAD/Advance Parole Approved

08-08-2014 EAD/Advance Parole Combo Card Received

We were apartment hunting and all because I had a teaching contract in Egypt and I was moving there.

Include some proof of this :) That shows that you were serious about being together even if not in the US :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.